LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

If anyone is familiar with the SEPTA Regional Rail system, one knows that it goes into semi-hibernation on Christmas, especially on the non-trunk lines (basically except to Glenside, Trenton, and PHL Airport) with service every 2-3 hours. Why is that not considered for the LIRR, where service on each is as follows?

South Shore service:

* Babylon trunk: Hourly (all stops Lynbrook-Babylon plus St. Albans, no express service)

* Extension to Speonk local: Every 2 hours, all stops from Babylon to Speonk (timed to meet the electric Babylon-Penn Station locals)

* Extension to Hamptons: Existing holiday schedule maintained

* Long Beach: every 2 hours

* West Hempstead: not running

* Far Rockaway: every 3 hours

Main Line service:

* Port Jefferson: every 2 hours (dual-mode service between Port Jefferson and Penn Station, no change in trains)

* Ronkonkoma: every 2 hours (existing Greenport scoots on existing schedule)

Hourly service between Hicksville and Jamaica...all trains stop at Hillside Facility, New Hyde Park, Merillon Ave., Mineola, Carle Place, and Westbury.

* Hempstead: every 3 hours

* Oyster Bay: every 3 hours to/from Mineola only

Port Washington service: Hourly service

City Terminal zone

* Main Line: Hourly service with Long Beach and Ronkonkoma trains

* Atlantic Avenue: Every 90 minutes with Far Rockaway and Hempstead trains

Is there an argument against this? Hope everyone is enjoying their Christmas!

Edited by aemoreira81

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

If anyone is familiar with the SEPTA Regional Rail system, one knows that it goes into semi-hibernation on Christmas, especially on the non-trunk lines (basically except to Glenside, Trenton, and PHL Airport) with service every 2-3 hours. Why is that not considered for the LIRR, where service on each is as follows?

South Shore service:

* Babylon trunk: Hourly (all stops Lynbrook-Babylon plus St. Albans, no express service)

* Extension to Speonk local: Every 2 hours, all stops from Babylon to Speonk (timed to meet the electric Babylon-Penn Station locals)

Main Line service:

* Port Jefferson: every 2 hours (dual-mode service between Port Jefferson and Penn Station, no change in trains)

Hourly service between Hicksville and Jamaica...all trains stop at Hillside Facility, New Hyde Park, Merillon Ave., Mineola, Carle Place, and Westbury.

City Terminal zone

Septa is a turd of a transit agency, none of the MTA entities should copy Septa in any shape or form. Most stations don't even have TVM in 2018 and a good portion of their stations on the trenton line is literary a slab of concrete and a shack.

5 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

South Shore service:

Main Line service:

City Terminal zone

What I’m not seeing is an argument for this. Most LIRR lines get service hourly or better on weekends/holidays; you’d be reducing that substantially with your plan. It isn’t like the world stops on Xmas—people are still working, people need to get to family, people need to shop, etc. We should be advocating for more SEPTA service, not less LIRR service. 

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

What I’m not seeing is an argument for this. Most LIRR lines get service hourly or better on weekends/holidays; you’d be reducing that substantially with your plan. It isn’t like the world stops on Xmas—people are still working, people need to get to family, people need to shop, etc. We should be advocating for more SEPTA service, not less LIRR service. 

I hate to say it but some people who shall remain nameless are idiots. The irony that we’re in a transportation forum and we have a certain someone always advocating for cutting people’s service.

13 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I hate to say it but some people who shall remain nameless are idiots. The irony that we’re in a transportation forum and we have a certain someone always advocating for cutting people’s service.

It would be just for Christmas, when ridership is significantly down compared to other holidays. Bee Line is closed on Christmas.

18 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

It would be just for Christmas, when ridership is significantly down compared to other holidays. Bee Line is closed on Christmas.

Then they can create a holiday schedule. They already do that to a degree anyway (run extra trains for people leaving their office early and then curtail service later on), but it would be great to have an official schedule posted.

26 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

Plenty of people are riding on Christmas... Last year I was on 8th Avenue that day and there were plenty of SRO trains. 

Beyond the fact that people need to function on Xmas, you also have to keep in mind that a very large portion of the NYC area population simply doesn’t observe Xmas as a holiday. Do we mess up what is just another day for them? 

Edited by RR503

2 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Plenty of people are riding on Christmas... Last year I was on 8th Avenue that day and there were plenty of SRO trains. 

Beyond the fact that people need to function on Xmas, you also have to keep in mind that a very large portion of the NYC area population simply doesn’t observe Xmas as a holiday. Do we mess up what is just another day for them? 

There are also more people that go out to eat on holidays, etc. because more stores are open. The last few years I've been going to Whole Foods and cooking at home, but previously I have gone out to the City to eat and relax.  It used to be a ghost town, but with more people having to work because of how expensive rents are becoming, combined with tourism, there's people out and about regularly now.

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There are also more people that go out to eat on holidays, etc. because more stores are open. The last few years I've been going to Whole Foods and cooking at home, but previously I have gone out to the City to eat and relax.  It used to be a ghost town, but with more people having to work because of how expensive rents are becoming, combined with tourism, there's people out and about regularly now.

Within the city is different from within the suburbs. Metro-North already goes into semi-hibernation on Christmas, with hourly local and hourly express trains.

5 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

Within the city is different from within the suburbs. Metro-North already goes into semi-hibernation on Christmas, with hourly local and hourly express trains.

I live in Riverdale and we are served by some of the semi-express trains from Westchester, and those trains get good loads, a lot more than you would expect. In fact even on Sunday nights, the crowds coming back from Westchester or other suburbs into Grand Central are astonishing.  Millennials like myself use those trains more than the older generation, and that is who Metro-North and the LIRR is targeting as the next generation of riders by running those trains.  I have been very pleased with the additional off-peak service and on nice days I walk from my apartment down to the station or even walk from the station home.  

It's us that's driving less and using public transit more because it's easier. Parking can be a pain where I live so I like the freedom of just walking to Metro-North or the express bus for commuting into the City.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Pretty upsetting that taking the LIRR from Inwood to Penn Station/ Atlantic Terminal is the same amount of time it takes taking the LIRR from Babylon to Penn Station/ Atlantic Terminal all because the LIRR goes out of the way to Valley Stream. The (A) train from Far Rockaway takes more time to get to Penn Station (an hour and 15 minutes) all because it makes too many stops despite Fulton St/ 8 Av Express. Taking the train from Far Rockaway to Manhattan should take a half an hour.

10 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Am I missing something...it seems like the MTA website has a departures board for LIRR (which is great for when I use the Atlantic ticket), but no online departure board for Metro North?

The closest they got for Metro-North is the one for Grand Central, which is buried in their site. I haven't seen any effort to expand that to the other stations.

Edited by Lance

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:26 PM, aemoreira81 said:

** a list of a bunch of cuts that would STILL incite riots **

You say this like such a suggestion is undeniably irrefutable... LMFAO !

Sure there's an argument against this, and I'll keep it very brief too.

People don't stop going places because it's the holidays.

Also, I know this is rather taboo to blurt out, but everyone does not celebrate every "major" holiday..... And I use the term celebrate very loosely.

Edited by B35 via Church

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:24 AM, aemoreira81 said:

We get that it's just for X-mas..... You are either failing to consider the severity of what you're bringing up, or flat out DGAF....

It's one thing if you think service is excessive, it's another to start wantonly suggesting that service be cut like that....

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:57 AM, aemoreira81 said:

While true, you just shot yourself in the foot here.... Admitting this doesn't help your case at all.

On 12/26/2018 at 10:57 AM, aemoreira81 said:

I don't know how it was this year, but I rode Metro-North a few years ago and the trains were SRO on the New Haven line on Christmas.

On 12/24/2018 at 8:49 PM, bobtehpanda said:

The main problem is not the cars but the reliability. The entire diesel LIRR fleet is junkers, that's why they're doing a joint procurement with Metro-North for new ones even though the fleet is barely 20.

There is not a joint procurement. LIRR was the lead agency for the M9's with an option for MNR.  MNR choce not to exercise the option.  The train cars these would have replaced are going on 35 years of age.