LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

So I've heard a lot of variations on the answer to this question depending where a person grew up or currently lives.

How do you, personally, pronounce 'LIRR'?

I usually just say "Long Island Rail Road."

"L I Double R" sounds to newscastery and is the same number of syllables anyway.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I'm just interested. Apparently it was very offensive to my Long Island friends that I (like everyone else I knew growing up in the city) pronounced as one syllable (i.e., "lerr")

Oh yeah, all the Brooklyn kids I knew used to do that. "Lerr" is totally a city thing.

I read it as "lerr" in my head but it's weird to say that out loud.

On 9/7/2018 at 7:08 PM, bobtehpanda said:

So I've heard a lot of variations on the answer to this question depending where a person grew up or currently lives.

How do you, personally, pronounce 'LIRR'?

I don't say it like it's a word, I sound out each letter.... "L-I-R-R"

FWIW, my sister says that "lerr" bit (she gets it from her friend that lives out in Hicksville) & my uncle says "L-I-double R" (when he's not calling it the "Iron Horse")...

• 4 weeks later...

LIRR riders can be more snooty then express bus riders. I am staying with my brother who lives in Wantagh this week and took morning express LIRR train from Wantagh. I take my seat and another passenger told me to move to another seat in another part of the train car as there is a regular customer who always sit every day in the seat I was sitting in. That rider then tells me that all the riders in the part of the car I was in usually have the same seat every day and other LIRR riders in the area I was sitting then interject and tell me that they themselves would move and if I don't move I will have a big problem. I get up and move to another part of the train car that is close to them and hear those regular LIRR riders make nasty comments and hear them laughing about me.  I told my brother what happened and he told me that if he needs to go into the city, he drives to CitiField for the 7 train on days that he needs to go to Manhattan and the LIRR is too expensive and not worth the headache. 

LIRR riders simultaneously manage to be snooty and trashy. It's astounding that some lady can mutter under her breath about the city while plugging in a Keurig into the outlets (and yes, I have personally witnessed this, which is possibly the most Long Island thing I can imagine)

8 hours ago, Q101viaSteinway said:

LIRR riders can be more snooty then express bus riders. I am staying with my brother who lives in Wantagh this week and took morning express LIRR train from Wantagh. I take my seat and another passenger told me to move to another seat in another part of the train car as there is a regular customer who always sit every day in the seat I was sitting in. That rider then tells me that all the riders in the part of the car I was in usually have the same seat every day and other LIRR riders in the area I was sitting then interject and tell me that they themselves would move and if I don't move I will have a big problem. I get up and move to another part of the train car that is close to them and hear those regular LIRR riders make nasty comments and hear them laughing about me.  I told my brother what happened and he told me that if he needs to go into the city, he drives to CitiField for the 7 train on days that he needs to go to Manhattan and the LIRR is too expensive and not worth the headache. 

Typical entitled South Shore behavior. If you don't move "there will be a big problem"? My ass. All these suburbanites know how to do is bitch.

Mount Vernon East on Metro North has Bridgeport station signs. When the train stopped there it caused quite a bit of confusion with the passengers as they thought they got on the wrong train (also the automated announce system wasn't on) then someone got on and said the signs were changed for a movie shoot.

When I first saw it I thought some idiot in the Metro North sign department simply put up signs at the wrong station😃

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:05 AM, Q101viaSteinway said:

20 hours ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

Typical entitled South Shore behavior. If you don't move "there will be a big problem"? My ass. All these suburbanites know how to do is bitch.

I've gotten that *this is my seat* BS before...
(albeit on the Main Line - where, compared to thebaby-alphabet-blocks-clipart-25.jpgLON branch, the level of snootiness is light-weight)

I would have stayed there & waited for that "problem".... I don't take threats from anyone lightly & nobody's law enforcement is gonna make me cower either....

Born & raised suburbanites in general are some of the most chicken-shitted sons of b****** out there as there are....

Edited by B35 via Church

2 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I've gotten that *this is my seat* BS before (albeit on the Main Line - where, compared to the baby-alphabet-blocks-clipart-25.jpgLON branch, the level of snootiness is light-weight,)....

I would have stayed there & waited for that "problem".... I don't take threats from anyone lightly & nobody's law enforcement is gonna make me cower either....

Born & raised suburbanites in general are some of the most chicken-shitted sons of b****** out there as there are....

lol... I have never had that issue on Metro-North.  The seats that I like usually no one else wants anyway, which are the fold up seats.  I will admit that I don't like people sitting next to me, and I will not move if there are other seats open.  The leg room on these trains is bad enough, and I don't need to be all squeezed up for no reason.  If there are other open seats, go sit in them. It's like the people that get on an empty bus and then come to then recline right on your legs.

8 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

lol... I have never had that issue on Metro-North.  The seats that I like usually no one else wants anyway, which are the fold up seats.  I will admit that I don't like people sitting next to me, and I will not move if there are other seats open.  The leg room on these trains is bad enough, and I don't need to be all squeezed up for no reason.  If there are other open seats, go sit in them. It's like the people that get on an empty bus and then come to then recline right on your legs.

He succumbed to that sanctimonious bulls***.... I would have sat right there & waited for the repercussion that I had coming to me... Lol.

Last time I checked, a seat on an LIRR train isn't reserved for any passenger.... Too cowardly to tell him (Q101) bluntly to his face that they didn't want him sitting near them... Instead, opted to concoct a big bad wolf narrative to reserve a seat for a fellow acquaintance.... I see that for what it is; the only thing those types huff, puff, and blow - is hot ass air!

I'm under the assumption that Q101 Steinway occupied a previously empty seat/row of seating.... More to what you're saying however, I don't care much for sitting next to anybody either; many of times I stood right by the door from Mineola to Jamaica during the PM rush (if I can't get that seat over there by the c/r's area)... The BO emanating from a lot of people is enough to not want to sit next to 'em anyway - and got nerve to douse themselves in perfume/cologne to cover the shit up..... Smelling like Eau de Wutdefuque all times of the gotdamn day....

For all that, you can have that row of seating.

16 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

He succumbed to that sanctimonious bulls***.... I would have sat right there & waited for the repercussion that I had coming to me... Lol.

Last time I checked, a seat on an LIRR train isn't reserved for any passenger.... Too cowardly to tell him (Q101) bluntly to his face that they didn't want him sitting near them... Instead, opted to concoct a big bad wolf narrative to reserve a seat for a fellow acquaintance.... I see that for what it is; the only thing those types huff, puff, and blow - is hot ass air!

I'm under the assumption that Q101 Steinway occupied a previously empty seat/row of seating.... More to what you're saying however, I don't care much for sitting next to anybody either; many of times I stood right by the door from Mineola to Jamaica during the PM rush (if I can't get that seat over there by the c/r's area)... The BO emanating from a lot of people is enough to not want to sit next to 'em anyway - and got nerve to douse themselves in perfume/cologne to cover the shit up..... Smelling like Eau de Wutdefuque all times of the gotdamn day....

For all that, you can have that row of seating.

lol... When I first moved to Riverdale, the broker warned me that the express buses were nothing but drama, and back then I thought to myself, this guy is full of it, given how long I had been riding on Staten Island with few issues.  He said his aunt had given up on them because of the "seat drama".  Back then the "assigned seats" nonsense was rampant, and one night, two ladies on the BxM18 almost got into it over seats.  One was pissed that the other sat in "her seat".  In the mornings, we used to have "assigned seats" on the BxM1 for quite a while, and I would sit behind this lady who knew the routine, which was to pull up the seat she wasn't sitting in so that I can sit comfortably. 

As people moved away that became less of an issue as fewer regulars rode, or the regulars weren't so picky about having the same exact seat every day.  There are still a few buses where this happens though and it's hilarious. The worst bus by far is the 23:00 BxM2 to Riverdale.  There are these old-timers that love sitting in the back.  They know I'm a regular, so one night I get on a few years ago, and one guy goes "well you can sit wherever you want", meaning that I was a regular, so I get to choose, which I thought was cute, as if I needed his permission. I didn't even say anything because we had our little wordless exchange because of the seat situation prior to that. He likes sitting in the very last row and I like the double seats before that, so I took my usual spot and he was not pleased about it, but he knew I didn't give a rat's @ss, so I let him have his little temper tantrum.  The next time I did give him his space though and I've done that ever since. In exchange, the other regulars do not sit in front of me on that bus, nor behind me because they know the deal, and if they do, they definitely do not sit in the seat right in front of  me, nor do they recline.  Basically an unspoken rule, so it's about respect.  

This one guy though that takes that bus, anyone else that sits back there he throws a fit. He's like who in the eff is sitting in my seat!?!? LMAO 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 10/3/2018 at 8:05 AM, Q101viaSteinway said:

God, I hate entitled a**holes. America is full of entitled a**holes.

2 hours ago, Bracamonte said:

When are the best times to catch the M3's on the LIRR? Is there like a specific schedule for when they run? Also, on the New Haven Line, when are the best times to catch the remaining M2 reserved fleet?

Rush hour is the best time to find both. Even though LIRR has far more M3s than Metro North has M2s the M2s are easier to find due to the fact that NH departures are listed well in advance so you can keep checking the platforms until you see one. Penn station is much more hectic and the track a train will depart from is posted only minutes from departure.

You can also try Atlantic Terminal during rush hour, it's much more chill than NYP but has far less departures so it's  gamble.

On 10/7/2018 at 8:38 PM, Bracamonte said:

When are the best times to catch the M3's on the LIRR? Is there like a specific schedule for when they run? Also, on the New Haven Line, when are the best times to catch the remaining M2 reserved fleet?

I regularly get them on the Port Washington Branch. I have gotten them on the 3:10 and 3:36 from Flushing toward Pt Wash and on the 4:49 and 5:12 from Little Neck toward Penn. There are several of them.

Instead of starting a new thread, I was hoping someone here could explain the "Brake Test" procedures trains endure before their schedule departure.

Some specific questions:

1. How many people are needed to conduct a brake test? From what I've heard over the PA, I've assumed there needs to be second person to proceed with a test

2. What outcomes are desired for a successful test and conversely, what would constitue a failed test?

3. I know Metro-North does this test before each departure from GCT. Does this happen at outlying originating stations as well? Does LIRR also conduct these tests, and if so, are there any differences?

1 hour ago, 40MntVrn said:

Instead of starting a new thread, I was hoping someone here could explain the "Brake Test" procedures trains endure before their schedule departure.

Some specific questions:

1. How many people are needed to conduct a brake test? From what I've heard over the PA, I've assumed there needs to be second person to proceed with a test

2. What outcomes are desired for a successful test and conversely, what would constitue a failed test?

3. I know Metro-North does this test before each departure from GCT. Does this happen at outlying originating stations as well? Does LIRR also conduct these tests, and if so, are there any differences?

To answer your third question, LIRR does conduct these tests and both railroads do it at outlyling stations.. well in MN case its done in the yard since all MU trains layover in the yard between runs rather than sit in the station.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, 40MntVrn said:

Metro North's trains have a class 1 brake test performed by mechanical forces, usually over night in the yards.  This is a fairly extensive brake test.  There is also a Class 2 brake test performed prior to every departure or turnaround.  When in GCT it is usually done by the engineer and a carman.  When in the outer yards or on the main, it is done by the engineer and conductor.  The later test, in short, verifies the trains brakes are applying and releasing at the rear of the train.

On 10/28/2018 at 7:17 PM, N6 Limited said:

When will they be finished with the new Nostrand Ave platforms?? It's like they never work two consecutive days. Walking to/from New York Ave makes connections to the B44SBS or (A)(C) more difficult than it has to be.

Oh I found the answer (March 2019) http://www.amodernli.com/project/nostrand-ave-station-rehabilitation/

Anyone know if the Metro-North getaway package to the Palisades is still being sold? And if it is, does it still includes the bus portion now that TZX was replaced by that new fangled "Hudson Link" service?

The bus is supposedly frequent enough (30 minute headways all day) now so I'm thinking of doing a trip up there by bus, so even if they don't have the getaway package it's not a deal breaker.

Edited by paulrivera

8 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Anyone know if the Metro-North getaway package to the Palisades is still being sold? And if it is, does it still includes the bus portion now that TZX was replaced by that new fangled "Hudson Link" service?

The bus is supposedly frequent enough (30 minute headways all day) now so I'm thinking of doing a trip up there by bus, so even if they don't have the getaway package it's not a deal breaker.

I believe so, but sure about the Palisades. They have fall getaways too. Something I was considering in fact.