LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

LOL... I'll give you that much... I'll go one further and say that the current folks running the show are a big improvement.  I think now more than anything, the (MTA) suffers from ineptitude on some fronts, but I think they're making an effort to improve and weed out rude, unprofessional workers.  The workers on the Hudson Rail Link that I get are very courteous, warm and professional, even the non-regulars.  This morning I had a lovely Latina who I've had before filling in for the regular guy I get who is on vacation, and my ride in was pretty nice and relaxing.  Granted it was off-peak, so I had a seat and all, but still...  The person who collected my ticket, who I've also had before clearly enjoys what she days.  That's what I've been getting when I ride MNRR overall. Very few rude types.  

Improvement will always be slow to come to a giant agency as big as the MTA. Just be glad that the DMV isn't running it :P.

Edited by bobtehpanda

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What to do with 2 Penn - Stony Brook tickets (1 left on a seat & 1 on the floor/walkway) of a Huntington train.....

Some poor bastard gotta be pissed off right now... Probably some college kid or something, with as early a train I take......

This is the third ticket that I have found this week, alone (the other was RON-Penn, peak ticket)....

The carelessness....

What to do with 2 Penn - Stony Brook tickets (1 left on a seat & 1 on the floor/walkway) of a Huntington train.....

Some poor bastard gotta be pissed off right now... Probably some college kid or something, with as early a train I take......

This is the third ticket that I have found this week, alone (the other was RON-Penn, peak ticket)....

The carelessness....

I left a ticket behind once. Was buying a round trip City Ticket and didn't realize that two tickets print instead of it being on one whole ticket. Was rushing to make the train and only took the first ticket and left the second one in the machine. Didn't realize what I done until I was on the train.

The carelessness....

Unused tickets are the least things I find on the train when I work on them. You will be surprised of the things they leave and the carelessness of them. The thing that blew my mind one time when I first started was a prosthetic leg.

• 3 weeks later...

Left a little early today, and this happens:

Derailment @ jamaica.... Freight train.

I was wondering why there were so many men out there w/ orange suits on, as we came into Jamaica.....

Not to mention (why) the 5:00 train was a whopping 23 minutes late @ Mineola... lol.

(guess I'll look on the bright side... at least I didn't get to ride the B12 w/ the smelly guy in the red robe this evening)

Unused tickets are the least things I find on the train when I work on them. You will be surprised of the things they leave and the carelessness of them. The thing that blew my mind one time when I first started was a prosthetic leg.

Lol... I would imagine the shit you find on those trains, that us pax don't get to see.....

Edited by B35 via Church

LMAO! And what did you do with it?  Did you bring it to the "lost and found"??  :lol:

Heard there's been some issues on the New Haven line. Apparently it has something to do with a switch control house catching fire near Cos Cob. Then this morning I heard there was wire damage near Rye. Their system beginning to fall apart too? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One has nothing to do with the other. The wire damage was caused by an outside contractor's crane. In order to make the necessary repairs, the power had to be shut down.

Edited by Truckie

One has nothing to do with the other. The wire damage was caused by an outside contractor's crane. In order to make the necessary repairs, the power had to be shut down.

Either way the delays were insane on the New Haven Line... Another thing that irks me is that it seems like for some odd reason, most of the off-peak trains that I get going to the city on the Hudson Line are always late.  Just because it's off-peak doesn't mean that folks don't have places to go.  If they're going to be constantly late with some trains, then adjust the schedules accordingly.

I have a question about ticket extension. I am traveling on a weekend but have two tickets, one peak GCT to 125 street, and a off peak fordham to stamford, and heading to new haven, do they charge me $7.25 or I have to pay a surcharge?

If you got the extension on the train it would be $7.25 rounded up to the next $ amount being $8.00 to go from Stamford to NH. 

You also need the difference for the extension for 125 to Fordham.  Unfortunately Fordham is not a station you can extend to so it would have to be Mount Vernon East.  In theory you could be charged $8.00 for that.

Being a one way off peak ticket from GCT to NH is $16.25 you are better off hanging on to what you got and buying a single ticket to avoid any issues.

If you got the extension on the train it would be $7.25 rounded up to the next $ amount being $8.00 to go from Stamford to NH. 

You also need the difference for the extension for 125 to Fordham.  Unfortunately Fordham is not a station you can extend to so it would have to be Mount Vernon East.  In theory you could be charged $8.00 for that.

Being a one way off peak ticket from GCT to NH is $16.25 you are better off hanging on to what you got and buying a single ticket to avoid any issues.

So you can do that?  What if you have a ticket that costs the same but is not for the station you're going to? For example, I have a ticket that I haven't used for Melrose to Fordham.  The price is the same off-peak to go from Melrose to Fleetwood as well, as it is seen as an intermediate trip.  What would happen in that case?  I also have another one from Fleetwood to Woodlawn that I haven't used since I am driven from Southeast Yonkers to the BxM4 express bus at the Woodlawn border, so I have those two tickets that are just sitting there not being used.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

VG8, it's supposed to be a zone to zone calculation. With your Melrose to Fordham vs Melrose to Fleetwood example, some might accept it,some might not. Technically if you are traveling beyond the zones printed on the ticket, we are supposed to charge a ride extention.

VG8, it's supposed to be a zone to zone calculation. With your Melrose to Fordham vs Melrose to Fleetwood example, some might accept it,some might not. Technically if you are traveling beyond the zones printed on the ticket, we are supposed to charge a ride extention.

On the LIRR, the diversion in station fare (for one-way/round-trips) is calculated as the difference between the fare you paid and the fare you would have paid, so if the tickets are the same price, you'd just be cut a step-up for $0.

Edited by lirr42

• 2 weeks later...

Well this one stumped me... I had a few intermediate MNRR tickets from Fleetwood to Woodlawn and vice versa, and decided to take them to a ticket booth in Grand Central to exchange them for a peak ticket and pay the difference.  Upon trying to do that, the clerk told me that wasn't possible because tickets can only be exchanged within 24 hours of purchase.  That is so ridiculous considering that the tickets are valid for two months.  He said that I could however pay the difference on the train but warned me that I should speak to the conductor in advance so that I don't get a hard time, and that the difference would be rounded up to the nearest dollar, so I'll try to use this experiment on Wednesday since I need a peak train out of Grand Central.  Anywho, the question is why would they allow it on the train but not at the ticket booth??

the question is why would they allow it on the train but not at the ticket booth??

It's not allowed on the train, hence the reason the ticket seller said to speak with the conductor first.

I hate when passengers are told stuff like this.  The problems get pawned off on us and because you are given misleading information it's now our fault because "the guy at the window said...".

The only thing that can be done on the train is use one of you Woodlawn to Fleetwood tickets and get a ride extension from GCT to Woodlawn and pay the $9.  But then again, the guy at the window could have just told you and sold you the same thing.

The reason behind the 24 hours exchange policy is it's a from of revenue control.  The powers to be figure that the general rider is going to buy tickets as needed.  With that said, if a passenger get's on at Woodlawn to go to Fleetwood, there is a chance that the ticket will not be collected due to the conditions on the train.  Now they can't exchange it for something else because it's too late. 

As far as the tickets being able to be refunded with in 60 days, you loose $10.00 on the surcharge.  So if you have 3 of those intermediate tickets valued at $9 total, you're refund is a moot point.

Edited by Truckie

It's not allowed on the train, hence the reason the ticket seller said to speak with the conductor first.

I hate when passengers are told stuff like this.  The problems get pawned off on us and because you are given misleading information it's now our fault because "the guy at the window said...".

The only thing that can be done on the train is use one of you Woodlawn to Fleetwood tickets and get a ride extension from GCT to Woodlawn and pay the $9.  But then again, the guy at the window could have just told you and sold you the same thing.

The reason behind the 24 hours exchange policy is it's a from of revenue control.  The powers to be figure that the general rider is going to buy tickets as needed.  With that said, if a passenger get's on at Woodlawn to go to Fleetwood, there is a chance that the ticket will not be collected due to the conditions on the train.  Now they can't exchange it for something else because it's too late. 

As far as the tickets being able to be refunded with in 60 days, you loose $10.00 on the surcharge.  So if you have 3 of those intermediate tickets valued at $9 total, you're refund is a moot point.

That was my thinking exactly...

Anywho, yeah I generally only buy them as needed, usually a week in advance but now I get picked up and driven directly to the express bus at the Woodlawn/Yonkers border as opposed to and from the Metro-North station, so I don't want those tickets to go to waste, and I knew about the $10.00 surcharge, hence why I thought they could be exchanged.  I think it's preposterous to allow you keep your tickets for two months but not be able to exchange them, considering that they already have your money.  In any event what I will probably do is just take the loss and write the tickets off as a travel expense towards my side business since I still had to commute to and from my session before the pick up and had costs associated with that.

i was reading the press release on the mta website. I noticed that is special concert at Yankee stadium. There seem to error in typo from layout on the map. How does the Harlem and New Haven get to Yankee stadium?

Edited by pjbr40

i was reading the press release on the mta website. I noticed that is special concert at Yankee stadium. There seem to error in typo from layout on the map. How does the Harlem and New Haven get to Yankee stadium?

There's a U shaped track in Mott Haven that allows NH and Harkem line trains to get to Yankee Stadium. This is North of the junction where the Hudson and NH and Harlem lines spilt.

There had been direct service from the Harlem and New Haven Lines to Yankee Stadium events for the last three or four years (since the station opened).  This service has taken place during baseball, football, hockey games and numerous concerts that have taken place there.

Well my Metro-North train sure had a lot of NYPD cops floating about.  Took an off-peak from Riverdale and when the train arrived at Spuyten Duyvil, I was surprised to see so many cops on it.  I don't know if they were coming from somewhere or what but they just chatted and moved from car to car.  Didn't seem like anything was up. They all got off at Grand Central.