LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

1 hour ago, I love NY said:

What does it mean these notes "ATTENTION CUSTOMERS: At stations west of Jamaica, westbound trains may depart stations up to three minutes earlier than times shown" and "On all branches, eastbound trains may depart stations east of Jamaica up to three minutes earlier than times shown"? Why?

https://new.mta.info/document/105271

https://new.mta.info/document/105306

Basically, they want to emphasize that once trains have passed Jamaica in either direction, they might run up to three minutes earlier than the scheduled time, because the majority of boarding passengers would already be on the train.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Basically, they want to emphasize that once trains have passed Jamaica in either direction, they might run up to three minutes earlier than the scheduled time, because the majority of boarding passengers would already be on the train.

And what about this line and these notes "Eastbound trains may depart stations between Woodside and Plandome up to three minutes earlier than times shown" and " Westbound trains may depart Woodside station up to three minutes earlier than times shown"?

https://new.mta.info/document/105296

2 hours ago, I love NY said:

And what about this line and these notes "Eastbound trains may depart stations between Woodside and Plandome up to three minutes earlier than times shown" and " Westbound trains may depart Woodside station up to three minutes earlier than times shown"?

https://new.mta.info/document/105296

Same reason. 

* LIRR service from the Atlantic Terminal will mostly run as a City Line Shuttle to/from Jamaica that involves connecting to another train. Although, there will be trains going past Jamaica Station but West Hempstead will remain on the schedule. There are some trips on the Babylon branch ending at Freeport with a peak trip to/from Hempstead. 

Far Rockaway Branch starting Monday, the 27th: If you're looking for service to/from Far Rockaway from Atlantic Terminal, the alternative is using the NYC Subway's (C) line from Lafayette Av and transferring to the (A) train at Utica or Euclid Av. Otherwise, you can connect to another train at Jamaica Station. 

* Speaking of M3s, the common sight to find them during the peak is mostly Jamaica, Woodside or Penn Station starting Monday with that new schedule. 

Edited by Calvin

Question :

Those WB expresses on the PW line that go ...Great Neck - Mets-Willets Point - Woodside - Penn..... I suppose I can understand doing that on game days, but baseball season been done.... Why do they have those trains during the offseason stopping at Mets-Willets Point, instead of LIRR Flushing?

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Question :

Those WB expresses on the PW line that go ...Great Neck - Mets-Willets Point - Woodside - Penn..... I suppose I can understand doing that on game days, but baseball season been done.... Why do they have those trains during the offseason stopping at Mets-Willets Point, instead of LIRR Flushing?

That's one of the locations you can get the COVID vaccine. They want to make it easier for people to reach that location.

Question for anyone who may know, but what are the yards of the LIRR that actually do maintenance for the trains themselves. I know there is Hillside support facility, there is Arch Street yard, there is the diesel yard in Jamaica for the C3’s, but are there any others?  

23 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

That's one of the locations you can get the COVID vaccine. They want to make it easier for people to reach that location.

I didn’t know they were still doing that since things are way more relaxed nowadays compared to this time last year. Most of the time I’ve gotten on there I’m usually the only one at the stop even when it was warmer out. 

With more trains to/from Grand Central and the Shuttle between Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal, Brooklyn with some trains to/from West Hempstead, I wonder if the LIRR has a good spare factor for trains in-service that included 100 M3 cars in-service. 

15 hours ago, Calvin said:

With more trains to/from Grand Central and the Shuttle between Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal, Brooklyn with some trains to/from West Hempstead, I wonder if the LIRR has a good spare factor for trains in-service that included 100 M3 cars in-service. 

from what I have heard, commuters have been complaining of crowding conditions because of LIRR trains being shortened to provide the new Grand Central service. The M9 order will need to be finished before any of the last M3s are retired

I'm reading online that NYP is still a far more popular destination than GCM for LIRR riders so far.

Crazy that they cut both the 3:07 AND 3:14 from NYP to Ronkonkoma, that 3:31 to Ronkonkoma must be getting hammered.

I wonder if LIRR was expecting a 50/50 balance between NYP and GCM terminals in terms of ridership.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

I'm reading online that NYP is still a far more popular destination than GCM for LIRR riders so far.

Crazy that they cut both the 3:07 AND 3:14 from NYP to Ronkonkoma, that 3:31 to Ronkonkoma must be getting hammered.

I wonder if LIRR was expecting a 50/50 balance between NYP and GCM terminals in terms of ridership.

The general expectation was for slightly more ridership to go to Penn Station, and so slightly more service was run there (for starters, all of the dual modes have to run to Penn Station due to the clearances issue, but that's only 5 trains, but in general there's still a few more trains towards Penn Station).

In any case, the Ronkonkoma service was redistributed during those timeframes, but not reduced. The 3:07pm was shifted to Grand Central and slightly earlier at 3:01pm, the 3:14pm was shifted to 3:31pm, the 3:55pm was shifted to 4:01pm, and the 4:09pm was shifted to Grand Central. Also, keep in mind that some people going to Main Line stations can use the 3:09pm to Huntington, or the 3:23pm to Jamaica, and then transfer to the Port Jefferson train to Mineola and Hicksville. 

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

They actually have to close the tunnels into Penn for repair so they might shift more trains into GCM. Remains to be seen but that's what I heard from a conductor. It could be allocated already in these schedules. I believe Line 4 was gonna close first and they'll hit all of them.

10 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

from what I have heard, commuters have been complaining of crowding conditions because of LIRR trains being shortened to provide the new Grand Central service. The M9 order will need to be finished before any of the last M3s are retired

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The schedules are ridiculous. I've seen countless posts from LIRR commuters livid about overcrowded trains from Penn while they run empty trains from GCM along with the insane transfer conditions where people have to transfer at Jamaica with minutes to spare and then RUN up escalators or stairs to get to the other platform to avoid missing their transfer, when before they had direct service or had a train right across the platform.  Another example of the (MTA) not giving a damn about their customers. 

The interim LIRR President had the nerve to say that "customers will adjust" to the new schedules. What's going to happen is someone is going to be injured during the mad dash and sue the LIRR, as they should.  There are videos out showing this insanity on Twitter.

They had an opportunity to fix them when they surveyed riders and opted to keep this mess that they have now.  If people need GCM, great (provide the service that is needed), but they've changed the schedules in a way that forces some people into longer trips or they are forced to go out of the way to GCM to have a reasonable commute.  Just stupid all around.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I particularly don’t understand why they shortened the trains to begin with. I get that GCM can only hold 10 cars, but why did everything else in the system get reduced to 10 or less?

For one, rolling stock availability.