LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

The Ten-Trip tickets are transferable which means you can use them for multiple people in your party. According to an LIRR conductor I asked, It used to be that you couldn't use them for other people. Also, Compared to the O/W and R/T tickets, the 10-trip is valid for 6 months as opposed to 60 days. I guess that's why the MTA feels the fares are justified for the Peak ten trip ticket.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ten-Trip tickets are transferable which means you can use them for multiple people in your party. According to an LIRR conductor I asked, It used to be that you couldn't use them for other people. Also, Compared to the O/W and R/T tickets, the 10-trip is valid for 6 months as opposed to 60 days. I guess that's why the MTA feels the fares are justified for the Peak ten trip ticket.

Peak riders already pay way too much. I agree with VG8 it's odd that there is no discount, and 6 months doesn't justify anything IMO.

Peak riders already pay way too much. I agree with VG8 it's odd that there is no discount, and 6 months doesn't justify anything IMO.

You're correct, none of those reasons that I stated, do justify it. This an example law of supply, more people riding during peak hours means charging more. Moreover, let's look at the bigger picture, LIRR fares are ridiculous all around. $5.75 Off Peak and $8.00 Peak for a Zone 3-Zone 4 (I.E. Jamaica to Valley Stream) ticket is ridiculous.

You're correct, none of those reasons that I stated, do justify it. This an example law of supply, more people riding during peak hours means charging more. Moreover, let's look at the bigger picture, LIRR fares are ridiculous all around. $5.75 Off Peak and $8.00 Peak for a Zone 3-Zone 4 (I.E. Jamaica to Valley Stream) ticket is ridiculous.

Cause MTA logic 

LIRR = Pay more + Shitty service

MNR = Pay less + Better service

Cause MTA logic

LIRR = Pay more + Shitty service

MNR = Pay less + Better service

MNR is certainly more equitable. They don't charge peak fares if you travel only to the Bronx. I was doing some research, A ride from Fordham to New Rochelle is only $3.00 and, to White Plains. All day, everyday. No peak fares here. But, LIRR is whole other story. If you're traveling to the city from Nassau County, you're better off with NICE and NYCT. And NICE is not nice.

Delays  Posted: 06/29/2017  7:28AM 

The 5:09AM train from Port Washington due Penn at 5:52AM continues to be delayed outside Amtrak's East River Tunnels due to a track condition. A relief train is on scene to assist customers at this time. 

GG I take that train every once in awhile when I don't want to pay peak fares, thank god today I didn't ride it today. 

Update:

Delays  Posted: 06/29/2017  8:00AM 

The 5:09AM train from Port Washington due Penn at 5:52AM has been canceled due to a track condition outside Amtrak's East River Tunnels. Customers have been accommodated by a relief train to Hunterspoint Ave., where NYC Transit is cross-honoring LIRR tickets via the 7 subway.

Edited by IAlam

So Amtrak released it schedule with diverted trains to Grand Central. I checked the ticket prices and its $27 vs MNRR $25 peak fare to Poughkeepsie, which makes Amtrak a reasonable alternative for peak riders. for $2 more they can go to Grand Central a little faster.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks . I was thinking of making an account instead of rushing to ticket machines, etc

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Certainly helpful in those last minute situations! i.e. if your coming from the D N R train to the LIRR at Atlantic.

Certainly helpful in those last minute situations! i.e. if your coming from the D N R train to the LIRR at Atlantic.

Exactly. It says it has to be activated before boarding. Is that true? Can you board the train first and activate the ticket before the conductor comes?

Exactly. It says it has to be activated before boarding. Is that true? Can you board the train first and activate the ticket before the conductor comes?

Ha, please. I took Metro-North last week. I've been riding long enough to know what to do when. I sat down and waited to see if they would come around and since they didn't I never activated that ticket, so I'll keep it for next time. I always wait until they come around before activating and I have yet to hit a dead spot when activating the ticket, so I wouldn't bother. If they come around and it isn't activated they can come back to you that's all. They may get cranky that you didn't have it activated already but you can always play dumb or say you lost internet. Things happen.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Does anyone use MTA eTix? How is it?

It's great. I use it a lot when I buy singles, which I started doing last year when I didn't buy monthly passes and switched back to taking the express bus. It's really helpful. I just buy tickets when I'm in the office or at home and it saves me from waiting in line or worst of all being hit up for money in Grand Central, not to mention the skimmers. I however still buy my monthly tickets from the machine, though I'm even considering doing that on the app too. The only thing for me is they don't sell the monthly passes on the app yet with the Hudson Raillink included so that's another reason why I still get monthly passes from the machine, but I rarely do that option unless my express bus usage is going to be really minimal (i.e. on weekends only).

One other thing that the MNRR version does is it allows you to split payments between two credit cards. I've considered trying that out for the hell of it, but haven't yet. Nice to have as an option though especially if your ticket is really expensive.

It's great. I use it a lot when I buy singles, which I started doing last year when I didn't buy monthly passes and switched back to taking the express bus. It's really helpful. I just buy tickets when I'm in the office or at home and it saves me from waiting in line or worst of all being hit up for money in Grand Central, not to mention the skimmers. I however still buy my monthly tickets from the machine, though I'm even considering doing that on the app too. The only thing for me is they don't sell the monthly passes on the app yet with the Hudson Raillink included so that's another reason why I still get monthly passes from the machine, but I rarely do that option unless my express bus usage is going to be really minimal (i.e. on weekends only).

One other thing that the MNRR version does is it allows you to split payments between two credit cards. I've considered trying that out for the hell of it, but haven't yet. Nice to have as an option though especially if your ticket is really expensive.

Yeah, the splitting tickets option sounds reasonable for people further north with the expensive tickets. Are the eTix and easy pay accounts linked?

Yeah, the splitting tickets option sounds reasonable for people further north with the expensive tickets. Are the eTix and easy pay accounts linked?

I believe a different vendor is used for the App. You can pay with whatever credit or debit card you like or Masterpass. I never store any cards out of security concerns so I do one use transactions.

Ha, please. I took Metro-North last week. I've been riding long enough to know what to do when. I sat down and waited to see if they would come around and since they didn't I never activated that ticket, so I'll keep it for next time. I always wait until they come around before activating and I have yet to hit a dead spot when activating the ticket, so I wouldn't bother. If they come around and it isn't activated they can come back to you that's all. They may get cranky that you didn't have it activated already but you can always play dumb or say you lost internet. Things happen.

Saying "activate before boarding" is a cheap way to make money. From Fleetwood to Scarsdale, for example, I can roughly take 10 trips on 3 passes (30% chnace the conductor comes arround). If I use ETix and "activate" before he comes to me, 10 Trips needs 10 passes.

Thus, there is no beneifit on activating your ticket before she/he comes around.

Saying "activate before boarding" is a cheap way to make money. From Fleetwood to Scarsdale, for example, I can roughly take 10 trips on 3 passes (30% chnace the conductor comes arround). If I use ETix and "activate" before he comes to me, 10 Trips needs 10 passes.

Thus, there is no beneifit on activating your ticket before she/he comes around.

Exactly. Even in the morning if I buy say three peak tickets from the Riverdale or the Spuyten Duyvil station to Grand Central and get a train that starts say at Greystone, the person checking sometimes won't get to you until Harlem-125th street, so I never activate until I'm certain my e-Ticket will be checked. If they didn't charge an arm and a leg maybe I wouldn't care as much, but three peak tickets gives me a nice lunch for close to $30.00 at one of my take-out spots near my office. It's definitely worthwhile to not activate them.

Does anyone use MTA eTix? How is it?

I haven't used it in a while. But it's quite solid for me. Given my recent smartphone troubles, my advice is six month's stale.

It helps to have a sign on, which syncs your tickets.

You are limited to six unique sign ons a year. Your account will be flagged after a seventh attempt, and you'll need to call in to have it lifted.

I haven't used it in a while. But it's quite solid for me. Given my recent smartphone troubles, my advice is six month's stale.

It helps to have a sign on, which syncs your tickets.

You are limited to six unique sign ons a year. Your account will be flagged after a seventh attempt, and you'll need to call in to have it lifted.

What exactly are you referring to and why would have so many different unique sign-ons anyway?  

What exactly are you referring to and why would have so many different unique sign-ons anyway?  

Not at the same time. I upgraded my device from Lolliop to Nougat during a clean install, and my primary device headed to the repair shop earlier this year which meant I had to sign on other devices as each was fixed.

The app is otherwise very helpful. The last time I used it, the conductor didn't have the QR scanner but the app has a pendulum UI design to avoid spoofing.

Not at the same time. I upgraded my device from Lolliop to Nougat during a clean install, and my primary device headed to the repair shop earlier this year which meant I had to sign on other devices as each was fixed.

The app is otherwise very helpful. The last time I used it, the conductor didn't have the QR scanner but the app has a pendulum UI design to avoid spoofing.

Most of the conductors don't have scanners. I've only had my ticket scanned once, and the guy was so annoying. I show him my screen, then he asks me to hold it up so he can scan the barcode of the ticket on my phone.  It's like dude, the ticket is activated, and as bright as my screen is and as big as it is, I know you can see that.  Do you need to go and do all of this crap just to scan it as if I'm trying to pass a bogus ticket? A-hole...  <_<  The whole idea of the app is to make the whole ticket process faster, not more drawn out.  That could be another reason that they don't bother scanning them.

Everyone will soon be scanning. Mind you, it's not the conductors that want to do it but the carrier that is requiring it. Those that choose not to are being written up.

Furthermore, from a users standpoint, it's in the terms and conditions of the app that electronic scanning may be required.

As annoying as it is, from both sides, it's here to stay.

Day to day, only the single ride and ten trip tickets are being scanned. This month, weekly and monthly e tickets are being scanned on "punch day".

Edited by Truckie