LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

I actually took that KO train on Tuesday morning on my trip back from Pittsburgh. (Greyhound arrived over an hour early)

I was quite surprised at the number of passengers waiting at Jamaica for the train even though the Far Rockaway train was still pulling in and hadn't unloaded its connecting passengers yet.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually took that KO train on Tuesday morning on my trip back from Pittsburgh. (Greyhound arrived over an hour early)

I was quite surprised at the number of passengers waiting at Jamaica for the train even though the Far Rockaway train was still pulling in and hadn't unloaded its connecting passengers yet.

Jamaica? Shit, that train is packed enough when it leaves Penn..... 

But yeah, depending what car you board, You'll actually see folks standing sometimes after it leaves Jamaica....

Me, damn that.

Good God... No wonder you hate the commute... You must wake up at the crack of dawn's @ss....  :lol: The earliest I'll wake up is 06:30 and that's usually because I want to watch the news. 

Well, it's not the fact that I gotta catch an early train as to why I've grown to hate the commute/LIRR (although the ride on the 2 to get to Atlantic sucks)..... I actually don't mind riding early in the AM, in general (thanks to fantrips).... The connection @ Jamaica in the morning is  like clockwork)....

The commute coming home however, is the pits.... Like today for example... damn 6:34pm to jamaica was 8 mins late due to a problem w/ the switched, and the 6:15pm hicksville train (which arrives on the WESTbound track, mind you), was 10 mins late - oh, that was due to "equipment problems", whatever that means...... Good thing I didn't wanna go into manhattan today - because the 6:44 pm to damn penn was "Held" - because those 2 aforementioned trains were late..... God knows when the f*^# that train actually arrived @ mineola..... But when the 6:42  "6:34" arrived at Jamaica, that platform was packed to the damn brim - because apparently the Atlantic terminal train was late also.....

I swear, There's always some problem w/ that 6:34 (I said as such as I was pacing back & forth on the platform, and a couple ladies kept looking at me, then away from me.... at me, away from me.... that whole game)..... 3 weekdays in a row now the train's been late (last thursday, last friday, today).... Odd thing today that is, instead of the 4 car bi-level, we had the full 8 car bi-level train today..... Oyster Bay line does not need that around that time - even the c/r said as much (to another passenger) I guess he knew personally or w/e......

Edited by B35 via Church

Jamaica? Shit, that train is packed enough when it leaves Penn..... 

But yeah, depending what car you board, You'll actually see folks standing sometimes after it leaves Jamaica....

Me, damn that.

Well, it's not the fact that I gotta catch an early train as to why I've grown to hate the commute/LIRR (although the ride on the 2 to get to Atlantic sucks)..... I actually don't mind riding early in the AM, in general (thanks to fantrips).... The connection @ Jamaica in the morning is  like clockwork)....

The commute coming home however, is the pits.... Like today for example... damn 6:34pm to jamaica was 8 mins late due to a problem w/ the switched, and the 6:15pm hicksville train (which arrives on the WESTbound track, mind you), was 10 mins late - oh, that was due to "equipment problems", whatever that means...... Good thing I didn't wanna go into manhattan today - because the 6:44 pm to damn penn was "Held" - because those 2 aforementioned trains were late..... God knows when the f*^# that train actually arrived @ mineola..... But when the 6:42  "6:34" arrived at Jamaica, that platform was packed to the damn brim - because apparently the Atlantic terminal train was late also.....

I swear, There's always some problem w/ that 6:34 (I said as such as I was pacing back & forth on the platform, and a couple ladies kept looking at me, then away from me.... at me, away from me.... that whole game)..... 3 weekdays in a row now the train's been late (last thursday, last friday, today).... Odd thing today that is, instead of the 4 car bi-level, we had the full 8 car bi-level train today..... Oyster Bay line does not need that around that time - even the c/r said as much (to another passenger) I guess he knew personally or w/e......

Are we talking about the same AM train here? When I rode it there were plenty of seats available. Granted, I boarded in the rear half at Penn.

When that Hicksville eastbound that arrives on the westbound track is late, the first westbound Penn train must hold at Hicksville until that eastbound arrives in the station. It left there around 8min late today. Depending on the degree of lateness of that eastbound, the second Penn westbound sometimes has to wait until the eastbound turns around and leaves Hicksville on its deadhead trip west because the second westbound uses 1 track at Hicksville while the 6:45pm eastbound terminates on track 2. Because the eastbound was also late today, DIVIDE sent the second westbound through on 2 while the eastbound waited east of the station.

An 8 car train on the Oyster Bay is probably because somebody broke down and it was easier to couple up a second set than swap engines.

Edited by Amtrak7

Are we talking about the same AM train here? When I rode it there were plenty of seats available. Granted, I boarded in the rear half at Penn.

When that Hicksville eastbound that arrives on the westbound track is late, the first westbound Penn train must hold at Hicksville until that eastbound arrives in the station. It left there around 8min late today. Depending on the degree of lateness of that eastbound, the second Penn westbound sometimes has to wait until the eastbound turns around and leaves Hicksville on its deadhead trip west because the second westbound uses 1 track at Hicksville while the 6:45pm eastbound terminates on track 2. Because the eastbound was also late today, DIVIDE sent the second westbound through on 2 while the eastbound waited east of the station.

An 8 car train on the Oyster Bay is probably because somebody broke down and it was easier to couple up a second set than swap engines.

Well that depends on whatever train you're talking about - Because the RON train that departs Penn at 5:11, that gets to JAM at 5:32/33 is the same train I xfer to every morning..... Like I said, depending on where you board (being more specific, the center of the train), I do see people standing sometimes..... Don't understand it myself, but I, for one, aint standing from no Jamaica to Mineola..... Yeah, it has that stop at HSF (Hillside Fac.), but you'll get about 2 handfuls of ppl. disembarking from the entire train, tops.....

Where the bulk of these people are getting off at that time, I do not know....

But I can tell you it's not Mineola.....

Very few people (in the mornings, including weekends) board anything too close to the 8th av side of any LIRR train at Penn station, so of course seats are gonna a-plenty towards the back of the train, then... The weekend drunks all bombard anything from the 2nd to the 4th car (from the front), so whenever I do work saturdays, I gun for the back myself.... Nobody's coming that close to barfing on me ever again!

As for the rest of what you say....

1) I guess that tidbit of info's all good to know (I figured that 6:44 penn train was gonna be held anyway, since the preceeding 2 trains to arrive on the WB track were both late.... No way would they have that penn train be ~2 mins right behind the express to jamaica), but for a commuter, it still all amounts to a headache & a clusterf**k.... Lol....

2) Your guess is as good as mine.... To be honest, I didn't put too much stock into it, outside of the oddity of seeing it at that time....

(In other words, I don't care why they decided to run an 8 car train)....

Thanks for being informative though.

Well that depends on whatever train you're talking about - Because the RON train that departs Penn at 5:11, that gets to JAM at 5:32/33 is the same train I xfer to every morning..... Like I said, depending on where you board (being more specific, the center of the train), I do see people standing sometimes..... Don't understand it myself, but I, for one, aint standing from no Jamaica to Mineola..... Yeah, it has that stop at HSF (Hillside Fac.), but you'll get about 2 handfuls of ppl. disembarking from the entire train, tops.....

Where the bulk of these people are getting off at that time, I do not know....

But I can tell you it's not Mineola.....

Very few people (in the mornings, including weekends) board anything too close to the 8th av side of any LIRR train at Penn station, so of course seats are gonna a-plenty towards the back of the train, then... The weekend drunks all bombard anything from the 2nd to the 4th car (from the front), so whenever I do work saturdays, I gun for the back myself.... Nobody's coming that close to barfing on me ever again!

Yep the train I took was the 5:11. I walked down to the platform right as the track was called, it was absolutely empty except for maybe 25 passengers coming down the stairs at the 7 Av end. We did leave Penn 3min late so there may have been crowding at the east end.

Their destination is quite simple: east of Hicksville. Because of the rush hour the next Ronk train out of Penn isn't until 7:39am. So if they need to get there before 9am, they'll be on this train.

As for the rest of what you say....

1) I guess that tidbit of info's all good to know (I figured that 6:44 penn train was gonna be held anyway, since the preceeding 2 trains to arrive on the WB track were both late.... No way would they have that penn train be ~2 mins right behind the express to jamaica), but for a commuter, it still all amounts to a headache & a clusterf**k.... Lol....

2) Your guess is as good as mine.... To be honest, I didn't put too much stock into it, outside of the oddity of seeing it at that time....

(In other words, I don't care why they decided to run an 8 car train)....

I've taken the first off peak 10am-ish westbound at East Williston at least 15 times. Many of those times, especially if the train was late, it ran with an 8 car set.

Edited by Amtrak7

lol... The things LIRR commuters put up with... A total rip-off... Smh...

Their destination is quite simple: east of Hicksville. 

Yes, of course...

What I was asking in a roundabout way is, which of those main line stations are the bulk of those pax getting off in the AM....

Because of the rush hour the next Ronk train out of Penn isn't until 7:39am. So if they need to get there before 9am, they'll be on this train.

Yeh, and there's another ridiculous gap in service too....

If I don't catch that 5:51 out of atlantic terminal (which arrives along w/ a PJ train at JAM around a quarter after 6) that stops at mineola at 6:30), forget it.... The next train that stops at Mineola, arrives a quarter after freakin 8 (it's a short turn that ends in Hicksville)..... Meaning, I'd have to catch a train that leaves atlantic terminal almost a whopping god damn 2 hours later (the 7:41) to connect to that Hicksville train....

I could take that 5:51 out of atlantic term., but I like to get to the office a little early.... So I take the 5:12.

lol... The things LIRR commuters put up with... A total rip-off... Smh...

See above for more of the same...... A couple more weeks for my ride to have its repairs fixed & au revoir to this shit......

Edited by B35 via Church

Yeh, and there's another ridiculous gap in service too....

If I don't catch that 5:51 out of atlantic terminal (which arrives along w/ a PJ train at JAM around a quarter after 6) that stops at mineola at 6:30), forget it.... The next train that stops at Mineola, arrives a quarter after freakin 8 (it's a short turn that ends in Hicksville)..... Meaning, I'd have to catch a train that leaves atlantic terminal almost a whopping god damn 2 hours later (the 7:41) to connect to that Hicksville train....

Blame the NIMBY's in NHP and Floral Park who refuse to let the LIRR add a third track.

The one that arrives a quarter after 8 is a Ronkonkoma train. A very crowded one at that.

When will the LIRR start their work on extending the platforms at Forest Hills and Kew Gardens? How many cars long will the platforms be?

Using Tapatalk

I believe Kew Gardens is going to be 6 cars long. Not sure about the timing.

I never heard of a Forest Hills extension.

It said in the MTA's 20 year plan

Using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

lol... The only thing stopping this project is funding... With Cuomo on board, I wouldn't say it's a done deal but he'll be out there pushing for federal funding to get this deal done for the obvious reasons...

Yeah I see ridership sort of plummeting on the East Side lines and some express routes.

Yeah I see ridership sort of plummeting on the East Side lines and some express routes.

I don't know about that.  The one thing I have learned about Bronx express bus riders is that some of them are very loyal and vocal about their express bus service.  Metro-North would be providing access to the West Side and will also be more expensive than the express bus and may also not be that convenient to get to.  There are some real advantages to the express bus... One seat ride, generally located in more convenient areas than Metro-North and so on.  Most of the express buses serve areas not served by Metro-North. Also keep in mind that aside from the 4 stops in the Bronx, Metro-North will only be stopping at 34th street Penn Station, so unless you're going specifically to the West Side and around Penn Station it really doesn't benefit you because with the transferring, it eats away any real savings in time you get and seeing that most of the express bus riders tend to be seniors and females, they feel safer on the express bus than any train including Metro-North.

That's why for example, we in Riverdale have three express buses AND Metro-North.  It's located by the Hudson River, requires most Riverdalians to either drive to the stations or transfer to them via the Hudson Rail Link bus and only serves those going to Grand Central or Harlem.  In Riverdale many riders need the Upper East and Upper West Side, hence why the BxM1 and BxM2 do so well.  They also do well in Metro-North's territory too though because many people don't want to deal with the transfer, myself included.  Metro-North trains can be crowded too, so why should I pay more to stand when I can pay less to have two seats to myself and ride in comfort? These are all reasons why I think the express buses in the Bronx will be fine even with those Metro-North stations.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I recently created several different diagrams of Penn Station depicting the various different infrastructure characteristics of the different station tracks. As you might know, not all station tracks are not alike and these various constraints contribute to the overall craziness of Penn Station.

The diagrams were too large to post here (and compressing them down to 800px would be difficult), so I posted them on my site: http://www.thelirrtoday.com/2014/01/dif ... ation.html

Let me know what you think.

Technically Grand Central should be nicknamed the 44th street because that is where the actual platforms are 

The complex has had its name since 1904, so I don't think anyone has had actual problems with it. Having one name also reduces clutter on the map and makes it easy to show that it connects to the 42nd St (7); this is why Fulton, Court Sq, Jay St-Metrotech, and Broadway Junction have had their names consolidated.

The complex has had its name since 1904, so I don't think anyone has had actual problems with it. Having one name also reduces clutter on the map and makes it easy to show that it connects to the 42nd St (7); this is why Fulton, Court Sq, Jay St-Metrotech, and Broadway Junction have had their names consolidated.

I would vouch for Grand Central-44th St *IF* NYSubwayBuffs idea actually would make it through. But luckily it doesn t so I agree with this post of yours.