LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

2 hours ago, 40 to 241st said:

As some who relies on Metro North in Westchester what does everyone think about the Bee-line's redesign effect on the Metro North. 

I don't live in Westchester, but generally speaking I think it's good idea that they're attempting to integrate Metro-North into the bus system for intracounty riders. (To me, one of the big things I would do to increase connectivity to Metro-North is extend the BL-15 to Mount Kisco to give those riders access to both the Harlem Line and Hudson Line, especially since the BL-77 is proposed to be eliminated). Free transfers from Metro-North to the bus and later/more frequent service (hopefully for Manhattan-bound trips as well) should help boost ridership and encourage people to use the bus to Metro-North rather than driving.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I don't live in Westchester, but generally speaking I think it's good idea that they're attempting to integrate Metro-North into the bus system for intracounty riders. (To me, one of the big things I would do to increase connectivity to Metro-North is extend the BL-15 to Mount Kisco to give those riders access to both the Harlem Line and Hudson Line, especially since the BL-77 is proposed to be eliminated). Free transfers from Metro-North to the bus and later/more frequent service (hopefully for Manhattan-bound trips as well) should help boost ridership and encourage people to use the bus to Metro-North rather than driving.

I think that the 15 endng at the Katonah is good but Mt.Kisco isn't that bad are they going by the suggested or the reccomended bus map 

25 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

For the longest time I could never understand this agreement between MNR & CT Rail with the New Haven Line. Does MTA fully own the line, does CTRail own it, is it a split agreement, who owns the M8's? Seems like a big headache.

MNRR owns some and CDOT owns some. They are pooled into the same pool except the ones used on Shore Line East.

21 minutes ago, Calvin said:

With identification and proof of the rider, the person has been banned for riding the commuter rail, 3 years. Passed on to all MTA employees in the rail system. 

https://www.audacy.com/1010wins/news/local/man-cant-ride-lirr-metro-north-for-3-years-as-part-of-plea

Three years seems like a joke. That's not nearly enough and just the commuter railroads? Truth is this could've happened on any form of public transit, this guy should be ousted out of the entire MTA network and perma-banned. Imagine if this happened on a regular subway train with fewer employees around.

Edited by danielhg121

3 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Three years seems like a joke. That's not nearly enough and just the commuter railroads? Truth is this could've happened on any form of public transit, this guy should be ousted out of the entire MTA network and perma-banned. Imagine if this happened on a regular subway train with fewer employees around.

Maybe think about this a little more?

Mets-Willets Point will be a full time station starting Monday, April 24th. The (7) connects to the LIRR at said stations: Grand Central, Woodside-61 and Main St(Mets-Willets too). Hunterspoint Av is limited peak service. 

Edited by Calvin

32 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Mets-Willets Point will be a full time station starting Monday, April 24th. The (7) connects to the LIRR at said stations: Grand Central, Woodside-61 and Main St(Mets-Willets too). Hunterspoint Av is limited peak service. 

I wonder what the ridership for that station is outside of games. I will sometimes see one or two people get off but perhaps once the weather gets warmer more people will take it to access Flushing Meadows Park. 

17 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I wonder what the ridership for that station is outside of games. I will sometimes see one or two people get off but perhaps once the weather gets warmer more people will take it to access Flushing Meadows Park. 

Ridership is very low. There was no point of this.

10 hours ago, xD4nn said:

Ridership is very low. There was no point of this.

It’s practically in the middle of nowhere. Not too much people use that station for Flushing Meadows Corona Park outside of game days. At least Yankee Stadium-E 153rd street on the Hudson Line is located near homes and other businesses. 

I think Mets-Willets Point would see more usage if there was a stop in Elmhurst & Corona on the Port Washington Line. 

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It’s practically in the middle of nowhere. Not too much people use that station for Flushing Meadows Corona Park outside of game days. At least Yankee Stadium-E 153rd street on the Hudson Line is located near homes and other businesses. 

I think Mets-Willets Point would see more usage if there was a stop in Elmhurst & Corona on the Port Washington Line. 

That wouldn't really do much either. Most people who live in Elmhurst can't afford it. The people who do wouldn't take it anyways.

* Going from Jamaica Station to Atlantic Terminal, I, myself as well as other commuters had a lot of "excuse me, apologies, or even, wait for me!". That's due to a train arriving at Jamaica Station approaching a minute before the Brooklyn Shuttle departed Jamaica Terminal. A lot of running but, all passengers from that train arriving at Jamaica got to the Brooklyn train. It was a train from Huntington that was 3 minutes late to the station due to traffic at the said station as the Port Jefferson train was a Shuttle at that time. Shout out to the conductors on the Brooklyn train for holding even if it was a minute or two late leaving the station, rather than waiting another 20 minutes for the next Shuttle. When arriving at Atlantic Terminal, it arrived as expected on the train schedule. But, the conductor on that Brooklyn train was friendly and mentioned that almost every time past rush hour (he's a PM tour), there are always commuters making a dash to the train at every departures at Jamaica station. I heard from one person that "you going to need a lot of pacing at that terminal", he wasn't joking, but, peak hours: they have to leave to keep schedule. (Train arrived at Jamaica: 9:43 PM track 1, Atlantic train: 9:44 PM, track 11 - left at 9:46 PM but arrived at 10:04 PM at Atlantic Term.)

* Also, my trip to Huntington was all 4 types of train from the start of Atlantic Terminal for a special book event. 

- To Jamaica: 8-car M3, Super Express from Atlantic Terminal, then Diesel with 4 Bi-Level cars to Port Jefferson, but got off at Huntington (that train started at Hunters point Av as it had engine 405 and cab-car 5002). 

- Leaving Huntington: 10-car M7 to Jamaica (train is destined to Grand Central) and the Shuttle from Jamaica to Atalnitc Terminal was a 8-car M9. 

Point-out: Atlantic Terminal, tracks 5 and 6 are extra tracks in-case for lay-up. Otherwise, those 2 out of the 4 are abandoned to the public. 

Edited by Calvin

8 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I rode LIRR for the first time yesterday, does no one else find it odd how all the doors open at Hillside? What if a tourist gets lost and gets off the platform by accident?

At a station that you'd either need to ride through or go through third parties just to know it exists? Let's not forget that the trains themselves aren't designed to properly accommodate standees.

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I rode LIRR for the first time yesterday, does no one else find it odd how all the doors open at Hillside? What if a tourist gets lost and gets off the platform by accident?

Not really an issue. They definitely watch who gets off at the station, so a disembarking mistake would be swiftly addressed.

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Why was it logistical to rebuild the Harlem Line and extend it between Dover Plains & Wassaic, but not between Wassaic and Chatham Square?

Is there a Chatham Square north of Wassaic that I'm unaware of?

8 hours ago, Lex said:

Is there a Chatham Square north of Wassaic that I'm unaware of?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Station_(Chatham,_New_York)

This was the true terminal for the Harlem Line. Service during the Conrail era got cut back to Dover Plains, and the line got ripped up north of Dover Plains until MTA came in and rebuilt the line between Dover Plains & Wassaic.

The Long Island Railroad M3 pair #9945-9946 has PTC equipped. It was seen today at Nostrand Av on the Atlantic Shuttle as the last car (8 car train) making a super express trip from Atlantic to Jamaica PM peak hour. 1 out of 3 M3 trains on the City Line in Brooklyn.