Construction Has Started On The Modern Streetcar Line!

Hi! Construction has begun here in Tucson on the Modern Streetcar line (I love that name).

Presently, construction is on North Fourth Avenue between East University Boulvard and East Congress Street and on East Congress Street between Toole and Stone Avenues. The good news is that the Ronstadt is open, though Sun Tran bus routes are on detours Downtown due to Congress being closed.

When completed, the Modern Streetcar line will run from North Park Avenue and East University Boulevard to the west side of the Santa Cruz River on West Congress Street via University, Fourth and Congress.

Why the Modern Streetcar? I think it's to distinguish it from the Heritage Streetcar that currently runs from North Euclid Avenue and East University Boulevard to East Eighth Street and North Fourth Avenue (Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays).

It will be interesting to see if the vintage streetcar will run the full route and how frequently the modern streetcars will run.

Presently, our best time is on the #8 Broadway-Sixth Avenue which is every ten minutes during the day portion on Weekdays, fifteen minutes during the same on Saturdays and every twenty minutes during the same on Sundays. The #4 East Speedway has ten and fifteen minutes during the day portion on Weekdays.

For detour updates, please visit http://www.suntran.com

Wow, so there is a streetcar movement going on I see. They are doing the same thing here in Atlanta. I'm wondering if it is more for tourists or the locals.

The lines that exist in Tucson, are they heavily utilized? Building another one, will it really be helpful for everyone there? Interested in talking with other cities that have one in use.

Archived