LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

10 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Why does the Metro North's "intermediate" travel fares include the Bronx, but LIRR only includes Nassau and Suffolk in their "Local Travel" fares, shouldn't they at least include zone 3?

Obviously to deter ridership in Queens.  They should increase the intermediate fare in the Bronx. Far too low... Most people in Riverdale ride to and from Grand Central so we don't travel to the Bronx like that.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Obviously to deter ridership in Queens.  They should increase the intermediate fare in the Bronx. Far too low... Most people in Riverdale ride to and from Grand Central so we don't travel to the Bronx like that.

I mean between Bronx and Westchester. For example, Fordham to White Plains is $4, which is reasonable compared to say Jamaica to Mineola/Hempstead/Freeport or Hicksville

9 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

I mean between the Bronx and Westchester. For example, Fordham to White Plains is $4, which is reasonable compared to say Jamaica to Mineola/Hempstead/Freeport or Hicksville

Same thing.  They don't want the ridership from Queens.  Metro-North is far more accommodating in that regard.  The only exception to that are the upper class areas of Queens like Douglaston, Little Neck and maybe Forest Hills.  Douglaston and Little Neck get good LIRR service.  Douglaston and Little Neck are ritzy areas and right on the border of Long Island so I suppose they treat them almost like they're Long Island.  Similar to the way Metro-North treats Riverdale.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

18 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Same thing.  They don't want the ridership from Queens.  Metro-North is far more accommodating in that regard.  The only exception to that are the upper class areas of Queens like Douglaston, Little Neck and maybe Forest Hills.  Douglaston and Little Neck get good LIRR service.  Douglaston and Little Neck are ritzy areas and right on the border of Long Island so I suppose they treat them almost like they're Long Island.  Similar to the way Metro-North treats Riverdale.  

Yeah but in a place that doesn't have a subway, you shouldn't be paying a crazy amount just to go a couple of stops. This is a public service, and therefore should not be trying to out price communities. Why do you think the freedom ticket has been so heavily pushed for?

1 minute ago, IAlam said:

Yeah but in a place that doesn't have a subway, you shouldn't be paying a crazy amount just to go a couple of stops. This is a public service, and therefore should not be trying to out price communities. Why do you think the freedom ticket has been so heavily pushed for?

I know that. I'm just saying that this is the way that the LIRR thinks and functions.  Their prices are VERY high, their trains are dated and beat up and their service is a joke compared to Metro-North.  

21 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I mean between Bronx and Westchester. For example, Fordham to White Plains is $4, which is reasonable compared to say Jamaica to Mineola/Hempstead/Freeport or Hicksville

It costs $5.75-$6 off-peak to travel between Jamaica and Mineola/Hempstead/Freeport and Hicksville depending on the zone. That's pretty reasonable when compared to the $7.50 it costs to travel between Jamaica and Penn or Atlantic Terminal.

14 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

It costs $5.75-$6 off-peak to travel between Jamaica and Mineola/Hempstead/Freeport and Hicksville depending on the zone. That's pretty reasonable when compared to the $7.50 it costs to travel between Jamaica and Penn or Atlantic Terminal.

Off-peak... Peak prices are around $8.00 versus $4.00 intermediate fare at all times.  

5 hours ago, NY1635 said:

Yeah, that is pretty ridiculous. But on Metro North between Grand Central and 125th St, it's $8 peak, $6 off peak

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Off-peak... Peak prices are around $8.00 versus $4.00 intermediate fare at all times.  

Right.

Peak / Off Peak

Jamaica - Mineola/Hempstead/Freeport = $8 / $5.75

Jamaica - Hicksville/Wantagh/Massepequa/Long Beach = $9.50 / $7 

Jamaica - Babylon/Deer Park/Huntington = $11.75/ $8.50 

19 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Yeah, that is pretty ridiculous. But on Metro North between Grand Central and 125th St, it's $8 peak, $6 off peak

Right.

Peak / Off Peak

Jamaica - Mineola/Hempstead/Freeport = $8 / $5.75

Jamaica - Hicksville/Wantagh/Massepequa/Long Beach = $9.50 / $7 

Jamaica - Babylon/Deer Park/Huntington = $11.75/ $8.50 

I chalk this up to the LIRR taking advantage of LI's willful ignorance about the city. Jamaica is a major transfer point on the LIRR, more so than the (E)(J)(Z) right below Archer Avenue.

Edited by NY1635

The LIRR is a rip-off, compared to MNRR....

10 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

That's by design.... As previously mentioned, the same logic applies to charging people 10.25 peak/7.50 off-peak b/w Jamaica & (any of the Brooklyn LIRR stations)...

That is done as a means of deterring intra-city commuters from benefitting from the speed that the RR provides over the subway and/or bus.... City riders & suburban riders are definitely being pitted against each other with how the RR network is priced (and operated) in this city..... Suburbanites have no qualms in riding the subway though.... For all the complaints that are made regarding the influx of taxi services in Manhattan (specifically), it could be far worse.... Just imagine if suburbanites entering/leaving the city shunned the subways & buses wholesale (well the latter, they don't do much of anyway, so they're about already halfway there with that... LOL ! )......

10 hours ago, NY1635 said:

I chalk this up to the LIRR taking advantage of LI's willful ignorance about the city. Jamaica is a major transfer point on the LIRR, more so than the (E)(J)(Z) right below Archer Avenue.

Yeah, including those transferring between the LIRR & the subway.....

22 hours ago, Lance said:

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but they've removed the chimes that play before the automated announcements on the M8s.

Every time I've been on an M8 it feels like everything is done Manually, no announcements, no displays, Who knows maybe the C/R's are closing the doors be hand now.

On February 22, 2018 at 4:51 PM, Lance said:

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but they've removed the chimes that play before the automated announcements on the M8s.

This has gone on for a year on the M7a, and has just started on the M8. 

Modification has been coinciding with Security Camera installation. 

Edited by R42N

19 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The LIRR is a rip-off, compared to MNRR....

That's by design.... As previously mentioned, the same logic applies to charging people 10.25 peak/7.50 off-peak b/w Jamaica & (any of the Brooklyn LIRR stations)...

That is done as a means of deterring intra-city commuters from benefitting from the speed that the RR provides over the subway and/or bus.... City riders & suburban riders are definitely being pitted against each other with how the RR network is priced (and operated) in this city..... Suburbanites have no qualms in riding the subway though.... For all the complaints that are made regarding the influx of taxi services in Manhattan (specifically), it could be far worse.... Just imagine if suburbanites entering/leaving the city shunned the subways & buses wholesale (well the latter, they don't do much of anyway, so they're about already halfway there with that... LOL ! )......

Yeah, including those transferring between the LIRR & the subway.....

To be fair, there is a large sea of humanity that would rather walk from Midtown to Penn rather than take the (E) .

Even though it was off peak (Early afternoon) a NJT train departed from the LIRR side of NYP, my LIRR Babylon Train and and an NJT NEC train was loading passengers on the same platform, pretty cool to see. I thought NJT trains departing from the LIRR side of NYP only happens during rush hour, its quite inconvenient for the NJT riders as they have to run from one side of the station to another. Whenever I ride NJT out of NYP I never get an train that departs from the LIRR side, I want to one day for the experience though :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

What are some of the sections of the LIRR or Metro North where the trains get some serious speed?

MNR New Haven expresses used to go 90 between New Rochelle and Harrison, but it was lowered to 80 in recent years.

LIRR Ronkoma branch has portions where trains hit 80. I was on a LIRR train that hit 72 between Woodside and Forest Hills.

Not LIRR or MNR, I know, but NJT can hit 100 on the NEC when running ALP46+bilevels. 

For LIRR, I’d also suggest taking any express along the Babylon. They can (sans traffic) get up there, and are especially fun since you’re on a viaduct. 

Edited by RR503

3 hours ago, RR503 said:

Not LIRR or MNR, I know, but NJT can hit 100 on the NEC when running ALP46+bilevels. 

For LIRR, I’d also suggest taking any express along the Babylon. They can (sans traffic) get up there, and are especially fun since you’re on a viaduct. 

The comet cars + ALP 46 are allowed to run 100 MPH as well. The 3900 NEC express runs hit 90+ on the express portion, the 2:59 out of NYP is one of those express trains, after Newark Penn the train goes nonstop to New Brunswick, train went as high as 93 MPH several times when I rode it :D  

So I was walking past Flushing yesterday and they opened the new staircases. While the elevators look like they're in place it seems that they aren't ready yet. The middle area also seems like it needs a lot of work. But the station is starting to take shape and it looks really nice, and people on the sidewalk are beginning to notice. I walked past the station twice yesterday and on both occasions heard people talking about it. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, NY1635 said:

Was Hicksville really supposed to be the original location for an intermodal center?

I can't find it right now, but when the MTCA was created (predecessor to MTA) they wanted to basically ditch all the freight and run subway-style trains every ten minutes from Roosevelt Field to Grand Central.