LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I think they've let 604 go a couple times anyways, for the most part the reverse-commute trains that go against the grain take a back seat to keeping the westbounds flowing, especially in single-track territory.

Wait, by "let go" you mean that they let the train run near-empty, not just cancel it?

Track conditions at NHP?

There have been LIRR workers at Stewart Manor for the past two weeks.  What's been going on?

Midday tie replacement

There was bad congestion west of UN.  They had to send 604 east with or without its connection or else it would risk missing meets with 613 at FOX and 615 at STONY, messing things up for those trains with even more people on them.

And I think they've let 604 go a couple times anyways, for the most part the reverse-commute trains that go against the grain take a back seat to keeping the westbounds flowing, especially in single-track territory.

Hate to break it to you but 604 carries just as many people as one of those rush hour westbounds east of Huntington. The LIRR under-estimates the usage those things get from SUNY students. The RR culture needs to adapt. So the westbounds would get delayed, they have no problem delaying 604 or the other reverse peak trains when the other direction has a problem. Having the 604 leaving without it's connection is akin to leaving 40 people standing in Roslyn for an hour for the next n27. The LIRR used to always hold connections, but I've been seeing this more & more. You dont run an empty train leaving a 4 car seated load waiting for cheese buses. I'm really surprised no one has capitalized on the idea of starting a bus service that runs from points in Queens and stopping at Hicksville and SUNY Stony Brook. It could run more frequently than trains and give LIRR some competition. Perhaps thats something that 7 bus should think about...I hear they're not doing so well, probably due to the lack of intra-island options. 

Edited by PinePower

Wait, by "let go" you mean that they let the train run near-empty, not just cancel it?

Yeah, some people is better than no people at all.

Hate to break it to you but 604 carries just as many people as one of those rush hour westbounds east of Huntington. The LIRR under-estimates the usage those things get from SUNY students. The RR culture needs to adapt. So the westbounds would get delayed, they have no problem delaying 604 or the other reverse peak trains when the other direction has a problem. Having the 604 leaving without it's connection is akin to leaving 40 people standing in Roslyn for an hour for the next n27. The LIRR used to always hold connections, but I've been seeing this more & more. You dont run an empty train leaving a 4 car seated load waiting for cheese buses. I'm really surprised no one has capitalized on the idea of starting a bus service that runs from points in Queens and stopping at Hicksville and SUNY Stony Brook. It could run more frequently than trains and give LIRR some competition. Perhaps thats something that 7 bus should think about...I hear they're not doing so well, probably due to the lack of intra-island options. 

I hate to break it to you, but I'm not saying that train 604 doesn't carry people, it's that train 604 had to depart UN on or close to schedule to avoid messing things up.  If they chose to hold 604 until whenever the its connection arrived, it would not be able to leave Huntington until 613 came through at 7:45 or else it would risk running into 611.  At that point, the buses probably would have gotten people to their destinations faster.  And even after waiting until 7:45 the train would be further delayed because it would have to meet 615 someplace else now (probably at DUKE).

And I don't have the timetable in front of me, but I think 604 turns for 617 at Port Jefferson, so now that that turn is thrown out of whack too (and subsequently 617's relatively tight turn for 608 at HN).  623 and 650 might even get screwed up too depending on how things go.

So you're saying that they should have held 604 for its connection at UN while in the process delaying 611, 613, 615, 617, 608, and possibly 623 and 650.  The entire student population at SUNY Stony Brook must be on that train to make it have more riders and more importance than seven other ones.

I don't like to see when connections get let go and the people are put on buses, however, sometimes it's the only option.

Edited by lirr42

Yeah, some people is better than no people at all.

I hate to break it to you, but I'm not saying that train 604 doesn't carry people, it's that train 604 had to depart UN on or close to schedule to avoid messing things up.  If they chose to hold 604 until whenever the its connection arrived, it would not be able to leave Huntington until 613 came through at 7:45 or else it would risk running into 611.  At that point, the buses probably would have gotten people to their destinations faster.  And even after waiting until 7:45 the train would be further delayed because it would have to meet 615 someplace else now (probably at DUKE).

And I don't have the timetable in front of me, but I think 604 turns for 617 at Port Jefferson, so now that that turn is thrown out of whack too (and subsequently 617's relatively tight turn for 608 at HN).  623 and 650 might even get screwed up too depending on how things go.

So you're saying that they should have held 604 for its connection at UN while in the process delaying 611, 613, 615, 617, 608, and possibly 623 and 650.  The entire student population at SUNY Stony Brook must be on that train to make it have more riders and more importance than seven other ones.

I don't like to see when connections get let go and the people are put on buses, however, sometimes it's the only option.

It was 27 minutes late, would've probably arrived in by 7:23am ish, and 604 would've got going by 7:30am less than a half hour late, no Biggie IMO. 604 sits in a siding so it aint tying anyone up. Of course things could run alot smoother on the PJ line if they started using that 2nd track in Greenlawn. SUNY students have only 2 trains to get to school in the morning, whereas the NYC commuters have 8. Stony Brook U is like a minicity, the LIRR needs to wake up and start leveling the playing field a little bit. 613 could've waited at Northport siding and 615 at Smithtown and 617 would've gone out with a minor delay. Let the peakers make some sacrifices...

From what I've heard from the students, they're not happy with the LIRR service because its so unreliable and whenever something goes wrong they pay the price. I'm sure if you go around and ask many of the professors they'll tell you many times they have missing students, could be as much as half the class, thanks to LIRR issues. Pretty sure those buses resulted an at least an hour's delay for them (consider rush hour traffic!), just because the RR didn't want to delay the peakers more than 10 or 15 min. This BS has to stop, just because they are students doesn't make them any less important, they still have to be places on time!   :angry:

Edited by PinePower

It was 27 minutes late, would've probably arrived in by 7:23am ish, and 604 would've got going by 7:30am less than a half hour late, no Biggie IMO. 604 sits in a siding so it aint tying anyone up. Of course things could run alot smoother on the PJ line if they started using that 2nd track in Greenlawn. SUNY students have only 2 trains to get to school in the morning, whereas the NYC commuters have 8. Stony Brook U is like a minicity, the LIRR needs to wake up and start leveling the playing field a little bit. 613 could've waited at Northport siding and 615 at Smithtown and 617 would've gone out with a minor delay. Let the peakers make some sacrifices...

From what I've heard from the students, they're not happy with the LIRR service because its so unreliable and whenever something goes wrong they pay the price. I'm sure if you go around and ask many of the professors they'll tell you many times they have missing students, could be as much as half the class, thanks to LIRR issues. Pretty sure those buses resulted an at least an hour's delay for them (consider rush hour traffic!), just because the RR didn't want to delay the peakers more than 10 or 15 min. This BS has to stop, just because they are students doesn't make them any less important, they still have to be places on time!   :angry:

Like I said, 604 would have had to wait until 613 came west at 7:45, so that would be the earliest that train would have been able to start east.  The passing siding at Greenlawn is OOS and fixing it up so some reverse-commute trains can run during occasional service disruptions isn't in the budget.  While it may have stunk to have gotten left on the platform at UN it happens to all of us at times, and there's nothing we can do about it.  Your insistence that the LIRR should have taken care of the minority while in the process messing things up for so many more people doesn't make much sense.

Just why don't they use the Greenlawn siding anyway?

It was never interlocked back when they were doing the other ones since COREY and DUKE were so close anyways.  I think the passing track is completely OOS and unusable now and there are derails on either end of it.

Random thought that could apply to other commuter railroads...

What if they served BOB snacks on longer (1:45 hr+) trips?

Tying on to this... does the MTA allow alcohol on commuter trains? Here they do... just saw a 12 pack get broken open. and a bottle of wine.

Alcohol isn't allowed on LIRR and MNRR except on some occasions. AFAIK. They did have a pilot on the LIRR PW branch some years ago but that didn't turn out so well so it was cancelled.

Alcohol is allowed on Metro North trains with few exceptions. One being St Patty's Day.

In fact alcohol is served on some New Haven Line trains and adjacent to platforms at GCT as passengers are boarding the trains.

Alcohol isn't allowed on LIRR and MNRR except on some occasions. AFAIK. They did have a pilot on the LIRR PW branch some years ago but that didn't turn out so well so it was cancelled.

On LIRR trains alcohol is allowed on all trains at all times except those that arrive or depart their terminals between 12:01am and 5am Saturday and Sunday mornings and other announced days (i.e. St. Patrick's Day, big parting weekends, etc.)

Like I said, 604 would have had to wait until 613 came west at 7:45, so that would be the earliest that train would have been able to start east.  The passing siding at Greenlawn is OOS and fixing it up so some reverse-commute trains can run during occasional service disruptions isn't in the budget.  While it may have stunk to have gotten left on the platform at UN it happens to all of us at times, and there's nothing we can do about it.  Your insistence that the LIRR should have taken care of the minority while in the process messing things up for so many more people doesn't make much sense.

It was never interlocked back when they were doing the other ones since COREY and DUKE were so close anyways.  I think the passing track is completely OOS and unusable now and there are derails on either end of it.

I think restoring the siding would be worth it, especially considering there's not much legroom at Huntington. The single track really retards reliability on the PJ branch when things go wrong. When was that siding ever in service anyways?

I think restoring the siding would be worth it, especially considering there's not much legroom at Huntington. The single track really retards reliability on the PJ branch when things go wrong. When was that siding ever in service anyways?

The siding track was in use at some point, I'm sure.  It wouldn't make much sense for them to construct the track then immediately deem it OOS.  What probably happened was at some point in LIRR history was someone deemed that they could get along just fine without the siding, so why bother maintaining the whole second track? 

Restoring the second track to service probably wouldn't do that much good.  HUNT and DUKE are fairly close, and it's not like they can just randomly increase service, they do not have the equipment to do that.  The small amount of added flexibility would not be worth the expense.  And using it to expand 'legroom' at Huntington wouldn't help much either, because there is no way to layup electric trains at Greenlawn.

On LIRR trains alcohol is allowed on all trains at all times except those that arrive or depart their terminals between 12:01am and 5am Saturday and Sunday mornings and other announced days (i.e. St. Patrick's Day, big parting weekends, etc.)

Interesting. I thought they banned it like the MBTA (or atleast I think the MBTA did). When I first moved here, It was extremely odd to see stations selling 24oz cans, people with bottles of wine and yesterday, 2 cases of pint beers (18 total). I've always wondered if the people that drink on Metra go home drunk.... 

In constrast, the CTA prohibits alcohol for obvious reasons.

LOL... Took Metro North this morning... What was funny was this little old lady that boarded with me in Spuyten Duyvil.  The guy collecting the tickets goes, you seniors are killing me! :lol:  The fare was something like $4.00 to go to Grand Central and she paid in coins!  LMAO 

Take a guess as to what the next person got as change....

Take a guess as to what the next person got as change....

lol... I think he was referring moreso to how many seniors he had to tend to (as in they take up a lot of time forcing him to hustle to collect tickets in other cars) rather than the amount of change they dump on him, but I just thought it was hilarious that he said what he said.  She just sat there like she was spaced out. I don't see too many seniors paying in change.  They usually do have a bit of cash on them if they're on MNRR.