LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MTA worker suspended after calling out sick to attend Capitol riot
By David MeyerJanuary 8, 2021 | 3:57pm | Updated

A Metro-North worker called out sick to be part of the mob that stormed the US Capitol — and he has been suspended amid an FBI investigation into his role, The Post has learned.

Will Pepe, a laborer at Metro-North’s Brewster rail yard, is under investigation for participating in the mob that briefly halted Congress as it was certifying the election of President-elect Joe Biden, the MTA confirmed.

Pepe, 31, of Beacon, N.Y., called out sick Wednesday to attend the event, an MTA source said. He has been suspended without pay as the agency seeks to fire him.

“Effective immediately this individual has been suspended from Metro-North without pay and will be disciplined in accordance with their collective bargaining agreement pending an investigation,” MTA spokesman Ken Lovett said in a statement.

“This alleged conduct is abhorrent and goes against the values of Metro-North, New York and the nation.”

The seven-year MTA employee did not return a call for comment.

Lol, of course he didn't.... Curious as to how they found out though.

Not that I want to remotely defend this character in-particular, but generally speaking, this is why you don't tell other co-workers shit (or broadcast it on whatever social media medium you use) in regards to what you plan on doing during your days off.... Did he end up on some random person's video & someone within the MTA that knew of him happened to see that video or something? LMFAO if that was the case... **insert Nelson Muntz laughing gif here**

Regardless, this is a large reason why you have companies that (really) don't want give sick days, if not required by law - people abuse them & this is a prime example of it.... You have so many people across the nation actively job hunting right now & you have rhodes scholars like this dude squandering his employment (I'd even argue his employability, in this particular case) away..... Moron :lol:

Metro-North: northbound trains are skipping Williams Bridge due to stairway repairs

Also Metro-North: during hourly service, northbound trains are running on the southbound track in order to stop at Williams Bridge anyway.

A nice gesture, even if you gotta play musical tracks through the Bronx, lol

5 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Metro-North: northbound trains are skipping Williams Bridge due to stairway repairs

Also Metro-North: during hourly service, northbound trains are running on the southbound track in order to stop at Williams Bridge anyway.

A nice gesture, even if you gotta play musical tracks through the Bronx, lol

That station needs all the help it can get. REALLY rundown and creepy. I used it a few times years ago when I had to be up there and ugh... What a mess that station is. Needs better lighting too...

2 hours ago, GreatOne2k said:

Marble Hill and Fordham should become off peak express stations to increase service at little to no cost and to boost ridership by making service slightly more attractive.

They probably didn't do that on purpose, considering everyone would be gunning for the subway.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That station needs all the help it can get. REALLY rundown and creepy. I used it a few times years ago when I had to be up there and ugh... What a mess that station is. Needs better lighting too...

I take it you've never been to the Melrose station then...

6 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

I take it you've never been to the Melrose station then...

The Melrose station isn't run down at all.

8 hours ago, GreatOne2k said:

All (or most) trains would stop there during hourly service outside rush hours. At one time Marble Hill was an off peak express station.

Most trains do stop at Marble Hill, peak and off-peak, hence my confusion.

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The Melrose station isn't run down at all.

Most trains do stop at Marble Hill, peak and off-peak, hence my confusion.

Most express trains skip Marble Hill, my proposal was to have all (or most) express trains stop at Marble Hill, especially when local service is hourly to double service to that station (as well as Fordham).

2 minutes ago, GreatOne2k said:

Most express trains skip Marble Hill, my proposal was to have all (or most) express trains stop at Marble Hill, especially when local service is hourly to double service to that station (as well as Fordham).

I disagree with that.  The station is pretty well served. You don't need every single Hudson Line train stopping there. On weekends for example, I have semi-express service from Riverdale to Grand Central. Those trains all stop at Marble Hill, and Marble Hill gets at least two trains an hour off-peak.  The core ridership wants 125th St and Grand Central. 

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I disagree with that.  The station is pretty well served. You don't need every single Hudson Line train stopping there. On weekends for example, I have semi-express service from Riverdale to Grand Central. Those trains all stop at Marble Hill, and Marble Hill gets at least two trains an hour off-peak.  The core ridership wants 125th St and Grand Central. 

On the weekends, Marble Hill & Riverdale get 1 train per hour. (Weekdays off-peak is when the semi-express trains stop there).

I agree, I think Yonkers & Marble Hill should be served by the weekend express trains.

The Poughkeepsie Expresses takes two hours to travel between GCT and POU. I remember when they use to stop at Matble Hill and Yonkers a little over a decade ago. IIRC the run time between GCT and POU was an hour and a half back then. The run time got longer over the years for whatever reason.

Considering the long run time, express trains should continue to skip Marble Hill and Yonkers IMO. 

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The Poughkeepsie Expresses takes two hours to travel between GCT and POU. I remember when they use to stop at Matble Hill and Yonkers a little over a decade ago. IIRC the run time between GCT and POU was an hour and a half back then. The run time got longer over the years for whatever reason.

Considering the long run time, express trains should continue to skip Marble Hill and Yonkers IMO. 

I think that was after they had those incidents back in 2013-2014 (they had the derailment in Spuyten Duyvil, a derailment somewhere on the New Haven Line, and two separate incidents where track workers got killed) so they did a whole safety audit and I'm sure increasing the runtimes ended up being part of it.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

9 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

On the weekends, Marble Hill & Riverdale get 1 train per hour. (Weekdays off-peak is when the semi-express trains stop there).

I agree, I think Yonkers & Marble Hill should be served by the weekend express trains.

What are you talking about? I LIVE here and have been taking the semi-express train for years on weekends. It's TWO trains per hour on weekends and has been for over five years now. <_< I went to the Metro-North hearing and spoke at it when we got added service, so I think I know how many trains we get. The semi-express train on weekends stops at Riverdale, Spuyten Duyvil and Marble Hill, then no more stops until 125th, unless there is a Yankee game. If there's a Yankee game, then it stops at East 153rd St as well. Then there is another train that makes all local stops from Croton-Harmon, so that's two right there. 

Maybe you're checking the schedule now? If so, then yes, off-peak AND weekends, we get one train per hour now because of COVID. That is NOT the regular schedule though. There is no semi-express train now during the weekdays off-peak. Peak service is two trains an hour, which make all stops, and we pay off-peak fare all day.

Normally during the week, we have some semi-express trains that run non-stop from 125th to Spuyten Duyvil. Those semi-express trains also skip Marble Hill, but there are also some that stop at Marble Hill only after GCT and 125th, and then run non-stop into Westchester, so under normal conditions, Marble Hill gets plenty of express service, both during the week and weekends. Off-peak on weekdays, most semi-express trains serving Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil also stop at Marble Hill, then run express to 125th. Only a handful of semi-express trains that serve Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil skip Marble Hill, and those are later trains at night that run to Spuyten Duyvil, Riverdale, and then into Westchester.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

11 hours ago, GreatOne2k said:

To clarify, I am NOT thinking about the current schedule due to COVID. I'm talking about the regular schedule, both during the week and on weekends. Plenty of semi-express trains serve Marble Hill.

From a connectivity standpoint, the off-peak Hudson Line express trains should be stopping at Yonkers and Marble Hill. Yonkers is one of the largest cities in NY state and has a nice downtown area that can attract commuters and leisure travel. Marble Hill has the (1) transfer and better UWS access, and the proposed alternate Hudson Line Penn Access service is probably a few decades away/ Adding these two stops might add 2-4 minutes of travel time to GCT but a lot of new travel options would open up. Off-peak express trains used to stop at Yonkers and Marble Hill, so there's precedent, and in a post-COVID world, MNR needs to be increasing connectivity on existing routes.

Basically, the ideal service plan is to operate 4 tph on the Hudson Line off-peak. Two local trains making all stops between GCT and Croton-Harmon, and two Poughkeepsie express trains stopping at Marble Hill, Yonkers, Tarrytown, and Ossining. That way, any rider going to any station has at most a 30 minute wait. and probably less, for the next train.

20 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

To clarify, I am NOT thinking about the current schedule due to COVID. I'm talking about the regular schedule, both during the week and on weekends. Plenty of swmi-express trains serve Marble Hill.

My proposal is based on the current schedule due to COVID, since that will likely be the schedule for a while.

7 minutes ago, GreatOne2k said:

My proposal is based on the current schedule due to COVID, since that will likely be the schedule for a while.

That is because of low ridership, nothing more. I have been using those trains since the height of the pandemic and there are plenty of seats available, so why should more costs be run up just because? Most Metro-North riders are working from home and/or driving in when they do come in. I believe ridership at one time was down 90%. It's not that low now, but still nowhere near what it normally is. It would be a waste. 

This is what the trains looked like during rush hour back in March... 1200x0.jpg

Little by little ridership has returned on Metro- North, but we're talking going from 90% to 70% or something along those lines of "normal ridership". That is still far too low to justify adding more service to run express trains. I'm not wild about hourly service, but the trains are on-time. By comparison, bus ridership is doing better. Not off the charts, but some buses are actually crowded.

@Via Garibaldi 8 That's exactly our point. The ridership is still way down so it seems unlikely that they will return to the "normal" schedule anytime soon. So for now, this is the schedule that we're referring to when we talk about which stations should be served by the off-peak express trains.

5 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 That's exactly our point. The ridership is still way down so it seems unlikely that they will return to the "normal" schedule anytime soon. So for now, this is the schedule that we're referring to when we talk about which stations should be served by the off-peak express trains.

And where is this service supposed to be coming from? I didn't even realize they adjusted the schedules to run more service, which is nuts. I give kudos to Metro-North providing more service when the ridership has only inched up a little bit. I am sure based on this change from September, that they will provide more service as soon as they can, as they are obviously closely tracking ridership.

3 hours ago, Caelestor said:

If trains aren't running full, then fewer passengers will be inconvenienced if the express trains make a couple extra stops. Overall ridership will benefit because riders at Yonkers and Marble Hill would have 2 trains per hour instead of 1, which makes a big difference.

What do you mean IF? Ridership is still down over 80% on most days. https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/ridership

And where is this service coming from? The problem is no one is clear about anything. Two trains an hour from where? You're proposing to increase the commutes of people from areas like Poughkeepsie?  Not sure what the point would be, since a lot of those express trains run just a little before the local trains to and from Croton-Harmon. You'd have to adjust all of the schedules and potentially piss off people that have long enough commutes as it is. I actually just looked at the schedules. They already added back some service when ridership hasn't even gone up 10%, so clearly they are adding back service as they can.