LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So when going along the <7> curve at Hunterspoint Av this morning I noticed 2 MNR cars stored in the building next to the abandoned LIRR trains. Does anyone what's going on? Because I thought the building was owned by Freshdirect now.

So when going along the <7> curve at Hunterspoint Av this morning I noticed 2 MNR cars stored in the building next to the abandoned LIRR trains. Does anyone what's going on? Because I thought the building was owned by Freshdirect now.

I'm guessing they do work on M7 cars at Arch Street

Not because of consolidation. Bombardier is doing the PTC install, Since Bombardier had shop set up there in the past, the cars are being sent over there.

Poor word choice on my part -- meaning they don't want to set up a second shop. Here's a vid of a transfer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwojBF3HEew

Does anyone know when the MARC train will run ... if the deal even went through.

I've *heard* that they'll be assigned to 613 in the AM (6:57 from PJ, arr HPA 8:43) and 664 in the evening (5:47 from HPA, arr PJ 7:30). These are both busy, non DM runs so makes sense from allocation/utilization perspective seeing as they'll probably want to keep the cars operating in solid sets. Edited by RR503

I've *heard* that they'll be assigned to 613 in the AM (6:57 from PJ, arr HPA 8:43) and 664 in the evening (5:47 from HPA, arr PJ 7:30). These are both busy, non DM runs so makes sense from allocation/utilization perspective seeing as they'll probably want to keep the cars operating in solid sets.

Hmm I thought they'd run on a Montauk branch train. 

Edited by IAlam

Don't think that anyone would argue that ENY, as far as LIRR station goes, is a dump.

As is the neighborhood surrounding it.

The MTA seems to have a long history of ditching or deprioritizing repairs for blighed sections of town. Ben carson's Titanic remark, while senseless in reality, does resonate with transit equity.

If infrastructure sucks for some, it's only a matter of time before it drags the whole system down.

As @ShadeJay put it, "the year the MTA is dragged to hell."

Cuomo just announced his plan for reduced fare on the LIRR this summer http://abc7ny.com/traffic/cuomo-calls-on-lirr-to-reduce-fares-during-penn-station-repairs/2118544/

LMAO... Veronique Hakim is a joke.  Now after Cuomo makes the "suggestion", she's singing that tune, but just last week she said:

Asked about the decision not to offer discounts, Ms. Hakim said, “We’ve chosen to focus on providing service and creating a multifaceted plan, which we think gives customers as many options as possible.”

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/12/nyregion/lirr-train-schedule-penn-station-repairs.html?_r=0

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

LMAO... Veronique Hakim is a joke. Now after Cuomo makes the "suggestion", she's singing that tune, but just last week she said:

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/12/nyregion/lirr-train-schedule-penn-station-repairs.html?_r=0

That's why nobody wanted to become the leader of ANY transit agency. They take all the bad publicity, while all the good thing that happens credit goes to who ever govern the city or state... Edited by Mtatransit

Hey does anyone know how changing destinations work with e-Tickets? Like I have a ticket to Atlantic, but I want to go to Penn instead. I know with physical tickets they are lenient but idk if the rules with e-Tickets are stricter. 

Hey does anyone know how changing destinations work with e-Tickets? Like I have a ticket to Atlantic, but I want to go to Penn instead. I know with physical tickets they are lenient but idk if the rules with e-Tickets are stricter.

Not sure about this summer but if the zones are the same, the ticket is fine. This summer AT ticket are cheaper than Penn so while they are in the same zone you cannot use a AT ticket to Penn Edited by Mtatransit

I use e-Tickets a lot now that it's the summertime and I went back to the express bus more than MNRR. From what I've seen e-Tix are treated just like regular tickets. I've only had mine scanned once. All of the others have been checked visually. I don't think they're taking them too seriously in terms of scrutinizing them in part because they want people to use the app. I personally love it. No paper wasted, more secure and no bums haggling me for change as I try to get tickets.

I wonder how a 10 pack works though? When I buy singles, I usually get three or four peak tickets at once and then use them here and there depending on traffic and if I feel like taking the train or the express bus.

I wonder how a 10 pack works though?

They work the same.  When you buy a ten trip, ten individual rides go into the ticket wallet.  The only difference is when a ten trip off peak is stepped up to the peak fare it costs a couple dollars more to make up the discount as it does with a paper ten trip.

Edited by Truckie

They work the same.  When you buy a ten trip, ten individual rides go into the ticket wallet.  The only difference is when a ten trip off peak is stepped up to the peak fare it costs a couple dollars more to make up the discount as it does with a paper ten trip.

Interesting. I just checked the app on my phone and it's $92.50 for ten peak tickets. I don't see the advantage of getting a ten pack for peak rides when the price is exactly the same for singles.  Are they that afraid about the crowds at peak periods? I mean they are saving money by using less paper. If anything give those people a discount for being environmentally sound. I really would like MNRR to keep working on reducing waste on that end. All of those paper tickets should be recycled.

I use e-Tickets a lot now that it's the summertime and I went back to the express bus more than MNRR. From what I've seen e-Tix are treated just like regular tickets. I've only had mine scanned once. All of the others have been checked visually. I don't think they're taking them too seriously in terms of scrutinizing them in part because they want people to use the app. I personally love it. No paper wasted, more secure and no bums haggling me for change as I try to get tickets.

I wonder how a 10 pack works though? When I buy singles, I usually get three or four peak tickets at once and then use them here and there depending on traffic and if I feel like taking the train or the express bus.

Good to know thanks!

Interesting. I just checked the app on my phone and it's $92.50 for ten peak tickets. I don't see the advantage of getting a ten pack for peak rides when the price is exactly the same for singles.  Are they that afraid about the crowds at peak periods? I mean they are saving money by using less paper. If anything give those people a discount for being environmentally sound. I really would like MNRR to keep working on reducing waste on that end. All of those paper tickets should be recycled.

Shouldn't the prices match their physical ticket counterparts? 

Shouldn't the prices match their physical ticket counterparts?

They do.

There is no, or never was, a discount of a peak ten trip ticket. The off peak ten trip is discounted 15% over the cost of ten one way off peak tickets.

Edited by Truckie

They do.

There is no, or never was, a discount of a peak ten trip ticket. The off peak ten trip is discounted 15% over the cost of ten one way off peak tickets.

I'm aware of that, but it makes no sense to buy a 10 pack peak aside from not having to get tickets over and over. Buying in advance there should be some discount.