LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight, I rode the LIRR from NYP to Jamaica only because I never been on a Commuter rail train during a snowstorm. My train was delayed a bit around Sunnyside yard due to switch problems at Woodside, I was worried it would be a long delay but it wasn't too bad. A Dual Mode running in E Mode went pass my train and man the 3rd rail arcing from the Locomotives was epic. Also around Jamaica the switches have fire shooting out of them to keep the switches from freezing, I never seen that in person so it was pretty cool to see. My Babylon train was 20 mins late when it got to Jamaica, at the time W/B service was suspended due to switch trouble and the subway was cross honoring.

It wasn't that bad for me luckily, but other LIRR riders had a rough commute tonight, just on go Twitter and type in LIRR in the search bar.

Metro-North will close three ticket offices at three train stations along the Harlem Line. These closings will result in the abolishment of three ticket seller positions and the associated utilities costs for these locations. The ticket office locations identified for closure are Mount Vernon

West, Scarsdale and Brewster.

Surprised that no big service cuts have been announced yet, especially since I have heard the budget is more dire right now compared to 2010.

If that is the case, say goodbye to weekend Greenport service, all off-peak West Hempstead service, and so on...

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:54 AM, Union Tpke said:

Metro-North will close three ticket offices at three train stations along the Harlem Line. These closings will result in the abolishment of three ticket seller positions and the associated utilities costs for these locations. The ticket office locations identified for closure are Mount Vernon

West, Scarsdale and Brewster.

They have been trying to close these ticket offices for years.

3 hours ago, Truckie said:

They have been trying to close these ticket offices for years.

The only place they need them is maybe Grand Central. Otherwise they’re a waste, and dealing with some of the tellers is equally a waste. With e-ticket and the machines, I may use them once a year tops. I do see people getting monthly tickets there. They must be afraid to use the machines. I have always bought monthly passes from the machines. It’s faster anyway.

20 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The only place they need them is maybe Grand Central. 

Harlem - 125, Fordham, White Plains, Stamford, New Haven, Poughkeepsie and Croton Harmon have large sales.  Also, Poughkeepsie, Croton Harmon, White Plains, Brewster, New Haven and Stamford are used by conductors for remittances.

23 hours ago, Truckie said:

Harlem - 125, Fordham, White Plains, Stamford, New Haven, Poughkeepsie and Croton Harmon have large sales.  Also, Poughkeepsie, Croton Harmon, White Plains, Brewster, New Haven and Stamford are used by conductors for remittances.

Yeah, but excluding conductors, those people can use the ticket machines. I have always purchased my monthly tickets using the machines. It’s faster than standing in those lines.

I...A B S O L U T E L Y HATEEEE FLAT WHEELS 😡

Everyday I get on an M7 with flat wheels....literally every pair in this fleet has flat wheels somewhere on those two cars. That shit is so annoying, especially the deep ones that make you feel the thumps....going 20-30 mph, THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP!! Whole car shaking....some people actually just complained to the conductor and moved to the next car. Why do all these trains have flat wheels? The C3s don't have this problem, and the few times I rode an M3 I haven't experienced it.

You barely hear them on the subways too. 

On 11/28/2018 at 4:36 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I...A B S O L U T E L Y HATEEEE FLAT WHEELS 😡

Everyday I get on an M7 with flat wheels....literally every pair in this fleet has flat wheels somewhere on those two cars. That shit is so annoying, especially the deep ones that make you feel the thumps....going 20-30 mph, THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP!! Whole car shaking....some people actually just complained to the conductor and moved to the next car. Why do all these trains have flat wheels? The C3s don't have this problem, and the few times I rode an M3 I haven't experienced it.

You barely hear them on the subways too. 

Im not surprised. Being the majority of the electric fleet, M7's are run to the ground, and doing 70+ mph and braking from those speeds constantly would definitely do a number on the wheels.

1 hour ago, Jordan Ayinde said:

Im not surprised. Being the majority of the electric fleet, M7's are run to the ground, and doing 70+ mph and braking from those speeds constantly would definitely do a number on the wheels.

They are commuter rail MUs, that's what they are designed to do! As was already mentioned, it's wet leaf season. Besides, the M7 MDBF is higher than the M3s MDBF on both MTA railroads. The M7s are fine.

12 hours ago, EphraimB said:

How do I get a monthly lirr pass on one side and a monthly metrocard on the other side with a transitchek credit card with the number changing every month?

What number changing? Without a zip code for that credit card you can’t use the machine. Not even sure you can go to a teller with it. When I used to get physical transit checks from my old boss, I had to go to a store that took them or a check cashing place. Since he never deducted them from my pay check, I lived with it, but now I believe all Transit checks are put on credit cards. You should inquire with your employer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nobody posted this, but for this whole month, LIRR has been running two Dual Mode trips in each direction from Port Jefferson to NYP on weekends.

I hope these runs are a success as I wanted at least one of the LIRR diesel branches to have direct service into NYP 7 days a week, just like how Metro North does it with the upper Hudson line having daily service into Grand Central.

The runs are: 8:44AM and 10:13AM from Port Jeff.

From NYP:  2:55PM and 4:25PM

8 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Nobody posted this, but for this whole month, LIRR has been running two Dual Mode trips in each direction from Port Jefferson to NYP on weekends.

I hope these runs are a success as I wanted at least one of the LIRR diesel branches to have direct service into NYP 7 days a week, just like how Metro North does it with the upper Hudson line having daily service into Grand Central.

The runs are: 8:44AM and 10:13AM from Port Jeff.

From NYP:  2:55PM and 4:25PM

All I know is they need more cars. People have been complaining non-stop about packed cars because they run trains with fewer cars.

On 12/22/2018 at 9:29 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

All I know is they need more cars. People have been complaining non-stop about packed cars because they run trains with fewer cars.

The main problem is not the cars but the reliability. The entire diesel LIRR fleet is junkers, that's why they're doing a joint procurement with Metro-North for new ones even though the fleet is barely 20.