Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
MHV9218

Q60 / Q101 Favoring

I see and shoot the Q60 and Q101 pretty frequently, and ever since last summer there've been fewer and fewer of the older buses on the routes. Of the last 40 or so buses I've seen/shot on the Q60 and Q101 combined (mainly the Q60), all of them have been O7 OGs and NGs. If you do the math on that, it just doesn't make sense. There should be a few O5s/RTSes thrown in on the Q60, and the Q101, which I haven't seen an RTS on in 11 months, that should be at least half RTSes if you do the math for LGA.

Do dispatchers favor newer buses on these Manhattan-bound lines, or is it just really odd luck? And from somebody who rides these lines daily, are there certain hours that the older fleet tend to go out, if ever?

I see and shoot the Q60 and Q101 pretty frequently, and ever since last summer there've been fewer and fewer of the older buses on the routes. Of the last 40 or so buses I've seen/shot on the Q60 and Q101 combined (mainly the Q60), all of them have been O7 OGs and NGs. If you do the math on that, it just doesn't make sense. There should be a few O5s/RTSes thrown in on the Q60, and the Q101, which I haven't seen an RTS on in 11 months, that should be at least half RTSes if you do the math for LGA.

Do dispatchers favor newer buses on these Manhattan-bound lines, or is it just really odd luck? And from somebody who rides these lines daily, are there certain hours that the older fleet tend to go out, if ever?

It is odd luck since I saw an RTS on the Q101 yesterday. Buses are almost always given out as needed with no preference to certain lines except Express Buses (MCI's) and artic routes. However you do have a point as under Green Bus Lines the Q10 and Q60 were the favorite routes of the owners, but this was back in the 1950s and 1960s.

Edited by Bounad Hanhic

Interesting, must just be bad luck on my part then. Just can't work out how the numbers make sense though.

Well, the Q10 is the most precisely scheduled and on time route and 100% Orion VII's, the Q60 and Q101 all serve pretty important corridors so I think probably that is the reason, so the (MTA)'s image is so called improved, however there are Orion V's and RTS'es still on these two routes...

I saw an RTS on the Q60 yesterday and did a double-take. I remember when there used to be crummy old Orion V's on that route with no A/C and ripped seats back with Green Lines. Uch.

I believe for the Q101, its also about what interlines with the route and what route it interlines with. The Q60 hardly runs anything thats not an NG/OG hybrid. You'll spot some RTSs & Orion Vs every once in a while.