LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay Everyone help me, what is the best chance to catch an M3 on the Hudson Line?

During rush hour, they also DH from CH yard to GCT in the late afternoon if you want to take a picture of one on the Hudson line.

Riding is tricky because not every single MU run goes to CH in the PM rush, good thing GCT shows departures long before the train actually departs. Best thing to do is to check all the Hudson line departures in the PM rush until you find a M3, then you buy a ticket for that train at the TVM and then get on and ride.

Edited by trainfan22

During rush hour, they also DH from CH yard to GCT in the late afternoon if you want to take a picture of one on the Hudson line.

Riding is tricky because not every single MU run goes to CH in the PM rush, good thing GCT shows departures long before the train actually departs. Best thing to do is to check all the Hudson line departures in the PM rush until you find a M3, then you buy a ticket for that train at the TVM and then get on and ride.

do any M3's stop at Yonkers?

Notice that he said "We will deliver you to the doorstep." He didn't say anything about getting you home.

Yep i agree. i noticed that people have all day to get to sporting event. They can handle that stuff. The president of both  LIRR and NJT don't realized that people want to leave at the same time. That where they all failed. One question : Does LIRR have some space in the area nearby to store train?

Let's suppose a train holds 1,000 (including standees.) Their plan was to move 21,000. (Yes, more showed up than expected.) That's roughly 21 trains. Running time between Belmont and Jamaica is 16 minutes. I think they should have operated trains as a shuttle between Belmont and Jamaica and run deadhead back to Belmont. Also, there should have been free transfers to the (E) and (J) at Jamaica.

If you decided to drive would things be any better? 

Any time a large event ends it's a logistical nightmare trying to get everyone out.  Whether it be by train, or by car. 

I know trying to leave a sporting event, concert etc, I've had to wait an hour just to get out of the parking lot, let alone another hour to get far enough down the road that I can drive faster than I can walk.  When this happens the last thing I think about is the DOT commissioner should add lanes in anticipation of this.

The problem is anytime anyone is under schedule beyond their control, they get annoyed when they can't get where they want to be quick enough.

The issue is that the condition of the Belmont Spur is so terrible that what trains you do run out of there have to crawl like a snail. MTA should still be maintaining the branch, and it might be good for it to upgrade the tracks and electrical infrastructure and whatnot, but since 2010 that's no longer its responsibility.

The issue is that the condition of the Belmont Spur is so terrible that what trains you do run out of there have to crawl like a snail. MTA should still be maintaining the branch, and it might be good for it to upgrade the tracks and electrical infrastructure and whatnot, but since 2010 that's no longer its responsibility.

So who is responsible for maintaining the spur?

AFAIK there isn't any runs on the Hudson line that uses the M3s most of the time. Only on the Harlem line is where you see a M3 on certain runs 99 percent of the time, usually its the runs that use 10 car trains.

There are a few. I think 761 is an M3 train.

Yep i agree. i noticed that people have all day to get to sporting event. They can handle that stuff. The president of both  LIRR and NJT don't realized that people want to leave at the same time. That where they all failed.

They are very well aware that everybody might not leave at the same time.  But the mere knowledge of something does not mean that accomplishing that thing practical or even possible.

Let's suppose a train holds 1,000 (including standees.) Their plan was to move 21,000. (Yes, more showed up than expected.) That's roughly 21 trains. Running time between Belmont and Jamaica is 16 minutes. I think they should have operated trains as a shuttle between Belmont and Jamaica and run deadhead back to Belmont. Also, there should have been free transfers to the (E) and (J) at Jamaica.

Train capacity, or the lack of trains, was not an issue.  At 9pm on a Saturday evening there are more than enough M7's lying around.  You can only go 5 miles per hour on the spur, so the big issue is the fact that it takes some time to get trains out of the racetrack station and onto the mainline, and to get equipment trains from the mainline back into the racetrack station.

So who is responsible for maintaining the spur?

The Belmont Park station, spur, and trains exist at the pleasure of the NYRA.  They are the ones that are free to spend as much (or as little) on infrastructure or service improvements as they want.  The LIRR has made it clear they have no desire at this point in time in doing anything with Belmont other than using it as a fancy MoW siding.  They're not going to spend a dime on it, and it would be unreasonable to expect them to do so.

Edited by lirr42

AFAIK there isn't any runs on the Hudson line that uses the M3s most of the time. Only on the Harlem line is where you see a M3 on certain runs 99 percent of the time, usually its the runs that use 10 car trains.

The 3:19 train to N. White Plains is always an M3

NWP is on the Harlem Line. The OP was inquiring what Hudson Line trains are regularly M3's.

Speaking of cars on the Hudson Line, when will the newest cars be up for an overhaul? Those seats are looking pretty nasty these days.   Just looks like your average use but still.  I never sit on the peak trains unless it's a light load in the summer time or off-peak, but last week I got on a train from Riverdale to Grand Central... Seats could use some hot soap and water... Everything else was clean though.

I was on train 1207 out of Grand Central on Monday which was 10-Car train. Since it goes local to Harrison, no station could accomodate the first two cars through its entire trip. Is this a normal occurance? It was definitely needed as the train was modestly crowded 10 minutes prior to depature.

I was on train 1207 out of Grand Central on Monday which was 10-Car train. Since it goes local to Harrison, no station could accomodate the first two cars through its entire trip. Is this a normal occurance? It was definitely needed as the train was modestly crowded 10 minutes prior to depature.

I don't know if it's a normal occurrence for this specific train but it is normal for there to be trains longer than the majority of the stations that the train stops at.

lol... This morning I took Metro-North in, and as we were going along, suddenly, a gush of water started coming into the car due to the huge amount of rain outside. The water came in right near the electronic signage that shows the destination of the train and its stops near the exit doors. The amount of the water was alarming, and something I had never seen before on any Metro-North train.  The electronic signs were actually turned off before we reached the Harlem-125th street stop, then turned on again and seemed to be working fine. I imagine other cars may have suffered a similar problem. I just found it funny that such expensive cars would have water coming into them.  These were the older cars either, but the newer cars on the Hudson Line.   <_<

I don't know if it's a normal occurrence for this specific train but it is normal for there to be trains longer than the majority of the stations that the train stops at.

Yeah I know... And what happens with the extra cars that aren't filled? I've noticed this with the New Haven cars that stop at the Fordham station. You can't get on in the first two cars.  Kind of sucks because those trains fill up and then finding a seat can become a PITA.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Yeah I know... And what happens with the extra cars that aren't filled? I've noticed this with the New Haven cars that stop at the Fordham station. You can't get on in the first two cars.  Kind of sucks because those trains fill up and then finding a seat can become a PITA.

People are portable, all you have to do is walk up.

People are portable, all you have to do is walk up.

That is very difficult for some to do.

It amazes me to see people crowd up in one car of the train (because that's the first car the come to) instead of walking a few more steps to a mostly empty car.

Edited by Truckie