LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

15 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Train 9003 to GCT is crowded…never knew there was such a high demand for LIRR service to GCT.

To be fair, it’s an hourly shuttle during the rush. However, that’s the issue with service expansion/extensions/changes (as with the bus redesigns), you'll have those saying “there’s no demand for this change/connection/extension!” when it’s like, “well.... yeah, that trip is difficult to make with the current network, so either the trip isn’t made, they go the long way, FHV service is used, they get a ride from friends/family or buy a car.”

Edited by N6 Limited

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

* Are the M9s still being delivered at this time? So far, I saw car #9187 as the highest of this order at Grand Central, seeing that it only goes up to 9202. Or to that there's missing sets to this order.

* Also, with Grand Central that was opened to the public last week, the sighting of the M3 train is more common than before that I can see only see at least 1 if I was at Jamaica station. There's one M3 train that I've noticed that had the yellow line painted on the roof (cars #9825/9826). 

Edited by Calvin
Asking bc I haven't used LIRR that much than the NYC Bus/Subway system

25 minutes ago, JustTheSIR said:

I’ve spoken to my dad about going to Jamaica for the GCM shuttle. He says he’s worried about the ice piling up since the Queens section is outdoors. Is this something to be worried about?

Why would it be a problem? Usually when snow is forecasted, the crews come out and salt the platforms, stairs, etc. In any event, there is no snow predicted, so why be worried about it?

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Why would it be a problem? Usually when snow is forecasted, the crews come out and salt the platforms, stairs, etc. In any event, there is no snow predicted, so why be worried about it?

Yeah, I think he's just hearing the news wrong and is over exaggerating the weather reports. Cool thing to keep an eye out for though

On 1/25/2023 at 10:27 PM, xD4nn said:

The signal system is the same. It is ACSES and LIRR's form of ATC...

It was explained on another railfan site that the M3s were not rebuilt with the updated signal aspects for ESA and can only run on restricted speed in ESA cause the M3s wouldn't recognize the signal system. 

On 1/29/2023 at 5:05 PM, Lawrence St said:

Who the heck voices grand central for the LIRR? It sounds so off and bassy!

Charlie Pellet.

13 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

How often do the M3 train cars run in service. Is there an easier timeframe to catch one or is it just pure luck.

They can show up whenever. The best time is during rush hour, but they’re running on random trips throughout the day. An M3 was running on the Hempstead Branch all day on Sunday, so they’ll be running more frequently as service to GCM picks up.

1 hour ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Charlie Pellet.

They can show up whenever. The best time is during rush hour, but they’re running on random trips throughout the day. An M3 was running on the Hempstead Branch all day on Sunday, so they’ll be running more frequently as service to GCM picks up.

Say what now?

20 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

It was explained on another railfan site that the M3s were not rebuilt with the updated signal aspects for ESA and can only run on restricted speed in ESA cause the M3s wouldn't recognize the signal system. 

That is not at all true. The PTC in ESA is the same for the whole system. The reason why M3s cannot run in ESA is they cannot get up the grade in the 63rd street tunnels.

55 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Isn’t the Grand Central LIRR trains suppose to be direct? How come I keep seeing Woodside as a stop?

It is direct as in you no longer need to take the subway from Penn Station to get to Grand Central, not direct as in no stops. There are express trains to Grand Central from Jamaica, but there are also local ones that also stop at Woodside, Forest Hills, and Kew Gardens.

On 2/9/2023 at 9:53 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

That's only some Main Line trains stopping at those stations. They aren't adding extra physical trains to stop there.

Yes, but it’s the stations I use, so it’s  much better 😁. Also, the Huntington Trains are all local From Jamaica, making intermediate trips feasible.

What does it mean these notes "ATTENTION CUSTOMERS: At stations west of Jamaica, westbound trains may depart stations up to three minutes earlier than times shown" and "On all branches, eastbound trains may depart stations east of Jamaica up to three minutes earlier than times shown"? Why?

https://new.mta.info/document/105271

https://new.mta.info/document/105306

Edited by I love NY