LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

I rode a train to Croton-Harmon today, was a great trip great view of the hudson and the suburbs. The only thing bad was the train consisted of 10 Shoreliners and a genny . A mix of Shoreliner's I, III the trip was sort of shaky all the way up. I think it's time to get new equipment on that line, Shoreliners are really outdated. But's thats my opinion, but the good thing is i rode an M7 on my way back, smooth and quiet. :)

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rode a train to Croton-Harmon today, was a great trip great view of the hudson and the suburbs. The only thing bad was the train consisted of 10 Shoreliners and a genny . A mix of Shoreliner's I, III the trip was sort of shaky all the way up. I think it's time to get new equipment on that line, Shoreliners are really outdated. But's thats my opinion, but the good thing is i rode an M7 on my way back, smooth and quiet. :)

What train had 10 bom's on it? The norm is 7, after the washout on the Danbury last year there were instances of 8, I've never seen 10. Chances are they were moving equipment to the shop in Harmon.

The Shoreliners may be a little outdated but there is no reason to replace them.

The M7's on the other hand, while newer equipment, they are also the roughest riding trains in the fleet. The scary thing is they are better than they used to be. Try walking down the isle leaving 125th Street on track three and getting sent clear across CP 5 to track 1 @ CP 6. You will get thrown around.

Yes, it was 4857 entering LIC Yard tk 12 at 3:55pm. At 6:50 it was "dragged" to the Montauk by a switching engine and got re-railed at 9:50. All LIC trains were cancelled and some started from Jamaica instead. There is still track/switch damage in the yard.

Edited by Snowblock

Anyone know how often tracks are replaced? At Lynbrook, track 1A has terrible rail kink (I didn't have my phone or a camera with me) and it causes trains to sway violently, barely missing the platform edge.

Looking at engraving on the rail it says the year. I saw the rails to the W/B track to the B platform it says or said 1988. Edited by N4 Via Merrick Rd

Looking at engraving on the rail it says the year. I saw the rails to the W/B track to the B platform it says or said 1988.

Looking at engraving on the rail it says the year. I saw the rails to the W/B track to the B platform it says or said 1988.

1988???!!! How can those rails keep up for almost 25 years? They should apply the FastTrack program to the LIRR to fix that. smh

Track crews pop up every once in a while at Hicksville. Yesterday I actually saw a worktruck on train wheels (I don't want to say "truck" twice)... what they were doing I don't know because I was on the other track and couldn't see. When I came back in the afternoon it seemed like they'd shuffled the ballast around a bit.

Tuesday my train was pulling into NHP but I felt it slow down well before the crossing. I heard the car accelerate and then the brakes went BIE (heard the air dump) and it stopped. The crew reset the brakes and then the train crawled (and I mean human crawling pace, not crawling for a train) into the station.

Edited by Joel Up Front

Metro-North janitors make $30 an hour!?

No. A basic "janitor" (official title is custodian), one that does not handle power equipment or drives the recycle truck, top out at $25.25 an hour. It takes five full years of continuous employment to make that amount, with the first years rate being 70%. Coach cleaners (those that clean the trains) make less.

Custodians that handle power equipment (pressure washers, weed trimmers, etc) make a little more and custodian/CDL drivers make a little more than that. None are close to $30.

• 5 weeks later...

There'd better be a good reason as to why the 5:29 PM train from Hicksville to Penn has been late every day since last Monday. From what I've seen, the 5:24 from Ronkonkoma is the one that gets the passengers and even when they were able to get the schedules back to normal (to the extent that the LIRR can) the trains were fine. Then last Monday it ends up 14 minutes late, then Tuesday 11 minutes late... I noticed it had 12 cars. Why would a train that doesn't even get SRO end up with two extra cars?