LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

That is very difficult for some to do.

It amazes me to see people crowd up in one car of the train (because that's the first car the come to) instead of walking a few more steps to a mostly empty car.

I don't see how this applies to the situation at Fordham though... The first two cars don't stop at the platform, so are those cars locked off or what is the story with them?  Of course you can walk up to them once you get on provided that the doors to those two cars are unlocked... Why is that set up at Fordham anyway?  Too many cars? Platform looks long enough to fit all of the cars from what I usually see but I'm not sure.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is very difficult for some to do.

It amazes me to see people crowd up in one car of the train (because that's the first car the come to) instead of walking a few more steps to a mostly empty car.

Crowders... can't stand them.... It's my biggest peeve riding commuter rails.... This isn't done near as much on the buses & subways....

The people that subconsciously have to be around *someone* else.... Uneasiness of loneliness/isolation (which most extraverts are.... which most people are [extraverts])......

I know for a fact that people do this, because there have been times I've actually gotten up from an area (where I was all alone), to have someone sit in an adjacent row, or directly behind/in front of me - and have had

- that person either suck their teeth [this was on NJT - changed cars after a couple ppl got on @ princeton - whole damn car was empty, and the group decides to sit right behind me.... one chick sucked her teeth, and I didn't give a rats ass because that definitely didn't deter me from wanting to stay around them...

- give me a dirty look [on the "big 3", had this happen on LIRR, MNRR, and NJT]

- spark up a conversation just as I'm getting up [had this happen on the LIRR on multiple occasions, and MNRR once (out of stamford)].... Hell, just recently, on the LIRR, I had a guy literally ask me why am I picking my things up & moving..... I flat out said "I don't wanna be bothered"....

Now I don't expect to have a (rail) car to myself for an entire ride - But when people board a car that I'm on & that car is either literally or relatively empty, and you sit around me, that's when my suspicions raise.... If I want to sit in an area of a car that's already occupied by someone, I respect that person's space (even give them a nod at time, I know what's up) & find some other isolated area to sit in (if one exists at the time)..... Even though at the beginning & at the end of the day, it's public transportation regardless....

Crowders... can't stand them.... It's my biggest peeve riding commuter rails.... This isn't done near as much on the buses & subways....

The people that subconsciously have to be around *someone* else.... Uneasiness of loneliness/isolation (which most extraverts are.... which most people are [extraverts])......

I know for a fact that people do this, because there have been times I've actually gotten up from an area (where I was all alone), to have someone sit in an adjacent row, or directly behind/in front of me - and have had

- that person either suck their teeth [this was on NJT - changed cars after a couple ppl got on @ princeton - whole damn car was empty, and the group decides to sit right behind me.... one chick sucked her teeth, and I didn't give a rats ass because that definitely didn't deter me from wanting to stay around them...

- give me a dirty look [on the "big 3", had this happen on LIRR, MNRR, and NJT]

- spark up a conversation just as I'm getting up [had this happen on the LIRR on multiple occasions, and MNRR once (out of stamford)].... Hell, just recently, on the LIRR, I had a guy literally ask me why am I picking my things up & moving..... I flat out said "I don't wanna be bothered"....

Now I don't expect to have a (rail) car to myself for an entire ride - But when people board a car that I'm on & that car is either literally or relatively empty, and you sit around me, that's when my suspicions raise.... If I want to sit in an area of a car that's already occupied by someone, I respect that person's space (even give them a nod at time, I know what's up) & find some other isolated area to sit in (if one exists at the time)..... Even though at the beginning & at the end of the day, it's public transportation regardless....

LOL... I've had that happen on the express bus a few times... Happened today in fact on the BxM1 coming home... I was the only on in the back and then this guy gets on with his brat and the damn kid comes running to the back.  Then he has to sit behind me and start kicking my chair.  I said f*ck it this is my my normal spot and I'm not moving, so I pushed back on my chair to send the message, then I turned around and gave him the look.  Eventually I had to turn to the father and say something before I exploded because it was like this kid was not getting the hint.  The father apologized and had the kid immediately move to the other side. I was about to say to him why in the hell did he come all the way to the back when so many seats were open, but I refrained because for whatever reason kids love coming all the way to the back no matter how many seats are open.  Really annoying. I sit in the back on purpose to have some space to myself, and usually it's women on the express buses so they sit in the front and works out just fine like that.

I've had a few times on the BxM2 in the morning where me and another chick were so pissed because we had our regular spots in the back and this dude comes all the way in the back crowding us up.  We both gave him the look like dude what the f*ck is wrong with you and moved accordingly. I mean if it's crowded I can understand, but I think some people really don't get it.  They see no problem with coming and getting right on top of you.  Yes, it's a public space, but everyone likes to have their personal space where possible.  He looked at us like he couldn't believe that we were moving as if his behavior was completely normal. Smh

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

LOL... I've had that happen on the express bus a few times... Happened today in fact on the BxM1 coming home... I was the only on in the back and then this guy gets on with his brat and the damn kid comes running to the back.  Then he has to sit behind me and start kicking my chair.  I said f*ck it this is my my normal spot and I'm not moving, so I pushed back on my chair to send the message, then I turned around and gave him the look.  Eventually I had to turn to the father and say something before I exploded because it was like this kid was not getting the hint.  The father apologized and had the kid immediately move to the other side. I was about to say to him why in the hell did he come all the way to the back when so many seats were open, but I refrained because for whatever reason kids love coming all the way to the back no matter how many seats are open.  Really annoying. I sit in the back on purpose to have some space to myself, and usually it's women on the express buses so they sit in the front and works out just fine like that.

I've had a few times on the BxM2 in the morning where me and another chick were so pissed because we had our regular spots in the back and this dude comes all the way in the back crowding us up.  We both gave him the look like dude what the f*ck is wrong with you and moved accordingly. I mean if it's crowded I can understand, but I think some people really don't get it.  They see no problem with coming and getting right on top of you.  Yes, it's a public space, but everyone likes to have their personal space where possible.  He looked at us like he couldn't believe that we were moving as if his behavior was completely normal. Smh

My problem isn't so much that people got to where I like to sit before I do (I can deal with that), but it is the people that intentionally sit around me when I'm all by myself..... Back in the day, commuters used to read their newspapers & leave it on the seat for the next commuter when he/she gets off..... Now commuters are on their phones (talking or texting), on their laptops/tablets, watching movies on their portable viewer or w/e. or talking to other "regulars" far more often then when they did back in the day....

My point? Your average ride on a commuter rail (ughk, especially the LIRR) has gotten more boisterous.

(I'm not even talking about the drunkards that ride when they do .... that shit is on a whole 'nother level, and is to be expected)

Case in point, about 2 mos. or so ago, there was some red headed kook that was talking to herself all loud - this is around 5:40 on a train @ Jamaica, mind you.... One lady completely flipped the f*ck out (and I don't blame her... although I think she was being ridiculous with her demands).... She wanted that person not only kicked off the train at the next stop (which was hillside facility), but fined, arrested, and a reimbursement of the cost of her ticket (which was from Penn to Ronkonkoma off peak, w/e that amt. is)..... The both of them argued for a hot minute, until two c/r's came, told the redhead to keep it quiet.... But the demanding lady was still bitching (because the redhead was still talking to herself, although in a lower voice), and it got to a point where she became aggressive (I thought they were gonna end up fighting)...

....Since I get off at Mineola, and the both of them remained on, who knows wtf happened afterwards.....

[the demanding chick (brunette) had some nice knockers though, but that's besides the point... lol...]

Edited by B35 via Church

My problem isn't so much that people got to where I like to sit before I do (I can deal with that), but it is the people that intentionally sit around me when I'm all by myself..... Back in the day, commuters used to read their newspapers & leave it on the seat for the next commuter when he/she gets off..... Now commuters are on their phones (talking or texting), on their laptops/tablets, watching movies on their portable viewer or w/e. or talking to other "regulars" far more often then when they did back in the day....

My point? Your average ride on a commuter rail (ughk, especially the LIRR) has gotten more boisterous.

(I'm not even talking about the drunkards that ride when they do .... that shit is on a whole 'nother level, and is to be expected)

Case in point, about 2 mos. or so ago, there was some red headed kook that was talking to herself all loud - this is around 5:40 on a train @ Jamaica, mind you.... One lady completely flipped the f*ck out (and I don't blame her... although I think she was being ridiculous with her demands).... She wanted that person not only kicked off the train at the next stop (which was hillside facility), but fined, arrested, and a reimbursement of the cost of her ticket (which was from Penn to Ronkonkoma off peak, w/e that amt. is)..... The both of them argued for a hot minute, until two c/r's came, told the redhead to keep it quiet.... But the demanding lady was still bitching (because the redhead was still talking to herself, although in a lower voice), and it got to a point where she became aggressive (I thought they were gonna end up fighting)...

....Since I get off at Mineola, and the both of them remained on, who knows wtf happened afterwards.....

[the demanding chick (brunette) had some nice knockers though, but that's besides the point... lol...]

Don't they have quiet cars on the LIRR? I thought they also exist on the MNRR trains too but I'm not sure.  I usually don't have a problem on MNRR trains because if I ride during peak times from Riverdale, I usually just stand rather than squeeze myself next to someone, and after Marble Hill, there aren't many people getting on.  Off-peak, same thing, so once I pick a seat I usually have plenty of room to myself to relax or pick an area that's quiet.  The folks on the Hudson Line are generally quiet even during the weekends from what I've seen.  The worst line IMO is probably the New Haven line just because of the stops that it makes. Mount Vernon East comes to mind with the rowdy crowd, as well as Fordham.  The Harlem Line can be bad as well during off-peak times.  The peak trains to Crestwood are quiet though. The only time I got annoyed was when I was heading to a tutoring session on the Harlem Line in Westchester, and this middle aged guy looked at me as if to say welcome to the club, as if he knew that I wasn't a regular, and I gave him a look like WTF are you looking at me for? Get lost. lol I don't like being bothered when I'm riding.  That's my personal time to relax and not be disturbed.  Folks should learn how to respect that and find something to do with themselves instead of being obnoxious.  There was this one guy on the Hudson Line one morning a while ago that was being so obnoxious. He kept looking at this lady so hard and constantly "clearing his throat" to be a prick, as if to purposely get her attention and be annoying because apparently he didn't want her sitting near him.  I said to myself she needs to move because he is such a d*ck. Once a seat opened up, she did just that.

Don't they have quiet cars on the LIRR? I thought they also exist on the MNRR trains too but I'm not sure.  I usually don't have a problem on MNRR trains because if I ride during peak times from Riverdale, I usually just stand rather than squeeze myself next to someone, and after Marble Hill, there aren't many people getting on.  Off-peak, same thing, so once I pick a seat I usually have plenty of room to myself to relax or pick an area that's quiet.  The folks on the Hudson Line are generally quiet even during the weekends from what I've seen.  The worst line IMO is probably the New Haven line just because of the stops that it makes. Mount Vernon East comes to mind with the rowdy crowd, as well as Fordham.  The Harlem Line can be bad as well during off-peak times.  The peak trains to Crestwood are quiet though. The only time I got annoyed was when I was heading to a tutoring session on the Harlem Line in Westchester, and this middle aged guy looked at me as if to say welcome to the club, as if he knew that I wasn't a regular, and I gave him a look like WTF are you looking at me for? Get lost. lol I don't like being bothered when I'm riding.  That's my personal time to relax and not be disturbed.  Folks should learn how to respect that and find something to do with themselves instead of being obnoxious.  There was this one guy on the Hudson Line one morning a while ago that was being so obnoxious. He kept looking at this lady so hard and constantly "clearing his throat" to be a prick, as if to purposely get her attention and be annoying because apparently he didn't want her sitting near him.  I said to myself she needs to move because he is such a d*ck. Once a seat opened up, she did just that.

I have seen them on Metro North before.

I like to read al these kinds of thread. With the above posting on respecting others while cars are empty or the crowds is too rowdy. Anyway, I ride NJT a lot. There was one time my friend and I was riding back home during the rush hour. The whole car was quiet. This was before the quiet car was born. Anyway, all the passenger respected each other for peace and quiet after a hard day at work. You can hear the bogie hitting the rail and that is it. As of no where a mexican dude decided to take his cell phone out and started talking like he the only one have to do so. All of us was so pissed. Lucky, my friend went to the conductor who happen to be friend with her and told her in the other car to get him to be quiet. When the conductor walk up to the noisy mexican and had a few words, the whole car was back to quiet . I guess he learned his lesson on how to respect other in that car. 

I like to read al these kinds of thread. With the above posting on respecting others while cars are empty or the crowds is too rowdy. Anyway, I ride NJT a lot. There was one time my friend and I was riding back home during the rush hour. The whole car was quiet. This was before the quiet car was born. Anyway, all the passenger respected each other for peace and quiet after a hard day at work. You can hear the bogie hitting the rail and that is it. As of no where a mexican dude decided to take his cell phone out and started talking like he the only one have to do so. All of us was so pissed. Lucky, my friend went to the conductor who happen to be friend with her and told her in the other car to get him to be quiet. When the conductor walk up to the noisy mexican and had a few words, the whole car was back to quiet . I guess he learned his lesson on how to respect other in that car. 

lol... This is typical of folks that aren't regular riders.  Unfortunately they aren't aware of the norm and think that it's okay to just yap the entire time.  They're so wrapped up in their own world that they don't take the time to check out the environment and see what everyone else is doing.  If you don't see people yapping, then that probably means that you also shut up out of respect for everyone else. It's kind of like the people that take out their cell phones and yack in the middle of a movie... <_<

Metro North has quiet cars during peak periods only.  The quiet car is always the north (or east) most car.

The LIRR rule on quiet cars is: westernmost car, peak trains only, Brooklyn/Penn trains only, electric trains only.

Although I once had a crew announce that the last car was the quiet car on #564, the PM Oyster Bay DM.

Okay Everyone help me, what is the best chance to catch an M3 on the Hudson Line?

During rush hour, they also DH from CH yard to GCT in the late afternoon if you want to take a picture of one on the Hudson line.

Riding is tricky because not every single MU run goes to CH in the PM rush, good thing GCT shows departures long before the train actually departs. Best thing to do is to check all the Hudson line departures in the PM rush until you find a M3, then you buy a ticket for that train at the TVM and then get on and ride.

AFAIK there isn't any runs on the Hudson line that uses the M3s most of the time. Only on the Harlem line is where you see a M3 on certain runs 99 percent of the time, usually its the runs that use 10 car trains.

For those that may be particularly interested in which LIRR trains operate with M3's, it appears to be very random and without pattern.

Check this out for more:

http://www.thelirrtoday.com/2014/06/which-lirr-trains-run-with-m3-equipment.html

That link is great! I remember hearing that there's a run on the Ronkonkma branch that uses M3s most of the time in the PM Rush, cause they seat more people than the M7s. That's the only time I ever heard of a LIRR run using the M3s most of the time, cause like the link said the assignments are pretty random.

• 1 month later...

This question is for Truckie:

I notice you have an (MTA) badge under your profile pic when you do a post and I see it's an award for train conductor. How do you get it, and is there one available for bus operators (like Lakeland?)

This question is for Truckie:

I notice you have an (MTA) badge under your profile pic when you do a post and I see it's an award for train conductor. How do you get it, and is there one available for bus operators (like Lakeland?)

Was put there by the admin.

• 2 months later...

Anyone know why Metro-North has been switching to buses on the New Canaan branch every single midday?

One would think CT residents would be quite upset by now, especially since the MTA doesn't put this on the planned service change section on their website. People can and do misinterpret track work as a stealth service cut nowadays, especially those folks...

Edited by paulrivera

Well, this is fun...

Ronkonkoma Branch Customers
Delays  Posted: 10/16/2014  6:28PM 

LIRR is experiencing delays of 20-30 min in both directions thru Queens Village due to a signal problem in the area. Oyster Bay, Pt Jeff, Ronkonkoma & Hempstead branches are affected. There are also 30-60 min e/b delays east of Hicksville. Expect at least 20 planned canceled trains during the PM Rush. Westbound service is restored on the Hempstead Br. Customers are advised to use alternate branches. Cancellations & scattered delays are occurring on the Pt Wash, Babylon & Montauk branches. LIRR forces are working to repair the signal problem. The following trains are cancelled due to signal problem near Queens Village.

Eastbound:

The 5:41PM train from Penn due Ronkonkoma at 6:49PM is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 5:34PM train from Penn due Ronkonkoma at 7:11PM.

The 6:04PM train from Atlantic Terminal due in Ronkonkoma at 7:27PM is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 6:21PM train from Penn to Ronkonkoma scheduled to stop at Jamaica at 6:41 PM.

The 6:53PM train from Penn due Ronkonkoma at 8:12PM canceled.

Westbound:

The 6:25PM train from Farmingdale due Penn at 7:22PM is canceled.

The 7:00PM train from Farmingdale due Penn at 7:56PM is canceled.

Delays  Posted: 10/16/2014  4:30PM 

The 4:09PM train from Penn due Farmingdale at 5:04PM is canceled due to a signal problem near Queens Village.         

Just a quick question, at the Hastings On Hudson Train station, there seems to be a unused severed track that comes out from beneath the station to a wide empty yard near the hudson river, why is this? Did there used to be a junction there that was cut off to allow the station to be built?

Also, From Hastings Station to Yonkers Station, there is a complete set of buried or visible tracks near the main route. Why is this? 

an adventure on the LIRR went like this:

I rode the Lakeland Bus to Port Authority, then walked to Penn Station to get to the LIRR for a trip to Lynbrook (Trainland). I took a train to Jamaica hoping to transfer to a train to Lynbrook (first mistake). a train from Penn Station came half an hour later, an express to Babylon with the first stop being Lynbrook. Fortune smiles. After getting off at Lynbrook, I start the 5 minute walk to Trainland. My journey is complete, only to find out, upon reaching the front door, the store is closed....for the day

Only thing to go right after that was the return trip to New York being right there upon getting back to the station

• 1 month later...

A random thought:

A man who had a part in getting me into the model railroad/rail fan industry told me how he used to go into Grand Central Terminal at the time of the New York Central's 20th Century Limited during the 1960s when I imagine Grand Central was at its peak. He said he used to feel so intimidated when he walked through the terminal being he was basically the only black kid walking through because lots of wealthy people would ride the 20th Century.

A random thought:

A man who had a part in getting me into the model railroad/rail fan industry told me how he used to go into Grand Central Terminal at the time of the New York Central's 20th Century Limited during the 1960s when I imagine Grand Central was at its peak. He said he used to feel so intimidated when he walked through the terminal being he was basically the only black kid walking through because lots of wealthy people would ride the 20th Century.

Still kind of true today... Most MNRR riders are quite affluent.