LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

It really sucks that the Bronx gets skipped (and forgotten about) when even the slightest thing goes wrong. I guess Bronx riders are less likely to complain than the people of Greenwich, but jeez. Still, I wonder if that new-ish interlocking between Fordham and Botanical Garden will help deal with these problems? I remember reading once some years ago that finishing those switches would be the key to more flexibility and more expresses stopping at Fordham. I really doubt the latter, but I guess I can hope?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/18/2019 at 1:13 AM, N6 Limited said:

When East side access begins, will the Atlantic shuttles be 4 car trains?

Basing this off of no concrete knowledge, but I wouldn't think so. With the transformation into a shuttle, far fewer cars will be devoted to that line, so especially with the surplus of stock that will come with the m9 deliveries, I think it's likely that trains will be 6 cars, as I'm sure the MTA will be happy to get as much use out of their renovated Nostrand Avenue station as possible. I'm not sure if this project includes an elongation of the platforms as well, but if so, eight cars would be welcome as well.

If anyone wants to ride an Metro North M3, tomorrow would be a good chance to find one as the Harlem line is gonna be running a whole lot of extra trains on  modified Saturday schedule on MLK day (21 extra trains on the Harlem line to be exact). However it's gonna feel like the North pole outside so try to ride to an outdoor station that has indoor waiting area like White Plains. 

Southeast has no heated indoor waiting, I learned that the hard way when I rode up there during winter a few years ago. The staircase from the platform to the parking lot doesn't have heaters.

Edited by trainfan22

20 hours ago, RES2773 said:

Basing this off of no concrete knowledge, but I wouldn't think so. With the transformation into a shuttle, far fewer cars will be devoted to that line, so especially with the surplus of stock that will come with the m9 deliveries, I think it's likely that trains will be 6 cars, as I'm sure the MTA will be happy to get as much use out of their renovated Nostrand Avenue station as possible. I'm not sure if this project includes an elongation of the platforms as well, but if so, eight cars would be welcome as well.

3 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

6 cars

Thanks, I was wondering because a lot of the times the last cars don't platform if it's not track one or 2 at Atlantic Terminal

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Why are LIRR C/R's never aware that their railroad is cross honoring🤔

I had that problem yesterday. The C/R was literally sat next to me took my phone and just stared at for like a good min. He decide it wasn’t worth the hassle and just left. 

Finally made the switch over to the MTA E TIX app (And NJT version of the app) I somehow got my debit card info stolen and I think it happened at either an LIRR or NJT TVM since I had problems using my card at an NJT machine and then an LIRR machine later that day.

Gonna try out the apps sometime next week, hope all goes well.

16 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Finally made the switch over to the MTA E TIX app (And NJT version of the app) I somehow got my debit card info stolen and I think it happened at either an LIRR or NJT TVM since I had problems using my card at an NJT machine and then an LIRR machine later that day.

Gonna try out the apps sometime next week, hope all goes well.

"Somehow" huh... I'd be on the lookout for skimmers on those ticket machines. They were quite prevalent not too long ago for obvious reasons. Outside of rush hour, some stations don't see much traffic, so someone can easily come into the station area where the ticket machines are, take their time installing a skimmer device and just sit back and wait as people go to the machine and attempt to complete transactions.  It has sort of died down now, but still not that uncommon.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 1/27/2019 at 9:02 PM, IAlam said:

I had that problem yesterday. The C/R was literally sat next to me took my phone and just stared at for like a good min. He decide it wasn’t worth the hassle and just left. 

Maybe @Truckie can shed some light on this.  I use Metro-North here and there and always use my cell phone now. I've considered installing the app on my iPad since I have a ton of space but haven't for now.  That said, some conductors are cool about it. You show them the activated ticket, they say thank you or nod and keep it moving, and others make a whole big deal about it.  I haven't heard or any scams or problems with counterfeit e-tickets, so what gives? If the ticket is already activated, I don't understand the big to do.  If they have to use that scanner, fine, pull it out, do aim at the bar code and keep it moving. I've had conductors stand there on a packed rush hour train trying to use that stupid scanner to scan my e-ticket. I mean really... <_< If they went after the people that hide in the bathroom to avoid paying like that I'd be more understanding.  Always hounding the people that actually pay...

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Maybe @Truckie can shed some light on this.  I use Metro-North here and there and always use my cell phone now. I've considered installing the app on my iPad since I have a ton of space but haven't for now.  That said, some conductors are cool about it. You show them the activated ticket, they say thank you or nod and keep it moving, and others make a whole big deal about it.  I haven't heard or any scams or problems with counterfeit e-tickets, so what gives? If the ticket is already activated, I don't understand the big to do.  If they have to use that scanner, fine, pull it out, do aim at the bar code and keep it moving. I've had conductors stand there on a packed rush hour train trying to use that stupid scanner to scan my e-ticket. I mean really... <_< If they went after the people that hide in the bathroom to avoid paying like that I'd be more understanding.  Always hounding the people that actually pay...

Can't say what happened in the specific circumstance as I wasn't there.   I will say, there are certain "features" that show up on the screen that prompts us to scan the QR code.  Since the powers to be can tell real time whether or not it's being done, it becomes an issue at times.  Especially when there are spotters on the train to "audit" us.  There are times a ticket gets scanned and our device will prompt whether it's valid, not valid or there's a discrepancy that could prompt further verification.

As far as scams and counterfeit tickets?  They are plentiful.  Anything from multiple people trying to use the same ticket (I've seen this done in numerous ways), people using "copies" of tickets, and people that will show an ticket and deliberately avoid activating it while making it appear it really is.  The longer these things have been around, the more new and improved issues arise.

5 minutes ago, Truckie said:

Can't say what happened in the specific circumstance as I wasn't there.   I will say, there are certain "features" that show up on the screen that prompts us to scan the QR code.  Since the powers to be can tell real time whether or not it's being done, it becomes an issue at times.  Especially when there are spotters on the train to "audit" us.  There are times a ticket gets scanned and our device will prompt whether it's valid, not valid or there's a discrepancy that could prompt further verification.

As far as scams and counterfeit tickets?  They are plentiful.  Anything from multiple people trying to use the same ticket (I've seen this done in numerous ways), people using "copies" of tickets, and people that will show an ticket and deliberately avoid activating it while making it appear it really is.  The longer these things have been around, the more new and improved issues arise.

Interesting...

2 hours ago, 40MntVrn said:

Any idea why there are hourly short-turns to/from Crestwood on weekends? Is there really a need for 20-minute service south of White Plains?

Are these runs new? This is the first time I ever heard of these Crestwood short turns... Gotta ride em one of these upcoming weekend.

4 hours ago, 40MntVrn said:

Any idea why there are hourly short-turns to/from Crestwood on weekends? Is there really a need for 20-minute service south of White Plains?

The Botanical Garden people are a big crowd, and the crowding has worsened on weekends. I know since I've used those Harlem trains. Definitely needed... Since they increased the frequency to Melrose and Tremont, I suppose they also decided to expand in other areas to match demand.

6 hours ago, 40MntVrn said:

It’s to accommodate the construction project at White Plains. With two less trains per hour (one in each direction), it makes it easier to single track in and out of White Plains on one track and do station repairs on the opposite side.

Now, why the Crestwood trains run express (GCT, 125, Fordham, Mt. Vernon West, then all stops) and don’t connect to anything on the weekends is another matter. Makes these short turns even more pointless.

The weekday short turns do connect to/from Southeast trains tho, and those selected trains make the extra stops between Crestwood and White Plains.

Also, no new service was added. These short turns are trains that used to go to North White Plains but were cut back.

Edited by paulrivera
Clarity.

10 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

It’s to accommodate the construction project at White Plains. With two less trains per hour (one in each direction), it makes it easier to single track in and out of White Plains on one track and do station repairs on the opposite side.

Now, why the Crestwood trains run express (GCT, 125, Fordham, Mt. Vernon West, then all stops) and don’t connect to anything on the weekends is another matter. Makes these short turns even more pointless.

The weekday short turns do connect to/from Southeast trains tho, and those selected trains make the extra stops between Crestwood and White Plains.

Also, no new service was added. These short turns are trains that used to go to North White Plains but were cut back.

So basically this is the Metro North version of that (4) line G.O in the BX 😃

Sucks as I was hoping they would increase service, increased service = higher chance of the M3s running on weekends, oh well.

10 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I didn’t look at any schedules (just read the comments here), but they should definitely add more service in the near future. That said, I don’t get your beef with the stops that they make. What else should they connect to? They basically make all stops aside from the stops in the Bronx, which means these trains are focused moreso on Westchester patrons. If it’s just Bronx folks, you can have mods trains terminate at Mount Vernon West like some trains do during peak service.

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I didn’t look at any schedules (just read the comments here), but they should definitely add more service in the near future. That said, I don’t get your beef with the stops that they make. What else should they connect to? They basically make all stops aside from the stops in the Bronx, which means these trains are focused moreso on Westchester patrons. If it’s just Bronx folks, you can have mods trains terminate at Mount Vernon West like some trains do during peak service.

I’ll show you what I mean:

image0.png

This is the weekend schedule. 9337 and 9341 terminate at Crestwood. My only gripe is that most of the time during the weekend, the schedule looks exactly like this and there’s no train to take you from Crestwood to White Plains (And points beyond) like there is during the week (look at 327, 331, 335 for the weekday)

image0.png

You’re on the right track tho, they can start by adding more half hourly service to the Southeast trains.

22 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

For the last few weekends, I've seen that Atlantic Terminal has significantly reduced service due to "rehabilitation of the Atlantic Overpass and the LIRR’s Nostrand Avenue Station"

Anyone know how many more weekends this will last? 

They are keeping this info well-hidden. They have only been notifying about each weekend's changes a few days in advance. Nothing is on the MTA website for future dates.

On 1/30/2019 at 3:40 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

On 1/30/2019 at 7:34 PM, Truckie said:

This is my fault for not checking the forums regularly but that was in reference to the cross honoring and not an e-Ticket. I had the service change posted on my phone in anticipation of the C/R not being aware of cross-honoring on the LIRR. I always take advantage of LIRR cross honoring. Like last I believe was last summer when they were cross-honoring to Jamaica. 

Why is the Hudson Line in the Bronx so slow-ass slow? Today I took a local from Spuyten Duyvil to Grand Central at 12:40 pm. At the station, it was announced the train would be 5-10 minutes late (a regular occurrence, BTW). Anyway, train arrives 8  minutes late. I figure, OK, we'll make up some time on the way down. But no, we amble along, hitting no more than 35 MPH, most of the time lower, like 15-20. Now, most of the line is straight, with no merges, albeit stations are fairly close. But even on the long straight stretch from Morris Heights to Yankee Stadium, we slow-poke it along. So I assume we'll be even later arriving at GCT. But we arrive there exactly 8 minutes later than scheduled - so, since we left 8 minutes late, this tells me the slow-running is baked into the timetables. But why? Even the northbound trains on the same stretch move faster.