LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

How do MNRR conductors decide on which cars to open when they stop at stations that are shorter than the train? For years on the Hudson line, it has seemed totally random. Some runs open the first 4 cars of 8 when stopping at Morris Heights, University Heights and Marble Hill. Other runs use the last 4 cars. Today, something I've never seen before - conductor announces that to exit at those stops, you need to be in the MIDDLE 4 cars! Amazing. Must piss off the regulars for those stops.  But why?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Italianstallion said:

How do MNRR conductors decide on which cars to open when they stop at stations that are shorter than the train? For years on the Hudson line, it has seemed totally random. Some runs open the first 4 cars of 8 when stopping at Morris Heights, University Heights and Marble Hill. Other runs use the last 4 cars. Today, something I've never seen before - conductor announces that to exit at those stops, you need to be in the MIDDLE 4 cars! Amazing. Must piss off the regulars for those stops.  But why?

It varies because of how many cars are used.  For example there is one peak train that I take from Riverdale to GCT that appears to have more cars that other peak trains Southbound, and I believe a few other peak trains do too Northbound to accommodate the crowds.  Given that you'll see that some trains platform differently.  There's a train that's just after the peak to Greystone from GCT (20:37 train) where the first two cars are not used ever, so it's a six car train, but only four cars are used for passengers.  Those first two cars likely don't platform at the stations with the shorter platforms, and then the last four will platform.

30 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It varies because of how many cars are used.  For example there is one peak train that I take from Riverdale to GCT that appears to have more cars that other peak trains Southbound, and I believe a few other peak trains do too Northbound to accommodate the crowds.  Given that you'll see that some trains platform differently.  There's a train that's just after the peak to Greystone from GCT (20:37 train) where the first two cars are not used ever, so it's a six car train, but only four cars are used for passengers.  Those first two cars likely don't platform at the stations with the shorter platforms, and then the last four will platform.

Nope. My examples were all 8-car trains, with all cars occupied. 

Edited by Italianstallion

10 hours ago, Italianstallion said:

Nope. My examples were all 8-car trains, with all cars occupied. 

That is interesting. I don’t get on the trains that have eight cars enough to notice, and never paid attention, but for the other car lengths, I would imagine that the number of cars does matter. For the cars with eight of them going to GCT, I haven’t noticed a difference. You see I’ll always go to the last back cars because they never platform, thus no worrying about doors opening or people getting on, not unless they walk through the train, which rarely ever happens after Marble Hill, not to mention that the last two cars are quiet cars in the AM rush. What you’re talking about must happen during the PM rush, and I try to avoid those trains because of the crowds, but I believe what you’re talking about happens with the trains going to Croton-Harmon. I always try to get the semi-express trains that don’t stop at the trains with short platrorms in the PM, or try to get on in cars where the doors won’t open at such stations because the cars won’t platform, but as you said, it seems to be all over the place, particularly going back to Riverdale, which annoys me, hence why I try to opt for those semi-express trains that don’t stop after 125th until Spuyten Duyvil.  Much more predictable going towards GCT, at least the trains that I board. Then again, there aren’t that many eight train cars save the peak ones if memory serves me right. The semi-express trains may also be eight cars because they seem to be popular but yeah, good question. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone have information on MNRR track worker position? Took the entry test today. 

What is the pension program? 

What are the working hours/days? 

Is there such thing of having both MNRR and RailRoad retirement pensions?

If im based on long island will my assignments be grand central and then commute from there or will i have to report to a station on one of MNRR lines to begin my day  

When was the last contract? Do you guys forsee a salary hike in the future? Base pay is 20.66 i know that is considerably low compared to LIRR  

Any information is useful thanks in advance  

4 hours ago, Gacerra1 said:

Anyone have information on MNRR track worker position? Took the entry test today. 

What is the pension program? 

What are the working hours/days? 

Is there such thing of having both MNRR and RailRoad retirement pensions?

If im based on long island will my assignments be grand central and then commute from there or will i have to report to a station on one of MNRR lines to begin my day  

When was the last contract? Do you guys forsee a salary hike in the future? Base pay is 20.66 i know that is considerably low compared to LIRR  

Any information is useful thanks in advance  

Best place to get this info is in the Transit Employment section, instead of general thoughts. Usually there are pre-established threads for each position, but If you can't find one for your position you can always make one

I've been reading all about the new Hudson Yards building development, and how they cantilevered over the LIRR yard underneath it. I wonder what it's like to have to make moves underneath that. I image it's a whole lot hotter than it used to be with all the exhaust trapped inside, unless they have a good system for dissipating it. 

6 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I've been reading all about the new Hudson Yards building development, and how they cantilevered over the LIRR yard underneath it. I wonder what it's like to have to make moves underneath that. I image it's a whole lot hotter than it used to be with all the exhaust trapped inside, unless they have a good system for dissipating it. 

Just wait till they completey cover it, they left space in between the tracks of west side for possible cement peers to be built for building above and that exactly whats going to happen. 

First time riding the LIRR yesterday - Atlantic Terminal to Locust Manor. The M7s sway a lot which makes me wonder how much they swayed before modifications were made in the early 2000s due to excessive swaying.

The conductor didn't check tickets until we were approaching Jamaica - is this the norm ? If that's the case it's too easy to catch a free ride from Atlantic to ENY.

11 hours ago, brakethrow said:

First time riding the LIRR yesterday - Atlantic Terminal to Locust Manor. The M7s sway a lot which makes me wonder how much they swayed before modifications were made in the early 2000s due to excessive swaying.

The conductor didn't check tickets until we were approaching Jamaica - is this the norm ? If that's the case it's too easy to catch a free ride from Atlantic to ENY.

It's normal for conductors to do checks as the trains are approaching Jamaica. It's not that easy to catch a free ride from Atlantic to ENY. If anything, I've seen more LIRR commuters confuse ENY for Atlantic. 

11 hours ago, brakethrow said:

The conductor usually collects tickets right when the train leaves Atlantic Terminal.

For those interested, the departure boards over the ticket windows at Grand Central are being replaced. The third New Haven LCD mosaic screen has been replaced by an LED monitor.

1tenTOC.jpg

Courtesy: Reddit

When the entire bank of displays are replaced over the coming weeks, they'll look something like this:

D2YC-rXX4AAKL8-.jpg

Courtesy: Patrick O'Hara, Twitter

While I'm sad to see the old mosaic displays go, you can tell they're on borrowed time here. Even in the image above, one can see that there is significant bleed-through degradation on some of the segments, which will only get worse as time goes on. Just look at the 142As' and 188s' side signs for a quick example.

Here's to hoping the track-side departure boards are next, especially those in Grand Central North.

5 hours ago, Lance said:

For those interested, the departure boards over the ticket windows at Grand Central are being replaced. The third New Haven LCD mosaic screen has been replaced by an LED monitor.

1tenTOC.jpg

When the entire bank of displays are replaced over the coming weeks, they'll look something like this:

D2YC-rXX4AAKL8-.jpg

While I'm sad to see the old mosaic displays go, you can tell they're on borrowed time here. Even in the image above, one can see that there is significant bleed-through degradation on some of the segments, which will only get worse as time goes on. Just look at the 142As' and 188s' side signs for a quick example.

Here's to hoping the track-side departure boards are next, especially those in Grand Central North.

These were on borrowed time when they had a survey of three different options done two or three years ago.  Next will be the track side departure boards.

6 hours ago, Lance said:

1tenTOC.jpg

D2YC-rXX4AAKL8-.jpg

Why do the mosaic displays have to go? 😭 They were such a cool and unique part of Grand Central