LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

9 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Besides E-tix would you prefer a smartcard?

The SBS receipts are a waste too. I already have an unlimited card, now I have to dip it for a temporary paper receipt.

A smartcard would be fine.  Anything that cuts down on waste.  I often times sign up for e-mails so that when I shop at certain places, I just get my receipt e-mailed to me instead of the paper version, and I carry a re-usable bag with me to cut down on plastic and paper waste.  Sometimes I have to decline multiple times when I go into a store for bags or utensils.  We've got it ingrained in our DNA now that we need a paper receipt for everything and that it's courteous to offer all of this stuff that will be thrown away into the landfill creating unnecessary waste.  The (MTA) is starting to get with the program, albeit slowly.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/22/2017 at 10:16 PM, N6 Limited said:

Will this be because of east side access? Most Hempstead Branch Trains use Atlantic Terminal as the Western Terminal, will most go to Penn or Grand Central or just terminate in Jamaica?

Do will MTA do Joint LIRR Metro North tickets once East Side access opens?

The Hempstead Branch will most likely use Penn Station as the main terminal after East Side Access. I can't imagine the folks on Stewart Manor, Garden City, and Nassau Blvd ever settling for their train to terminate at Jamaica. Terminating the Hempstead Branch at Jamaica would only have it only be a LIRR version of the n6.

3 hours ago, NY1635 said:

The Hempstead Branch will most likely use Penn Station as the main terminal after East Side Access. I can't imagine the folks on Stewart Manor, Garden City, and Nassau Blvd ever settling for their train to terminate at Jamaica. Terminating the Hempstead Branch at Jamaica would only have it only be a LIRR version of the n6.

Most Hempstead Trains go to Atlantic Terminal anyway and most people transfer at Jamaica, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

1 hour ago, N6 Limited said:

Most Hempstead Trains go to Atlantic Terminal anyway and most people transfer at Jamaica, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Hempstead Trains going to Penn Station full time would eliminate the need to transfer at Jamaica for service to Manhattan. Which is good since the Babylon Branch is usually packed between Jamaica and Penn.

1 hour ago, NY1635 said:

Hempstead Trains going to Penn Station full time would eliminate the need to transfer at Jamaica for service to Manhattan. Which is good since the Babylon Branch is usually packed between Jamaica and Penn.

Come to think of it, they might make the Hempstead branch the super local and have all other trains bypass Forest Hills and Kew Gardens.

21 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Come to think of it, they might make the Hempstead branch the super local and have all other trains bypass Forest Hills and Kew Gardens.

Garden City would throw a fit. More likely they keep the hodgepodge they have now. 

FWIW here's a track map of the new Jamaica interlocking: (from here)

30mvp20.jpg

Has the MTA studied which branches and/or stations get the most city ticket usage since they started the program?

On 10/25/2017 at 5:57 PM, RR503 said:

Garden City would throw a fit. More likely they keep the hodgepodge they have now. 

FWIW here's a track map of the new Jamaica interlocking: (from here)

30mvp20.jpg

Interesting, so even if the Atlantic Branch becomes a shuttle, how frequent would they run service?

1 hour ago, N6 Limited said:

Has the MTA studied which branches and/or stations get the most city ticket usage since they started the program?

Interesting, so even if the Atlantic Branch becomes a shuttle, how frequent would they run service?

I think the Port Washington branch sees the highest intra-city usage.

And IIRC it would run 8 TPH, so 7-8 minute headways.

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I think the Port Washington branch sees the highest intra-city usage.

And IIRC it would run 8 TPH, so 7-8 minute headways.

Port Wash feels more like a subway line than a railway line. A lot of people use it for intermediate travel as well as going of the city. Essentially an ideal frequency for riders would be 6TPH 3 to Penn Sta and 3 to Grand Central when it opens.

4 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I haven't, whats that?

I think he is referring to wayback machine. It's a service that if you put a link in it goes back to archives of the link address for quite a few years. That would only work if the link was not changed for the different years.

Here's the link if you're interested: http://archive.org/web/

6 hours ago, RES2773 said:

I think he is referring to wayback machine. It's a service that if you put a link in it goes back to archives of the link address for quite a few years. That would only work if the link was not changed for the different years.

Here's the link if you're interested: http://archive.org/web/

Thanks, the oldest "capture" they have is from 2002, not much has changed besides fare amounts. Though , Jamaica used to be in Zone 1 apparently.

https://web.archive.org/web/20021002061431/http://mta.info:80/lirr/html/ttn/jamaican.htm 

Is anyone aware of the date in which the LEAD boards were put in on the platforms on LIRR? I know it must've been quite a long time ago, and I can't find any documents. Any commuters that maybe remember when from their travels?

Related, I was at Hicksville station, and I noticed that they put in new LEAD boards. Maybe they'll be rolled out to the rest of the stations.

Once East Side Access starts, there will no longer be ANY trains that go from Atlantic Terminal to anywhere on Long island (Hempstead, West Hempstead, Far Rock, etc)?  Every single Atlantic Terminal train will require a change at Jamaica?  Would eastbound trains be held at Jamaica for a minute or two if the Atlantic shuttle is slightly late?  What would the frequency and fare be ?  Would Metrocard be accepted?

53 minutes ago, RtrainBlues said:

Once East Side Access starts, there will no longer be ANY trains that go from Atlantic Terminal to anywhere on Long island (Hempstead, West Hempstead, Far Rock, etc)?  Every single Atlantic Terminal train will require a change at Jamaica?  Would eastbound trains be held at Jamaica for a minute or two if the Atlantic shuttle is slightly late?  What would the frequency and fare be ?  Would Metrocard be accepted?

I assumed that Hempstead, West Hempstead, Far Rockaway, and Long Beach branches will go to Penn Station while other branches are shifted over the Grand Central. Anything short of that would incur the wrath of Five Towns, Garden City, Stewart Manor, Floral Park, and a whole other slew of Nassau neighborhoods that rely on the LIRR. 

On 11/19/2017 at 11:01 PM, NY1635 said:

I assumed that Hempstead, West Hempstead, Far Rockaway, and Long Beach branches will go to Penn Station while other branches are shifted over the Grand Central. Anything short of that would incur the wrath of Five Towns, Garden City, Stewart Manor, Floral Park, and a whole other slew of Nassau neighborhoods that rely on the LIRR. 

The Babylon and Port Jefferson branches have the most riders, you sure that making them transfer won't be a problem?

17 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

The Babylon and Port Jefferson branches have the most riders, you sure that making them transfer won't be a problem?

Making them transfer to the Babylon and Port Jefferson branches for service to Penn would be a problem for the passengers, but not the MTA unless both branches get really crowded during the rush.

On 11/19/2017 at 10:04 PM, RtrainBlues said:

I’m sitting here with my 86 year old uncle and HE wants to correct your post, lol. Any train that leaves from Atlantic Terminal on the LIRR makes stops on Long Island. He and I know what you are trying to say though. For those who missed his point I’ll make it clear(er). Every station on the LIRR except Penn Station is located on Long Island. Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island. I had an elementary school teacher back in the fourth grade who taught us that fact and I’ve never forgotten it. He reminded me that my mom, his big sister, who passed away in July, would get on his case and mine if we didn’t correct that. We’re just having fun this morning so don’t take us too seriously. Carry on.