LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And do they come with free transfers?

most people have unlimited cards and the only express bus that outright duplicates MNRR has ridership so low it's laughable. It's ridership is so abysmal you see empty rush hour buses and it has one of if not the highest cost per passenger. The others are nowhere near MNRR and even if penn access was added the MNRR would bypass the core areas in manhattan most BXM riders are going to anyway. Unlike LIRR which has 2 duplicative routes 3 if you count QM10 but even that is questionable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You're about two weeks late on this one....

Regardless, this clown must have gotten caught ducking into the bathroom too many times.  Now he has to resort to new and improved ways of beating the fare.

farebeating on LIRR is way more widespread than you think. Many beaters figured out when the conductors collect tickets on the LIRR and take a chance with the onboard fare.

farebeating on LIRR is way more widespread than you think. Many beaters figured out when the conductors collect tickets on the LIRR and take a chance with the onboard fare.

I never thought for a second that the LIRR didn't have wide spread fair beaters.  I don't know why they would be any different than MNR.

I never thought for a second that the LIRR didn't have wide spread fair beaters.  I don't know why they would be any different than MNR.

Here's a question for you... Took MetroNorth this morning due to the crappy weather and the train was PACKED.  <_< Anywho, no one had their ticket checked, so I got a free ride.  That's never happened before... What gives?? Too crowded to check tickets?? 

Here's a question for you... Took MetroNorth this morning due to the crappy weather and the train was PACKED.  <_< Anywho, no one had their ticket checked, so I got a free ride.  That's never happened before... What gives?? Too crowded to check tickets?? 

Don't know, wasn't there.

There could have been equipment problems causing the train to make addtional stops or a train picking up more passengers than usual.

Unfortunately there are times that trains are too crowded to collect revenue.  If the train is SRO with the vestibules and isles packed, how is the crew supposed to collect and get back to the doors for the next station stop?  Keeping the train running with minimal delay is a priority.  That means the train crew's priority is to protect the doors and operate on time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying revenue is important, just a lower priority than safety and on time performance.

Edited by Truckie

Don't know, wasn't there.

There could have been equipment problems causing the train to make addtional stops or a train picking up more passengers than usual.

Unfortunately there are times that trains are too crowded to collect revenue.  If the train is SRO with the vestibules and isles packed, how is the crew supposed to collect and get back to the doors for the next station stop?  Keeping the train running with minimal delay is a priority.  That means the train crew's priority is to protect the doors and operate on time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying revenue is important, just a lower priority than safety and on time performance.

Oh I'm not complaining either... I love getting a free ride...   :D If the weather is crappy tomorrow or Friday I'll consider using the ticket then. That was the first time though that I've been on and haven't had my ticket collected.  I thought I saw someone collecting tickets in the adjacent car but once we got to 125th street I was almost certain that no one was collecting tickets.  I was surprised because it was indeed crowded, but no more crowded then I've seen in the past when the weather is crappy.

LOL... It's amazing that you guys really care about on time performance. Why is that? Doesn't seem that way with the subway, that's for sure. Does the cost have anything to do with it?? I will say that I can only recall one time that there was any delay and I still got to the office on time.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

LOL... It's amazing that you guys really care about on time performance. Why is that?

The thing with on time performance is if one train gets delayed, it causes a domino effect with others. 

Another reason is if a train arrives to it's final terminal more than 5 minutes and 59 seconds (the industry standard for OTP) by a train crew for unjustified reasons (holding up the train to collect revenue is not jusified), the conductor is reponsible to reporting it the the chief RTC and explain why the train is late and the whole crew will likely have to report to a train master (operation manager).

The thing with on time performance is if one train gets delayed, it causes a domino effect with others. 

Another reason is if a train arrives to it's final terminal more than 5 minutes and 59 seconds (the industry standard for OTP) by a train crew for unjustified reasons (holding up the train to collect revenue is not jusified), the conductor is reponsible to reporting it the the chief RTC and explain why the train is late and the whole crew will likely have to report to a train master (operation manager).

LMAO... Now that's funny...  And why is MNRR standards set so high when it comes to on-time performance in comparison to the subway? That's what you still haven't clarified.

LMAO... Now that's funny...  And why is MNRR standards set so high when it comes to on-time performance in comparison to the subway? That's what you still haven't clarified.

Simple the MNRR actually gives A f**k ABOUT ON-TIME PERFORMANCE.

The subway comes when it wants not giving 2 shits about people's trips. There are no standards look at the (R)(2) and (A) they all suck.

The subway comes when it wants not giving 2 shits about people's trips. There are no standards look at the (R)(2) and (A) they all suck.

So says the man who has never "seen the man" or had to provide a written report pertaining to lateness. BTW I can attest that a subway crew will be questioned enroute, by radio, if a train is operating over 2 minutes late as per schedule. There are standards for railroads and subways just not the same exact ones. We all have to answer for late trains.

You know, for what it is worth some riders have better experiences with the (N) in contrast to the (R).

So says the man who has never "seen the man" or had to provide a written report pertaining to lateness. BTW I can attest that a subway crew will be questioned enroute, by radio, if a train is operating over 2 minutes late as per schedule. There are standards for railroads and subways just not the same exact ones. We all have to answer for late trains.

lol... So then how are the standards different? In other words, why does MNRR have such high on time performance compared to the subways?? 

I'm sorry I haven't clarified the comparison. 

Simply put, I don't know.  I don't work for the subway and have absolutely no knowledge of their operations. 

I'm not quite sure what the funny part is.

Edited by Truckie