LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

Everyone will soon be scanning. Mind you, it's not the conductors that want to do it but the carrier that is requiring it. Those that choose not to are being written up.

Furthermore, from a users standpoint, it's in the terms and conditions of the app that electronic scanning may be required.

As annoying as it is, from both sides, it's here to stay.

Day to day, only the single ride and ten trip tickets are being scanned. This month, weekly and monthly e tickets are being scanned on "punch day".

They need better scanners then.  As big as my phone is he had trouble scanning the barcode on it, so just imagine someone with a small phone.  What happens if the barcode can't be scanned? Are you required to keep trying or what? Point is all of that nonsense holds up service, and means less revenue for the (MTA), so they'll either get better scanners, or more people will ride for free (I'm not complaining lol).

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They need better scanners then. As big as my phone is he had trouble scanning the barcode on it, so just imagine someone with a small phone. What happens if the barcode can't be scanned? Are you required to keep trying or what? Point is all of that nonsense holds up service, and means less revenue for the (MTA), so they'll either get better scanners, or more people will ride for free (I'm not complaining lol).

I'm not disagreeing with you. The only good thing about the scanning is catching those that try to cheat the system with fraudulent tickets on their phone (and plenty do). If scanning a ticket doesn't work, visual we're supposed to visually validate as in the past.

I'm not disagreeing with you. The only good thing about the scanning is catching those that try to cheat the system with fraudulent tickets on their phone (and plenty do). If scanning a ticket doesn't work, visual we're supposed to visually validate as in the past.

Wait, what??? How in the heck do they do that? Isn't there only one app available for Metro-North?

Wait, what??? How in the heck do they do that? Isn't there only one app available for Metro-North?

Yes, only one app. The problem is when they try to produce a ticket with out the app (screen shot, video clip, etc). The other issue is I've caught multiple people trying to use the same ticket. Once it is scanned, it's dead. The colors will still show, but it can not be scanned again. If I scan an e ticket, then some one else gets on the train and the phone gets passed to them, I will be able to tell it was already scanned the first time and on what train.

Another aspect of the scanning is accountability of staff. Management can see exactly when I'm (or anyone else) is collecting tickets as once it's scanned, it goes to the cloud. If I'm approached that I a spotter was on my train and claims no one was collecting fares, I'll say look at the record from the scans. It's on record when I scanned, on what train and the station combo of each ticket scanned.

Edited by Truckie

The whole idea of the app is to make the whole ticket process faster, not more drawn out.  That could be another reason that they don't bother scanning them.

That's why the app has the pendulum UI. because some conductors don't scan even though they should by this point.

I activate it as soon as the doors close and the train starts moving whether or not it's scanned.

That's why the app has the pendulum UI. because some conductors don't scan even though they should by this point.

I activate it as soon as the doors close and the train starts moving whether or not it's scanned.

I certainly won't be this honest... the prices they charge for these trains are ridiculous. I activate when asked or if I see conductor coming down Edited by Mtatransit

If you're not going to ride but once, I guess it doesn't matter, but if you're already spending money on top of those tickets I don't know. I used to not think about the cost of the tickets but now I do because the cost has gone up so quickly. I actually got some really nice expensive handmade ceramic pieces yesterday with the money I was going to use for Metro-North singles. Basically a display piece from France for $30 (roughly three peak Metro-North tickets from Riverdale) another piece from Portugal (roughly two Metro-North) tickets. I will just take an earlier express bus. They really should make the seating more comfortable. That's what tends to keep me away. For what they charge I can take the express bus and have a much more comfortable ride.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I certainly won't be this honest... the prices they charge for these trains are ridiculous. I activate when asked or if I see conductor coming down

Inflated, just like the egos of some top brass and the number of photo ops the Governor and Mayor have done.

If they were given money for posing with hobos they'd fix the system faster. I mean, he does pay to play right? 

They really should make the seating more comfortable. That's what tends to keep me away. For what they charge I can take the express bus and have a much more comfortable ride.

The vinyl irritates you too? I agree.

Another relic in transit from the 60s that just won't die.

The vinyl irritates you too? I agree.

Another relic in transit from the 60s that just won't die.

The arm rests are a pain and I don't want my expensive dress shirts ruined. The seats with the faux leather are just horrible. They get really dirty and and not comfortable to sit in. The newer trains on the New Haven have the nice seats. They've only done a handful of cars over on the Hudson Line with the newer material. Can't wait for the new cars to come in. We'll have places to charge our phones like a normal commuter rail in 2017.

sounds like a typical breakroom - dank, discomforting and things you don't want to rub against.

The arm rests are a pain and I don't want my expensive dress shirts ruined. The seats with the faux leather are just horrible. They get really dirty and and not comfortable to sit in. 

The arm rests are a pain and I don't want my expensive dress shirts ruined. The seats with the faux leather are just horrible. They get really dirty and and not comfortable to sit in. The newer trains on the New Haven have the nice seats. They've only done a handful of cars over on the Hudson Line with the newer material. Can't wait for the new cars to come in. We'll have places to charge our phones like a normal commuter rail in 2017.

Serious question, where is charging your phones a normal feature on trains? It certainly didn't exist when I was in Asia or Germany.

Serious question, where is charging your phones a normal feature on trains? It certainly didn't exist when I was in Asia or Germany.

Even more interesting is pondering the thought of what people did with out cell phones. When involved in public transportation, one never heard others talking loudly with the speaker phone option on. You wouldn't hear others playing games or watching videos with out ear phones. Let's not forget those that Skype, etc...

Oh yeah, back to reality. How hard is it for someone to keep a battery pack with them. I could buy one for the cost of three peak tickets when I scam the railroad by not activation my e-ticket before I get on the train regardless of what the terms and conditions say.

I digress. Back to the question, the trains with out the modern "convenience" of outlets were manufactured 10 to 15 years past when there was no such thing as a phone "smarter" than the user. If they were retrofitted with outlets every four feet, then people would cry about the cost. After all it's public transportation, you get what you get. Just like flying, I've flown for hours with out charging ports, wifi or any modern convenience. You get what you get.

Edited by Truckie

Even more interesting is pondering the thought of what people did with out cell phones. When involved in public transportation, one never heard others talking loudly with the speaker phone option on. You wouldn't hear others playing games or watching videos with out ear phones. Let's not forget those that Skype, etc...

Oh yeah, back to reality. How hard is it for someone to keep a battery pack with them. I could buy one for the cost of three peak tickets when I scam the railroad by not activation my e-ticket before I get on the train regardless of what the terms and conditions say.

Dude, nobody is carrying battery packs these days.  Get with the times.  Everyone walks around with a charger now.  All of the express buses have been retrofitted with them, so all I need is my USB plug (not even the actual AC charger).  You think passengers should pay almost $10.00 peak within City limits, and they can't even charge their phones? What a joke. If the (MTA) stopped overcharging for commuter rail service, maybe I'd have some sympathy, but a subway ride is $2.75.  If I take Metro-North from Riverdale without my express bus pass which can be used on the Hudson Raillink buses, I pay $2.75 plus $9.25 for the peak ticket; $12.00 one way, almost 6 times a subway ride, or $24.00 round trip versus $5.50, almost 5 times the round-trip cost using the subway.  You know that's highway robbery. Even the express bus is $13.00 round trip.  Still $11 cheaper.   

Hell when I lived in Italy, I could travel from Milan to Florence for around $30 USD and that's a THREE hour trip. 

Dude, nobody is carrying battery packs these days. Get with the times.

I guess the multiple people I see on a train day to day basis are "nobody" including myself. It's the responsible thing to do if they know they might be somewhere for an extended period period of time and they know they will need to charge there phone. In stead of wa, wa, waaing about it, they react accordingly.

I guess the multiple people I see on a train day to day basis are "nobody" including myself. It's the responsible thing to do if they know they might be somewhere for an extended period period of time and they know they will need to charge there phone. In stead of wa, wa, waaing about it, they react accordingly.

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard "i have the app, but my phone is dead..."

I do find it ironic how he's giving these rants about farebeaters and this and that, but he's getting over on the system too. 

Dude, nobody is carrying battery packs these days.  Get with the times.  Everyone walks around with a charger now.  All of the express buses have been retrofitted with them, so all I need is my USB plug (not even the actual AC charger).  You think passengers should pay almost $10.00 peak within City limits, and they can't even charge their phones? What a joke. If the (MTA) stopped overcharging for commuter rail service, maybe I'd have some sympathy, but a subway ride is $2.75.  If I take Metro-North from Riverdale without my express bus pass which can be used on the Hudson Raillink buses, I pay $2.75 plus $9.25 for the peak ticket; $12.00 one way, almost 6 times a subway ride, or $24.00 round trip versus $5.50, almost 5 times the round-trip cost using the subway.  You know that's highway robbery. Even the express bus is $13.00 round trip.  Still $11 cheaper.   

How is a one-way ticket almost 6 times the price, but a two-way ticket is almost 5 times the price when all you did was double the one-way fare for both instances? And actually, it's 4.36 times the price, which means you should round down to 4, not up to 5.

You're going to go to a tutoring client, leave after an hour and 22 minutes (which is basically 1.36 hours) and say that you worked almost 2 hours and bill them for it? I mean, maybe if they need some math tutoring and you somehow managed to swindle them.  <_<

Edited by checkmatechamp13

I love it when those people end up getting charged the full onboard fare :lol:

It's almost laughable some one comes up to me with a "dead" phone (sometimes another scam). Why is it MY problem YOUR phone is dead? Some I have charged the on board come back next time with a fully charged phone as they bought a Mophie (or similar battery pack). Oh, I forgot, NOBODY has those anymore.

1. I do find it ironic how he's giving these rants about farebeaters and this and that, but he's getting over on the system too. 

2. How is a one-way ticket almost 6 times the price, but a two-way ticket is almost 5 times the price when all you did was double the one-way fare for both instances? And actually, it's 4.36 times the price, which means you should round down to 4, not up to 5.

3. You're going to go to a tutoring client, leave after an hour and 22 minutes (which is basically 1.36 hours) and say that you worked almost 2 hours and bill them for it? I mean, maybe if they need some math tutoring and you somehow managed to swindle them.  <_<

1. It isn't my job to collect my ticket.  If my ticket isn't collected well that isn't my problem.  If the conductor doesn't come around that's what it is, but I have my ticket and can present when requested.  You are comparing apples to oranges.  That's like if I go to pay for the bus and machine is broken well that isn't my problem.  When people blatantly look to get over then that is a different story.  

2. Doing rough math I can go with 5 or 6 both ways.  Doesn't make a difference either way.  The point is there's a huge discrepancy in the subway fare versus the commuter fare.

3. I'm an independent consultant and I can charge what I want to charge.  Whatever arrangement I make with my client is agreed to beforehand, so if I decide to charge for a two hour minimum, then that's my fee and they either take it or leave it.  I have a minimum charge that I charge depending on the circumstances, along with travel fees depending on the location, what I am being paid for and so on.  It's a business. I'm not working for free, and on the same token when I give free time to clients, they benefit as well, so it's a wash.  You just worry about yourself.  I have yet to have anyone complain because I could be charging a lot more so they're thankful just the same.  Some people charge $200/hr for their time, and some charge $100/hr for their time.  That's the way it goes.

It's like going to buy a hamburger.  You can go to McDonald's and get a cheap meal or you can go to a more high-end place and pay more.  That's the great thing about having choices.

On the same token when I work with poorer families, I often times cut my rate.  I don't know about you but when you consult, you have to look at how much time you're spending commuting, how much money you're spending getting to and from AND any prep time, the subjects being covered and so on.  That all factors in to my price.  I usually cover just about all subjects, which means one private tutor for everything, which makes it a lot cheaper for the client.  I also have been a TA at college level so I have a good amount of experience doing this and I sure as hell am not going to be underpaid for my skills.

12/2.75 is very clearly not 6 no matter how rough your math is (and a Single Ride ticket is $3 so 12/3 comes out to 4 exactly). But point taken about the cost of the rides.

And I really don't care what you charge or what your minimum charge is because I wouldn't trust anybody who's that sloppy with their math anyway. Yes I know how these types of hustles work. You're going to have a different rate and minimum length for your next door neighbor vs. someone at the other end of the city but that's a different topic.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

12/2.75 is very clearly not 6 no matter how rough your math is (and a Single Ride ticket is $3 so 12/3 comes out to 4 exactly). But point taken about the cost of the rides.

And I really don't care what you charge or what your minimum charge is because I wouldn't trust anybody who's that sloppy with their math anyway. Yes I know how these types of hustles work. You're going to have a different rate and minimum length for your next door neighbor vs. someone at the other end of the city but that's a different topic.

You don't have to.  I get results and that's what my clients care about.  I'm not taking the time to engage in "precise math" on a forum.  Are you kidding me?  Get real.  I can't recall when I've used a single ride so that's not something I would've even thought about.  

It's almost laughable some one comes up to me with a "dead" phone (sometimes another scam). Why is it MY problem YOUR phone is dead? Some I have charged the on board come back next time with a fully charged phone as they bought a Mophie (or similar battery pack). Oh, I forgot, NOBODY has those anymore.

Unless you're using an older smartphone, most new phones now have quick charging capabilities (my phone can juice up almost entirely in about 30 minutes (maybe less) when plugged directly into the outlet with the AC adapter and with the phone powered off), so no, there isn't a need to carry one of those battery packs unless you absolutely have very limited access to charging options, and for most of these customers riding the trains, they can charge their phones in their office.  I keep an outlet open in my office just for charging my cell phone and juice it up towards the end of the day if it hasn't been charged earlier.

I don't put a ticket on my phone unless I know I have plenty of power left, and that's one reason I've been hesitant on putting a monthly ticket on there.  With that said, if Metro-North and the LIRR would get with the times and installed charging outlets like the (MTA) express buses now have, then this would be less of an excuse.  People are generally on their phones constantly now, so some are bound to drain their phones down.  However, that is their problem, but that doesn't mean that the railroads can't adapt to technology in the 21st century.  If they are going to keep most of the cars around, identify a vendor that can install outlets, retrofit the cars they are keeping and be done with it.  At the prices they're charging, it should be a given just like the bathrooms (though I wouldn't dare use one).  

I kinda wished the (MTA) would focus on improving things that don't go out of style in two years. I find the accommodation wasteful given the gravity of other issues not being invested in.

I disagree.  In some cases the (MTA) may be able to get the vendor to foot the costs.  Either way they are very useful being on the go, and I see plenty of people using the outlets, myself included.