LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IAlam said:

DOES Anyone know if you can buy city tickets today and tmr?

Didn't you ask this before? The answer is NO. Treat City Ticket as something only available on Saturdays and Sundays. It has nothing to do with the schedule MNRR is running. You may be able to get off-peak tickets at times all day but not City Ticket unless it's announced.

On 11/19/2017 at 10:04 PM, RtrainBlues said:

Once East Side Access starts, there will no longer be ANY trains that go from Atlantic Terminal to anywhere on Long island (Hempstead, West Hempstead, Far Rock, etc)?  Every single Atlantic Terminal train will require a change at Jamaica?  Would eastbound trains be held at Jamaica for a minute or two if the Atlantic shuttle is slightly late?  What would the frequency and fare be ?  Would Metrocard be accepted?

Eastbound trains from Penn are already held at Jamaica for late arriving trains coming from Brooklyn (before I stopped taking the LIRR daily to work, that 5:12am Far Rockaway & that 5:51am W. Hempstead from Atlantic Term. would constantly arrive at Jamaica late; by at least 5 mins.).... Even if they weren't (held at Jamaica), it's going to take a lot longer than a minute or two for folks to get from that new track, to track 6/7/8 for whatever other eastbound train they need to connect to, from that new platform/track the Brooklyn trains would end up running from.... If I'm still working out in Nassau by then, it will be the kibosh for me ever taking the LIRR to work, because I am NOT schlepping (as VG8 would say), or using an escalator up & down anymore steps to xfer to a train that was previously "right across the platform"....

Coming from Nassau/Suffolk is going to be even worse; folks are going to have to make their way from tracks 1/2/3 to that new platform/track if they want to head out to Brooklyn - including the Islanders fans & their beloved Barclays center (sarcasm, as in a lot of those fans, I find, abhor coming to Brooklyn to see their team).... I'm just going to sit back & wait for the outrage that's going to ensue regarding that.... God help those folks if they're at the front of a westbound train needing to make that xfer to a Brooklyn train....

Perhaps someone else can opine/answer those last 2 questions, because to me, they're irrelevant.... I'm not in favor of shuttle service b/w Brooklyn & Jamaica at all..... From parts of eastern LI, there'll still be through-trains going to damn Hunterspoint, but you gotta tread over the water & through the woods to get to Brooklyn? Screw that....

On 11/23/2017 at 4:35 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Didn't you ask this before? The answer is NO. Treat City Ticket as something only available on Saturdays and Sundays. It has nothing to do with the schedule MNRR is running. You may be able to get off-peak tickets at times all day but not City Ticket unless it's announced.

Thanks but I don't remember asking before, most thanksgivings I don't even go to the city

13 minutes ago, IAlam said:

Thanks but I don't remember asking before, most thanksgivings I don't even go to the city

City Ticket was created to generate more ridership from NYC residents solely on weekends.  They get enough during the week that they don't care too much and the few holidays that they have light ridership, they tend to run modified schedules anyway so the best you'll get is maybe off-peak prices all day in some cases, but no City Ticket unless it's physically Saturday or Sunday.  I took a screen shot of the Metro-North app from my cell phone:

thumbnail?appId=YahooMailNeo&downloadWhe

thumbnail?appId=YahooMailNeo&downloadWhe

For some reason they didn't update the City Ticket fare in the first screen shot to $4.25, but the rules are spelled out.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

did NJT/MNRR pull the Sunday game train from New Haven to Secaucus for 1PM Giants/Jets games?

I was a looking at a potential Flex schedule change where the Cowboys-Giants game gets moved from 4:25 PM to 1 PM time slot on Dec. 10 warranting the need for the New Haven game train, but this page doesn't show

http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/meadowlands/footballtrain.php

Edited by mfs NJT459
added date

11 hours ago, mfs NJT459 said:

did NJT/MNRR pull the Sunday game train from New Haven to Secaucus for 1PM Giants/Jets games?

I was a looking at a potential Flex schedule change where the Cowboys-Giants game gets moved from 4:25 PM to 1 PM time slot on Dec. 10 warranting the need for the New Haven game train, but this page doesn't show

http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/meadowlands/footballtrain.php

I heard something about trains being quietly pulled but I don't know which ones and if this is specific to your needs.  Maybe Truckie knows something.

I'm kinda bummed the MTA isn't providing shuttle bus service for Atlantic Terminal - Jamaica no service GO the next two weekends.

Their cross honoring LIRR tickets on the Q24 bus this weekend which is interesting, MTA website suggested Atlantic Terminal riders take the (Q) to 34th street and Nostrand Ave riders take the A or C to 34th.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

Maybe a somewhat obscure question:

I've noticed that the M7As will play a certain little jingle (it sounds like a ringtone or something, maybe three seconds long?) ocassionally throughout a trip.

Does anyone know what this is? I assume it's a message to the train crew.

You mean as if to make an announcement? Otherwise I have no idea what you're referring to.

Would Belmont Park work as a full time LIRR station? I've been hearing this proposal a lot lately as part of a convoluted plan to get the Islanders out of Barclays, and build a stadium north of the Hempstead Turnipike where the station and the Q2/Q110 stands are.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You mean as if to make an announcement? Otherwise I have no idea what you're referring to.

No, it's not the "dink donk" that they play before announcements. I can't describe it, and it would be hard to record it since it comes on seemingly randomly.

I always hear it several times per trip on the Harlem line. If you keep your ears open you'll probably hear it.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

I hear this on the M8s occasionally and I think it is related to the PA announcements. Maybe it's a pre-chime to alert riders the conductor is about to make a manual announcement. Problem is, they've done it with and without the jingle.

That's what I was thinking of.  The other issue is some trains seem to have a messed up PA system.  Either the next stops don't show on the screen in each car as it normally does, or stops have to be announced manually.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I can't speak for the M7s, but I have noticed various announcement glitches on the M8s on occasion, usually related to where and when the arriving announcements play. For instance, I cannot tell you how many times I've heard "This station is. Mount Vernon East." on outbound trains when the train hasn't even gone past Botanical Gardens in the Bronx. Another glitch I've heard way too often is when the announcements will play in reverse. To give an example, on an outbound train to Stamford approaching 125 Street, the arriving announcement will play as normal, but when the doors open, the departing announcement will announce the train as bound for Grand Central with the next stop being Grand Central. It'll do the same thing at Fordham with 125 Street being next, Mt. Vernon East with Fordham next and so on until the conductor either resets the system or turns off the auto announcements.

49 minutes ago, Lance said:

I can't speak for the M7s, but I have noticed various announcement glitches on the M8s on occasion, usually related to where and when the arriving announcements play. For instance, I cannot tell you how many times I've heard "This station is. Mount Vernon East." on outbound trains when the train hasn't even gone past Botanical Gardens in the Bronx. Another glitch I've heard way too often is when the announcements will play in reverse. To give an example, on an outbound train to Stamford approaching 125 Street, the arriving announcement will play as normal, but when the doors open, the departing announcement will announce the train as bound for Grand Central with the next stop being Grand Central. It'll do the same thing at Fordham with 125 Street being next, Mt. Vernon East with Fordham next and so on until the conductor either resets the system or turns off the auto announcements.

It's been happening a lot on the M7 trains.  I used the Hudson Line on Saturday to Grand Central, as well as this morning.  On Saturday, I missed the semi-express train and got the next one.  It played the stop at Morris Heights twice.  I think a lot of these trains need to be overhauled.  If you are not a regular, good look figuring out which stop is which.

On 11/7/2017 at 2:39 AM, N6 Limited said:

Where can I find old LIRR zone maps?  Does anyone remember which stations were in Zone 2, 5, 6, 8, 11 and 13?

@N6 Limitedhttp://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=944384&p=1#945187

http://www.railroad.net/forums//viewtopic.php?f=63&t=60389

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/07/12/nyregion/lirr-fare-rise-seen-as-subway-subsidy.html

Zone 1A: Penn Station, Woodside, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Elmhurst, Shea Stadium.

Zone 1B: Woodhaven, East NY, Nostrand Ave., Flatbush Ave., Richmond Hill, Glendale, Fresh Pond, Haberman, Penny Bridge, Hunterspoint Ave., Long Island City.

Zone 2: Flushing, Murray Hill, Broadway, Auburndale, Jamaica, Union Hall St.

Zone 3: Bayside, Douglaston, Little Neck, Hollis, Queens Village, Locust Manor, Laurelton, Rosedale, St. Albans, Springfield Gardens.

Zone 4: Great Neck, Manhasset, Plandome, Port Washington, Bellerose, Floral Park, Stewart Manor, Nassau Blvd., Garden City, Country Life Press, Hempstead, Valley Stream, Gibson, Hewlett, Woodmere, Cedarhurst, Lawrence, Inwood, Far Rockaway, Lynbrook, Westwood, Malverne, Lakeview, Hempstead Gardens, West Hempstead, New Hyde Park, Merillon Ave, Mineola, East Williston. 

Zone 5: Center Ave., East Rockaway, Oceanside, Albertson, Roslyn, Rockville Centre, Baldwin, Freeport, Carle Place, Westbury. 

Zone 6: Island Park, Long Beach, Greenvale, Glen Head, Sea Cliff, Merrick, Bellmore, Wantagh, Hicksville. 

Zone 7: Glen Street, Glen Cove, Locust Valley, Mill Neck, Oyster Bay, Seaford, Massapequa, Massapequa Park, Syosset, Grumman, Bethpage, Farmingdale.

Zone 8: Amityville, Copiague, Lindenhurst, Cold Spring Harbor, Huntington, Republic, Pinelawn, Wyandanch.

Zone 9: Babylon, Greenlawn, Northport, Deer Park, Pine-Aire.

Zone 10: Bay Shore, Islip, Great River, Oakdale, Sayville, Kings Park, Smithtown, Brentwood, Central Islip, Ronkonkoma. 

Zone 11: Bayport, Blue Point, Patchogue, St. James, Stony Brook, Setauket, Port Jefferson, Holtsville, Medford.

Zone 12: Bellport, Mastic-Shirley, Center Moriches, East Moriches, Speonk, Yaphank, Calverton.

Zone 13: Westhampton, Quogue, East Quogue, Hampton Bays, Riverhead, Jamesport, Mattituck, Cutchogue.

Zone 14: Southampton-LIU, Southampton, Bridgehampton, East Hampton, Amagansett, Southold, Greenport.

Zone 15: Montauk. 

On 12/10/2017 at 7:49 PM, MNR Beacon Line said:

No, it's not the "dink donk" that they play before announcements. I can't describe it, and it would be hard to record it since it comes on seemingly randomly.

I always hear it several times per trip on the Harlem line. If you keep your ears open you'll probably hear it.

On 12/11/2017 at 11:55 AM, Lance said:

I hear this on the M8s occasionally and I think it is related to the PA announcements. Maybe it's a pre-chime to alert riders the conductor is about to make a manual announcement. Problem is, they've done it with and without the jingle.

It plays whenever the conductor turns on the PA system. Sometimes happens when the system acts up. 

On 12/12/2017 at 7:48 PM, SevenEleven said:

It plays whenever the conductor turns on the PA system. Sometimes happens when the system acts up. 

Doesn't play at all when the PA is started, that is the "ding ding" sound.  What is being described is a chime sound.  On occasion it will go off when the PA acts up, but under normal circumstances.....

It is not used for any single event.  Engineers could sound it to alert the train crew that they are going to be crossing over at an interlocking, there is an ADA passenger at a station or for the conductor to go to the intercom.

Edited by Truckie

On 12/11/2017 at 3:11 PM, Lance said:

There's been times where I've heard the "watch the gap" announcement play twice in a row on an M8.

What's also interesting is you'll hear the "ding-dong" sound play at differing times on an M7 vs. an M8. On an M8 you'll hear it before the automated announcements (but not before the manual announcements, which imo is good in an urgent situation), and the M7 would have the opposite occur - you'll hear the "ding-dong" sound before a manual announcement only, as they've disabled the sound from playing before the automated announcements.

Speaking of announcements, I've taken to complaining to the MTA when the announcements are off. This seems especially prevalent in evening trains, which leads me to believe that the announcements being off is a choice by the conductor rather than some kind of technical difficulty.

Last night the automated announcements were off on my GCT to Southeast M7, and when I got out at Golden's Bridge a guy asked me if how to get back down to Katonah since he missed his stop. Not to mention that it's a huge ADA violation. I see blind people on MNR trains fairly frequently actually.

8 minutes ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

Speaking of announcements, I've taken to complaining to the MTA when the announcements are off. This seems especially prevalent in evening trains, which leads me to believe that the announcements being off is a choice by the conductor rather than some kind of technical difficulty.

Last night the automated announcements were off on my GCT to Southeast M7, and when I got out at Golden's Bridge a guy asked me if how to get back down to Katonah since he missed his stop. Not to mention that it's a huge ADA violation. I see blind people on MNR trains fairly frequently actually.

I think the newer trains are just flat out crap and need to b rehabbed. I've been on more and more trains on the Hudson Line that simply appeared to not be able to play and/or display the announcements.

I was talking to a friend in China about East Side Access. 1968 was when it was proposed. An illustration of the 63 Street tunnel showed up on the New York Times in 1971 mentioning the project. And according to Wikipedia, this is scheduled to complete in 2023. It takes all of 55 years to bring a project from conception to fruition (if the projected completion date is to be trusted). My friend laughed and asked what was wrong with our political system; it takes 1 year in China to build a full subway line.

Edited by CenSin

9 hours ago, CenSin said:

I was talking to a friend in China about East Side Access. 1968 was when it was proposed. An illustration of the 63 Street tunnel showed up on the New York Times in 1971 mentioning the project. And according to Wikipedia, this is scheduled to complete in 2023. It takes all of 55 years to bring a project from conception to fruition (if the projected completion date is to be trusted). My friend laughed and asked what was wrong with our political system; it takes 1 year in China to build a full subway line.

Americans are idiots.....