LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

It's" Grand Central Terminal" which encompasses the whole enchilada, station and platforms. That's it's name, just like Pennsylvania Station, Atlantic Terminal, Broadway Junction, or Journal Square.

Grand Central Terminal is where Metro North Railroad goes in and out of. Grand Central - 42nd St is the subway. Grand Central Station is the post office.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's" Grand Central Terminal" which encompasses the whole enchilada, station and platforms. That's it's name, just like Pennsylvania Station, Atlantic Terminal, Broadway Junction, or Journal Square.

I agree with you completely. But to be fair: Atlantic Terminal *was* actually renamed from Flatbush Ave only a couple of years ago. There are still signs of Flatbush Ave hanging on the ceiling lol. But yeah, I agree with you.

Is there a LIRR electric substation in Woodbury? where Sunnyside BLVD meets the Sunnyside Extension I always see a LIRR truck working there? anyone know about this?

I don't think so. That's miles from the nearest tracks.

That communication tower I see on Google Street View could be for LIRR radio operations.

Quick question. I'm not so much a railroad person, so I was wondering. Does the MTA pay for the diesel fuel it needs for the trains? Or is there some sort of state/federal subsidy?

MTA pays for the fuel, as far as I know. They do hedge fuel/get discounts for buying in bulk though.

Or is there some sort of state/federal subsidy?

It is difficult to pinpoint who exactly pays for the fuel.  While it is paid from the MTA's Operating Budget, it is state/federal subsidies that pay that, and subsequently the residents of Long Island/Hudson Valley/New York at large.

MTA pays for the fuel, as far as I know. They do hedge fuel/get discounts for buying in bulk though.

Being they are a government agency / authority,  they are required to go through a bidding process for it's purchase and are required to go with the lowest responsible bidder.  The exception is if they use the supplier named on the annual New York State bid.

Edited by Truckie

• 2 weeks later...

Today the harlem line was absolutely Screwed up. For the PM Peak, they had ONE TRAIN FOR THE ENTIRE LINE. Stoping at Melrose Tremont and every single stop up to Wassaic in One 7 car train.

Hourly Service? There was no standing room in the train! Why a 7 car Shoreliner?

Today the harlem line was absolutely Screwed up. For the PM Peak, they had ONE TRAIN FOR THE ENTIRE LINE. Stoping at Melrose Tremont and every single stop up to Wassaic in One 7 car train.

Hourly Service? There was no standing room in the train! Why a 7 car Shoreliner?

It's my guess that's all they had left to run since the electrics would not have gotten too far.

I'm just glad I didn't have to work in that mess.

MNR ran one express and one local each per hour on the Hudson and New Haven, and one superlocal an hour up the Harlem. I heard of a few electrics getting stuck earlier in the day, they probably didn't want a repeat of that.

LIRR ran a fairly normal rush everywhere but the Huntington, where most electrics were canceled and those that ran terminated at Hicksville for diesel shuttle service.

Well that's funny. Normally LIRR craps out and MNRR continues on. Which is one of the reasons LIRR gets trashed so much when it comes to stuff like this. But this time around, it seems like LIRR did a fairly good job.

Long Island only got approximately 1/2 the snow the northern regions of Metro North got. In Poughkeepsie, there was a total of 20 inches when everything was said and done. When I woke up this morning the snow in my driveway was up to my knees. That was after I cleared it last night.

Long Island only got approximately 1/2 the snow the northern regions of Metro North got. In Poughkeepsie, there was a total of 20 inches when everything was said and done. When I woke up this morning the snow in my driveway was up to my knees. That was after I cleared it last night.

I see father winter took a duce on dutchess county.

Took Metro-North to work today (I was in a good mood lol). Caught the 3:19 pm express Harlem train out of Grand Central. Funny thing was that the boards said the first stop would be Mt. Vernon West followed by Fleetwood (my stop), even the conductor said Mt. Vernon West would be the first stop. Ended up stopping at 125 St anyway (not that it mattered to me), then Mt. Vernon West.

Caught me an M3 too, only the second time I caught one since I started working up there

LMAO A local to Wassaic!? How long did that take to get up there?

Took Metro-North to work today (I was in a good mood lol). Caught the 3:19 pm express Harlem train out of Grand Central. Funny thing was that the boards said the first stop would be Mt. Vernon West followed by Fleetwood (my stop), even the conductor said Mt. Vernon West would be the first stop. Ended up stopping at 125 St anyway (not that it mattered to me), then Mt. Vernon West.

Caught me an M3 too, only the second time I caught one since I started working up there

From my experiences, even during off peak if you commute everyday you'll find quite a few.

Edited by CDTA

In my experience, the boards in GCT will show you the first stop after Harlem-125th Street, considering most trains stop at 125th Street (and usually they typically only receive passengers there).

The whole thing with Harlem 125 is even though most trains stop there, it's only to receive passengers (as designated in the public timetable by an "R").  This is the reason it's not announced that's it's the first "stop".  When a train stops there to receive passengers, the conductor has the option not to open all the cars.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the Elmhurst and Corona stations should be reopened to relieve crowding on the 7.

Also, I think the MTA should lower fares within NYC for MNRR and LIRR to equal the Subway fare or maybe $3, to encourage people to use the LIRR/MNR instead of the subways in order to relieve crowding. This would help for the Flushing and QBL Lines.