LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/27/2019 at 4:53 PM, paulrivera said:

On the new Metro-North timetables, the AM peak hour is now going to start at 6am (1 hour later). Is Metro-North really going to change up its morning peak hours or is that a typo?

Since it's the same in all 3 divisional timetables, I doubt it's a typo. What's strange, though, is that there's a detailed description of the 4/14 schedule changes in the February MTA Board minutes, and there's no mention of this change.

Edited by Italianstallion

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Maybe when MTA implement tap on/tap off system, on LIRR and MNR, the system will be cheaper to run

Anyhow looks like Caputo has no comment

https://nypost.com/2019/04/26/mtas-top-earner-hides-behind-scarecrow-after-overtime-pay-expose/

Caputo is my hero Real talk 💯. He's a legend. People up in arms. I get it but they just ignore the bankers and others who make millions off people's taxes. 

. Meanwhile they are going in depth on Caputo. 

1 hour ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Caputo is my hero Real talk 💯. He's a legend. People up in arms. I get it but they just ignore the bankers and others who make millions off people's taxes. 

. Meanwhile they are going in depth on Caputo. 

Bankers and other don’t make million off taxes, they make it off profit. Those that make it off taxes are in jail.

We New Yorkers deserve better than being held captive by the railroad in their inefficient work rules and overtime abuse 

We need change, otherwise I would support cutting aid to the LIRR

Enough is enough, we can’t pay an ever increasing fare, and taxes and receive the same poor service

19 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

Bankers and other don’t make million off taxes, they make it off profit. Those that make it off taxes are in jail.

We New Yorkers deserve better than being held captive by the railroad in their inefficient work rules and overtime abuse 

We need change, otherwise I would support cutting aid to the LIRR

Enough is enough, we can’t pay an ever increasing fare, and taxes and receive the same poor service

I'm speaking about the bailout. Yes Bankers were making bonuses while people's houses were going into foreclosure. Millions. There is corruption of the highest degree in financing, In politics. 

There will be an investigation for sure. They are going for a new contract their contract just expired. Caputo took too much and they got too greedy all the people on the list and others who were eating off that overtime train. If they would've kept it the way it was a few yrs ago things might've gone less noticed. 

Please don't fall victim to them putting this story on blast to mask the other abuse Many people commit. Including millionaires who get away with paying less taxes than they should. 

6 hours ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

I'm speaking about the bailout. Yes Bankers were making bonuses while people's houses were going into foreclosure. Millions. There is corruption of the highest degree in financing, In politics. 

There will be an investigation for sure. They are going for a new contract their contract just expired. Caputo took too much and they got too greedy all the people on the list and others who were eating off that overtime train. If they would've kept it the way it was a few yrs ago things might've gone less noticed. 

Please don't fall victim to them putting this story on blast to mask the other abuse Many people commit. Including millionaires who get away with paying less taxes than they should. 

Still the optics of this is terrible

The fare just went up, 

MTA tells our government that they needed money and fast

Congestion pricing passes

We taxpayer pay more 

and now this. This is completely unacceptable. 3,000 hours of overtime? I want a thorough investigation into this, and if nothing happens, I want ALL LIRR funding suspended until a detailed report and changes could be published.

Why is it always the LIRR? This isn't the first time this has happened and this certainly isn't the first time the LIRR has been the main culprit here.

Shifting gears, it looks like the new LED displays for the main departure board at GCT are now active.

image.thumb.png.8f67129bcf9bfcd390053625b455c6b1.png

Courtesy: reck345, Reddit

Despite the insistence over there that these new displays somehow diminish the class and grandeur of the station, I think they look nice. A much better improvement over the dated and damaged LCD screens currently in place. Though, in my opinion, the gradient needs to go. That kind of design is way too dated these days. Just look at the MTA's site to see what I mean. Also, what's the point of treating the information sign as separate lines like it's the old LCD board. They can take the same feed that goes out to the Outfront monitors on the opposite side of the main hall sans advertisements and it would work just as well.

On 4/19/2019 at 1:29 AM, N6 Limited said:

How are they expecting to serve Mineola when the 3 tra/.ck is going to bypass it? Port Jeff Trains only

It is so stupid. They likely did not want to take any property, which prevented them from having island platforms.

6 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Still the optics of this is terrible

The fare just went up, 

MTA tells our government that they needed money and fast

Congestion pricing passes

We taxpayer pay more 

and now this. This is completely unacceptable. 3,000 hours of overtime? I want a thorough investigation into this, and if nothing happens, I want ALL LIRR funding suspended until a detailed report and changes could be published.

Idk what trains you take. I'm gonna say this. Mta nyc should cost more. It should be $3.50 per ride and bused should be $2.75 and Transfers between the two should be half off. So it should cost $4.85 or so each way to location if you take both. They should be more vigilant of people skipping fares on bused via the back door. 

Ferries should cease being subsidized. Staten Island ferry charge them for taking it. All the other ferries as well. Do all this and THEN look into overtime for the MTA. LIRR and Metro North those you can look at now. They've always gotten paid more and had better jobs. 

Do this and don't add a congestion tax. I drive to the city and sometimes I'm driving in from NJ not every day but 3-4 days a week usually I'm driving in. Why should I fit the bill when you don't charge your customers what you should at least first??? 

Edited by Nyctransitorhotels

3 hours ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Idk what trains you take. I'm gonna say this. Mta nyc should cost more. It should be $3.50 per ride and bused should be $2.75 and Transfers between the two should be half off. So it should cost $4.85 or so each way to location if you take both. They should be more vigilant of people skipping fares on bused via the back door. 

Ferries should cease being subsidized. Staten Island ferry charge them for taking it. All the other ferries as well. Do all this and THEN look into overtime for the MTA. LIRR and Metro North those you can look at now. They've always gotten paid more and had better jobs. 

Do this and don't add a congestion tax. I drive to the city and sometimes I'm driving in from NJ not every day but 3-4 days a week usually I'm driving in. Why should I fit the bill when you don't charge your customers what you should at least first??? 

No, it should not cost more.  What you are looking at is the fare. You aren't considering how many times we are taxed for that fare.... Phone bills and other utility bills add a surcharge that goes to the (MTA).  Bridges and toll fees go to the (MTA) as well.  Any cabs or Ubers you take... There's another surcharge that goes to the (MTA) , and now we'll have congestion pricing.  That should be more than enough money for the (MTA) with a lockbox in place.

18 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

No, it should not cost more.  What you are looking at is the fare. You aren't considering how many times we are taxed for that fare.... Phone bills and other utility bills add a surcharge that goes to the (MTA).  Bridges and toll fees go to the (MTA) as well.  Any cabs or Ubers you take... There's another surcharge that goes to the (MTA) , and now we'll have congestion pricing.  That should be more than enough money for the (MTA) with a lockbox in place.

There's a surcharge of phone bill that goes to the mta?? I know cell phone bills don't have that. I don't have a land-line. Bridges and tolls are supposed to mainly go to the upkeep for the bridges. Ubers you are right. 

I think people should pay the cost to use the trains and buses. Don't tax me cause I drive to the city that's ridiculous. I also take the trains and I'm fine with paying more. As long as congestion pricing doesn't occur. 

3 minutes ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

There's a surcharge of phone bill that goes to the mta?? I know cell phone bills don't have that. I don't have a land-line. Bridges and tolls are supposed to mainly go to the upkeep for the bridges. Ubers you are right. 

I think people should pay the cost to use the trains and buses. Don't tax me cause I drive to the city that's ridiculous. I also take the trains and I'm fine with paying more. As long as congestion pricing doesn't occur. 

There's a ton of surcharges for various bills that we all pay that go to the (MTA). You should closely examine your bill next time. They obviously don't say (MTA) but they are there, and yes that includes cell phone bills.

This article is from 2009, but the surcharges still apply:

New Yorkers’ cellphone levies include a 4 percent state sales tax, a 4.125 percent city sales tax, and three MTA taxes that add up to 0.98 percent.

NY State has some of the highest cell phone surcharges around, and as a you can see, the (MTA) gets their cut of that and other surcharges from other bills we pay.

https://nypost.com/2009/04/13/phone-taxes-are-cell-hell/

As for your other comment, drivers should be taxed, to discourage them from driving and polluting the air.  If everyone drove, it wouldn't work.  There's already too much congestion as it is, hence why congestion pricing was passed, to get more people out of their cars and using transportation. We are a City of over 8 million. It is simply not feasible to have everyone driving.

1 hour ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

I think we need to discourage driving especially in NYC, where road capacity is limited

That being said I don’t think it should be an obligation for public transportation to be self sustaining as people who don’t drive also pay for the upkeep of road.

As a society we should stop treating Transit as welfare and more as a public service. The welfare mentality is exactly why many cities have bus system that runs VERY unfrequently and VERY early (some end at 5:30PM) 

Does that give the (MTA) a excuse for our of control cost? No absolutely not. We need a full audit of their books done by someone OUTSIDE of NYS to ensure we taxpayers and riders are getting the best bang for our bucks

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There's a ton of surcharges for various bills that we all pay that go to the (MTA). You should closely examine your bill next time. They obviously don't say (MTA) but they are there, and yes that includes cell phone bills.

This article is from 2009, but the surcharges still apply:

NY State has some of the highest cell phone surcharges around, and as a you can see, the (MTA) gets their cut of that and other surcharges from other bills we pay.

https://nypost.com/2009/04/13/phone-taxes-are-cell-hell/

As for your other comment, drivers should be taxed, to discourage them from driving and polluting the air.  If everyone drove, it wouldn't work.  There's already too much congestion as it is, hence why congestion pricing was passed, to get more people out of their cars and using transportation. We are a City of over 8 million. It is simply not feasible to have everyone driving.

It's simply penalizing the people who drive in. Keep it as is. If I want to drive and not take public transportation don't gouge me like they've gouged the people who smoke cigarettes. 

It's easy for people who don't drive maybe don't even have cars to be for congestion pricing. I do both. I don't think it's fair not one bit. 

6 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

I think we need to discourage driving especially in NYC, where road capacity is limited

That being said I don’t think it should be an obligation for public transportation to be self sustaining as people who don’t drive also pay for the upkeep of road.

As a society we should stop treating Transit as welfare and more as a public service. The welfare mentality is exactly why many cities have bus system that runs VERY unfrequently and VERY early (some end at 5:30PM) 

Does that give the (MTA) a excuse for our of control cost? No absolutely not. We need a full audit of their books done by someone OUTSIDE of NYS to ensure we taxpayers and riders are getting the best bang for our bucks

Do you drive?? Do you own a car?? I get charged a large amount for registration for insurance. The city tickets driver left and right. This doesn't happen in other cities as often. 

I'm all for audits though. 

5 minutes ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Do you drive?? Do you own a car?? I get charged a large amount for registration for insurance. The city tickets driver left and right. This doesn't happen in other cities as often. 

I'm all for audits though. 

7 minutes ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

It's simply penalizing the people who drive in. Keep it as is. If I want to drive and not take public transportation don't gouge me like they've gouged the people who smoke cigarettes. 

It's easy for people who don't drive maybe don't even have cars to be for congestion pricing. I do both. I don't think it's fair not one bit

You seem to not understand that all of the fees are there to discourage people from driving.  There is over 8 million people in this City and not everyone can drive in. It's simply not feasible.