LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So since i got this new job up in Yonkers, I have the option of taking Metro-North up to work. I've done it a few times, (even the day after the accident) and I must say that it is kinda relaxing. The price isn't that bad since I'm only in Zone 3 (Fleetwood on the Harlem line, $7.50 from Grand Central off-peak...$3 if I'm feeling real cheap and catch it from Fordham lol) and it only takes about 30-35 minutes to get up there from Grand Central.

I filled it out again. Keep 'em coming, I like this LIRR Trivia game! :)

There will be one more round on Thursday (an that set will be different in spirit), but that will be it for a little while.  I only use the trivia posts when I don't have enough time to make up new ones, and my load is lightening up next week, so you won't see too many for a little while.  But keep checking!

I'm surprised people are having such a hard time with them.  There are some tricky ones there, but if you really know your LIRR stations they should be no problem.  The real tests are the ones along the Oyster Bay/West Hempstead/Hemsptead branches where all of the stations look very similar.   Those ones separate the men from the boys!

In that case I know that I at least have one station wrong because I didn't guess any station from the Hempstead branch. I did know that one station from the West Hempstead branch, that one was quite easy. I was doubting on the Oyster Bay one (I mean which of the stations along the branch) but I think I got it right.

Random question because I'm curious, with most Montauk Branch trains terminating in Speonk because that's where signals end, when they finally do finish the project to set up signals further east, from then on will most trains on the line run full service (at least distance wise, not necessarily making all stops) between Jamaica and Montauk? From what I understand, the only reason trains terminate at Speonk now is just because of lack of signals.

It would just be interesting to see more service going further east.

Random question because I'm curious, with most Montauk Branch trains terminating in Speonk because that's where signals end, when they finally do finish the project to set up signals further east, from then on will most trains on the line run full service (at least distance wise, not necessarily making all stops) between Jamaica and Montauk? From what I understand, the only reason trains terminate at Speonk now is just because of lack of signals.

It would just be interesting to see more service going further east.

That's not necessarily the reason.  There is far less ridership east of Speonk then there is west of there.  While there are riders who rely on the the branch daily (like me) there simply just isn't enough equipment and crews to run every train out to Montauk and back.  Sepeonk will stay the main eastern terminal since that is where the ridership ends.

Why in the world would you get on a Ronkonkoma train @ 5-ish in the morning if you need to go to Islip? And wanna get stink w/ the c/r on top of it..... This was earlier this morning...... He claimed he missed the Babylon train, but I'm not exactly buying that.... The c/r was sayin somethin about riding back to Jamaica, but I wasn't paying (as much) attention to that part of the exchange.......

What got annoying was that the guy kept trying to speak Central Islip being close (enough) to Islip to existence, and me & this other guy was basically saying, it's not close at all.... I had to laugh when dude actually asked is it close enough to walk (i.e. "how much miles"); the other guy said verbatim "nah, you aint walkin that"..... Then dude was like, I can catch a cab right? (to all 3 of us, the c/r, myself, and the other dude that interjected before I did)...... I chuckled at that also because you gotta be lucky to catch a cab during the day at Central Islip station - let alone that time a morning; it isn't like Mineola (for example) where the "base" of a taxicab company is at the RR station itself..... Islip is even worse than Central Islip in that regard; Islip is rather Is-olated (station's pretty dead if you ask me)......

Normally, I wouldn't speak up, but both dudes started lookin my way as they were talkin.... (Being that) I actually walked from 27a (montauk hwy) to the Cohalan court complex & from LIRR Central Islip to the court complex (on separate occasions), I was visualizing how long combining the 2 walks would be, when dude was like, is it close enough to walk..... And I started sayin in my head "good luck dude, especially in this time a night".....

I wonder how that conversation/inquiry ended after I got off....

There is no way in hell I'm jumping on a main line train if I need the montauk line... You're subjecting yourself to having to take SCT (which doesn't run all that early anyway), walking is NOT a realistic option, and cabs charge an arm & a leg if you travel too far away from base....

(case in point - 7 bucks from LIRR Mineola to anywhere in Carle Place (which includes the boundary @ old country/glen cove; just north of RFM.... LMFAO)... I can imagine how much a cabbie would charge from Central Islip or Ronkonkoma (where chances of catchin a cab is simply better than waiting along 100; LIRR Central Islip) to Islip RR, or wherever in Islip he was seeking (he never stated where exactly he was tryna get to...)

funny stuff....

That's a 4 1/2 mile walk from CI station to the Islip station. For those who don't know the area it's about the same distance from Main St (7) to the Sutphin Blvd (E), (J), LIRR station. From the Central Islip LIRR station if you catch a cab early in the morning I'd guess 95% of the time they would only take you to the court complex. That's not even halfway to the other station and rest assured you will pay big bucks just to go to the court complex. From the court complex if you're lucky you might be able to catch another cab toward Islip. The cabs make their money between the Central Islip LIRR station and the court complex. Most people in the Islip station area don't go near the courts unless they're on jury duty. There's a shopping complex near the courts and the LI Ducks baseball park but people frequenting those locations always drive. To be honest I'm not sure SCT has a bus route connecting the two LIRR stations.

That's a 4 1/2 mile walk from CI station to the Islip station. For those who don't know the area it's about the same distance from Main St (7) to the Sutphin Blvd (E), (J), LIRR station. From the Central Islip LIRR station if you catch a cab early in the morning I'd guess 95% of the time they would only take you to the court complex. That's not even halfway to the other station and rest assured you will pay big bucks just to go to the court complex. From the court complex if you're lucky you might be able to catch another cab toward Islip. The cabs make their money between the Central Islip LIRR station and the court complex. Most people in the Islip station area don't go near the courts unless they're on jury duty. There's a shopping complex near the courts and the LI Ducks baseball park but people frequenting those locations always drive. To be honest I'm not sure SCT has a bus route connecting the two LIRR stations.

The S42 I believe goes to Islip. As far as cabs, I'll walk for 3 hours before taking one, they're robbery on 4 wheels. Guy should've just taken the Montauk train!

S42 it is.... but SCT doesn't run at that time a morning (that's why I didn't even bring up the bus).....

Exactly, that's a big if..... Those cabs @ LIRR central Islip, I have to say you're right....

It's one of 2 places they generally take you to - The court complex (which is a great majority of their customers) or that of NYIT.....

....Those 3c's get packed b/w LIRR Central Islip & the court complex (which is the first stop) alone... I remember I used to take the 3d from end to end (basically) to get to stony brook, and in the morning (around 8am or so), you would see a good sized crowd waiting for the bus (3c) to get to the college (or the courts) from the RR sta... 

.....Like B35, I'm still trying to figure out this guy's final destination.

Why would anyone just hop on an LIRR train without knowing the stations and the surroundings ? SMH. Carry on.

That's the thing that got me.... When his ticket was in the seat check holder, I saw it was a ticket to central islip from penn station (I got on that ronkonkoma train at jamaica after having got off the far rock train from atlantic term)... Then when the c/r came over to him & punched his ticket & what not, that's when he asked his question......

When he mentioned Islip, I'm like wait a minute, why the hell are you on this train for......

What it is, is that you get folks that think islip, east islip, west islip, and central islip is all in one general/"central"ized area - They're not.

As you know, central islip & west islip is nowhere near islip & east islip (which are adjacent each other)... I mean shit, west islip is one town over away from Babylon (putting things into perspective)..... you also have islip terrace, which is anything north of 27, north of east islip.....

He said something about missing the Babylon train (which doesn't stop at islip anyway, he'd have to xfer for one of the diesels due east).... So my question is, did he have a ticket for Islip on his person as well.... If not for what I said above (about lumping the "islip's" as being all in one area), I don't know what would prompt anyone to do such a thing..... 

Not that he had to do it, but if he stated where he was going, any of the 3 of us could have helped him much more that what we did (again though, I don't know what transpired after I got off at mineola b/w the 2 of them.... The c/r walked off to collect/punch tickets on the other car behind, before I got off; who knows if she went back after she got to everybody, to try to help the guy...... The dude that interjected sounded like he knew his shit; screw it - hood nzzzz knew his shit.... Lol..... Kinda looked like (and was built like) Funk' Flex.....

S42 it is.... but SCT doesn't run at that time a morning (that's why I didn't even bring up the bus).....

Exactly, that's a big if..... Those cabs @ LIRR central Islip, I have to say you're right....

It's one of 2 places they generally take you to - The court complex (which is a great majority of their customers) or that of NYIT.....

....Those 3c's get packed b/w LIRR Central Islip & the court complex (which is the first stop) alone... I remember I used to take the 3d from end to end (basically) to get to stony brook, and in the morning (around 8am or so), you would see a good sized crowd waiting for the bus (3c) to get to the college (or the courts) from the RR sta... 

That's the thing that got me.... When his ticket was in the seat check holder, I saw it was a ticket to central islip from penn station (I got on that ronkonkoma train at jamaica after having got off the far rock train from atlantic term)... Then when the c/r came over to him & punched his ticket & what not, that's when he asked his question......

When he mentioned Islip, I'm like wait a minute, why the hell are you on this train for......

What it is, is that you get folks that think islip, east islip, west islip, and central islip is all in one general/"central"ized area - They're not.

As you know, central islip & west islip is nowhere near islip & east islip (which are adjacent each other)... I mean shit, west islip is one town over away from Babylon (putting things into perspective)..... you also have islip terrace, which is anything north of 27, north of east islip.....

He said something about missing the Babylon train (which doesn't stop at islip anyway, he'd have to xfer for one of the diesels due east).... So my question is, did he have a ticket for Islip on his person as well.... If not for what I said above (about lumping the "islip's" as being all in one area), I don't know what would prompt anyone to do such a thing..... 

Not that he had to do it, but if he stated where he was going, any of the 3 of us could have helped him much more that what we did (again though, I don't know what transpired after I got off at mineola b/w the 2 of them.... The c/r walked off to collect/punch tickets on the other car behind, before I got off; who knows if she went back after she got to everybody, to try to help the guy...... The dude that interjected sounded like he knew his shit; screw it - hood nzzzz knew his shit.... Lol..... Kinda looked like (and was built like) Funk' Flex.....

you work for LIRR?

Was this a weekday or a weekend? If it were the first Far Rock train from ATL on a weekday, then by the time the KO connection gets to CI, the wait at CI for the first southbound S42 is only around 35min. The next KO train won't get to CI until the 8am hour.

If he wanted to go to Islip, he would have to wait at Jamaica for a good 90min. The S42 would get to Islip station 47min before the next train. CI and Islip are in the same fare zone.

He couldn't have missed the Babylon train, for the previous train to diesel territory left Jamaica 5 hours ago.

Edited by Amtrak7

Was this a weekday or a weekend? 

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

Why in the world would you get on a Ronkonkoma train @ 5-ish in the morning if you need to go to Islip? And wanna get stink w/ the c/r on top of it..... This was earlier this morning...... 

A Weekday.

If it were the first Far Rock train from ATL on a weekday....

To clear up the confusion you're having.....

- I am the person that takes the first train out of Atlantic Terminal (the 5:12 to FRK) to Jamaica, to connect to that RKO train to Mineola....

- The guy in question that asked about going to Islip, took that same RKO train I was on, from Penn (the 5:11 to RKO)..... 

I'm questioning why he took an RKO train, period.....

If he wanted to go to Islip, he would have to wait at Jamaica for a good 90min. The S42 would get to Islip station 47min before the next train. CI and Islip are in the same fare zone.

He couldn't have missed the Babylon train, for the previous train to diesel territory left Jamaica 5 hours ago.

I've came to the conclusion that he thought Islip & Central Islip were close enough to each other... As if to say, if it has "Islip" in the name, it can't be that far away..... His concern was one of proximity, not one of money.... I mean, he was ready to hop in a cab from Central Islip to Islip.....

I don't see the relevance of stating that both stations are in the same fare zone.....

Mineola & all those stations w/i Nassau on the Hempstead line are in the same fare zone - Doesn't mean I'm gonna be stupid enough to take a Hempstead train to Garden City for Mineola (hell, even that distance is much closer to that of the difference in distance of LIRR Central Islip & LIRR Islip)....

As for missing the Babylon line, Thanks for confirming..... I figured that was a load of crap anyway....

Edited by B35 via Church

A Weekday.

To clear up the confusion you're having.....

- I am the person that takes the first train out of Atlantic Terminal (the 5:12 to FRK) to Jamaica, to connect to that RKO train to Mineola....

Good God... No wonder you hate the commute... You must wake up at the crack of dawn's @ss....  :lol: The earliest I'll wake up is 06:30 and that's usually because I want to watch the news.