LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

20 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You seem to not understand that all of the fees are there to discourage people from driving.  There is over 8 million people in this City and not everyone can drive in. It's simply not feasible. 

Of course I understand it. However people who don't own a car nor drive. To agree drivers should foot the bill for a public transportation system and not pass the bill onto its customers. Imo are people who want to capitalize off of the backs of drivers. 

So I will ask you do you drive?? Do you own a car?? 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Of course I understand it. However people who don't own a car nor drive. To agree drivers should foot the bill for a public transportation system and not pass the bill onto its customers. Imo are people who want to capitalize off of the backs of drivers. 

So I will ask you do you drive?? Do you own a car?? 

I use Metro-North and the express bus because most of my commuting is to and from Manhattan. I would drive to go to other destinations such as Westchester.  I have friends that insist on driving into Manhattan, and it's a hassle. Looking for parking, or babysitting the meter while we have dinner... No thanks.

45 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I use Metro-North and the express bus because most of my commuting is to and from Manhattan. I would drive to go to other destinations such as Westchester.  I have friends that insist on driving into Manhattan, and it's a hassle. Looking for parking, or babysitting the meter while we have dinner... No thanks.

Metro north and LIRR I believe are over priced. They should actually lower the rates on there. 

18 minutes ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Metro north and LIRR I believe are over priced. They should actually lower the rates on there. 

Depends where you’re going. Bronx/Queens to Manhattan is definitely overpriced, and I think the monthly passes for the furthest stations need to have a cap, but in some cases Metro-North and the LIRR are a relative bargain (especially intermediate travel and the getaway packages.)

9 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Depends where you’re going. Bronx/Queens to Manhattan is definitely overpriced, and I think the monthly passes for the furthest stations need to have a cap, but in some cases Metro-North and the LIRR are a relative bargain (especially intermediate travel and the getaway packages.)

The reality is those of us that go to and from the outerboroughs to Manhattan pay for the intermediate riders.  I believe the (MTA) noted that the intermediate riders tend to be poor and they comprise a decent amount of their ridership, so they don't want to shut those riders out, so they make up for it elsewhere.  A one way peak ticket from Riverdale to Grand Central is now $9.75, not including the $2.75 for the Hudson Raillink shuttle bus, so $12.50 versus $3.00, over four times the price... They haven't raised the intermediate cost of a ticket in years...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

26 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The reality is those of us that go to and from the outerboroughs to Manhattan pay for the intermediate riders.  I believe the (MTA) noted that the intermediate riders tend to be poor and they comprise a decent amount of their ridership, so they don't want to shut those riders out, so they make up for it elsewhere.  A one way peak ticket from Riverdale to Grand Central is now $9.75, not including the $2.75 for the Hudson Raillink shuttle bus, so $12.50 versus $3.00, over four times the price... They haven't raised the intermediate cost of a ticket in years...

They should raise the intermediate a bit and lower the amount for people who pay the premium and they should look into overtime for the people who over abuse it. Let's see this contract coming up what happens. 

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They don't run extra trains for intermediate riders, though. They're just taking up seats that would otherwise be empty, which is why the fares are so low for what they are.

Hudson Line, Port Jefferson, Oyster Bay and Port Jefferson Brances should be electrified and replaced with High-Speed Trains similar to Acela instead of these Noisy Scary Monstrous GE Genesis and EMD DE30AC/DM30AC.

High-Speed Trains looks more quiet without these Noisy  Diesel Trains releasing Smokes to the Air.

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Some intermediate stations are a bargain, Fordham to Stamford is like $6 while taking it a few miles more into GCT is more than double. Fordham to White Plain is slightly more expensive than a subway fare. 

Intermediate riders definitely gotten a better deal but I’m not complaining.

17 minutes ago, subwayfan1998 said:

Hudson Line, Port Jefferson, Oyster Bay and Port Jefferson Brances should be electrified and replaced with High-Speed Trains similar to Acela instead of these Noisy Scary Monstrous GE Genesis and EMD DE30AC/DM30AC.

High-Speed Trains looks more quiet without these Noisy  Diesel Trains releasing Smokes to the Air.

No money and no political will. Look at California.

77 Billion and counting, first phase to nowhere will finish in 2030 and second phase probably 2070

1 hour ago, subwayfan1998 said:

If those lines got electrified, they probably would be replaced with MU cars not locomotive hauled coaches.. The stops are so close together that HSR trainsets would be wasteful on commuter rail lines. 

1 hour ago, Mtatransit said:

Some intermediate stations are a bargain, Fordham to Stamford is like $6 while taking it a few miles more into GCT is more than double. Fordham to White Plain is slightly more expensive than a subway fare. 

Intermediate riders definitely gotten a better deal but I’m not complaining.

No money and no political will. Look at California.

77 Billion and counting, first phase to nowhere will finish in 2030 and second phase probably 2070

Look at Texas, there are working on to Built High-Speed Rail.

Also California, Much better to cancel the HSR and these money should go to reduce national Debt.

11 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

If those lines got electrified, they probably would be replaced with MU cars not locomotive hauled coaches.. The stops are so close together that HSR trainsets would be wasteful on commuter rail lines. 

Acela-like Fleets are sutible for these Lines.

On 4/29/2019 at 6:44 PM, trainfan22 said:

Not to mention, local stopping frequency is so high that a high speed train would probably just get stuck behind a local if they actually tried running at top speed.

On 4/29/2019 at 6:55 PM, subwayfan1998 said:

Look at Texas, there are working on to Built High-Speed Rail.

Also California, Much better to cancel the HSR and these money should go to reduce national Debt.

Texas High Speed Rail has a total of three stops, there's no local service.

California's blended segment with Caltrain is only going to run at 125MPH, even slower than Acela and not considered HSR in most countries. You can't mix high speed rail with local commuter service.

2 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Not to mention, local stopping frequency is so high that a high speed train would probably just get stuck behind a local if they actually tried running at top speed.

Texas High Speed Rail has a total of three stops, there's no local service.

California's blended segment with Caltrain is only going to run at 125MPH, even slower than Acela and not considered HSR in most countries. You can't mix high speed rail with local commuter service.

California HSR is not HSR then, Ok then if you guys hate to see a HSR in the States then why now the Higher Speed Rail like those in Florida?

11 hours ago, subwayfan1998 said:

California HSR is not HSR then, Ok then if you guys hate to see a HSR in the States then why now the Higher Speed Rail like those in Florida?

We don’t hate HSR

It simply isn’t feasible. 

First, the cost. Building a HSR on Long Island will probably cost close to a trillion dollars based on land value and electrification/NIMBY

Second Capacity- LIRR runs ALOT of trains along Main/Babylon Lines. Any HSR will not be able to travel more than 70 mph without slowing down for a local ahead.

Third- Complaints can delay building by 10 years. California HSR has people during the State for almost every inch of land taken from them on environmental reason 

Texas have people literally wanting the law changed so they could not build the train

Brightline in Florida also had multiple lawsuit and even a website call notrain.com or something like that 

3 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

We don’t hate HSR

It simply isn’t feasible

First, the cost. Building a HSR on Long Island will probably cost close to a trillion dollars based on land value and electrification/NIMBY

Second Capacity- LIRR runs ALOT of trains along Main/Babylon Lines. Any HSR will not be able to travel more than 70 mph without slowing down for a local ahead.

Third- Complaints can delay building by 10 years. California HSR has people during the State for almost every inch of land taken from them on environmental reason 

Texas have people literally wanting the law changed so they could not build the train

Brightline in Florida also had multiple lawsuit and even a website call notrain.com or something like that 

I Understand now, Why do People in Texas want to change the Law to not build Trains at all? is it fear that their lands would be taken from them?

Also New Governor Gavin Newsom had recently stopped building HSR, Florida, Wisconsin and Ohio had cancelled the HSR back in 2011 and i don't know why they did it?

12 hours ago, subwayfan1998 said:

I Understand now, Why do People in Texas want to change the Law to not build Trains at all? is it fear that their lands would be taken from them?

Also New Governor Gavin Newsom had recently stopped building HSR, Florida, Wisconsin and Ohio had cancelled the HSR back in 2011 and i don't know why they did it?

Usually comes down to property and money.

Texas have rural groups fighting to prevent their lands from being taken. LIRR third track was delayed for many years for this same reason 

FL, WI, OH had anti- Transit politicians that to “save taxpayer” money they had to be responsible with the money. In reality they just hate Transit (and some politics too to reject “obama” money)

Remember outside of NYC, Transit is associated with the poor and treated as welfare. Therefore many politicians don’t like funding it

In California’s case the  governor actually cares about HSR however the cost just keep rising. Voters originally approved a 40 billion system that is 400 miles long. Now to complete the 171 miles from no-where to no where (Bakersfield-Merced will cost 77 billion. A 37 BILLION dollar increase for less than half the promised length. California simply couldn’t afford it.

Edited by Mtatransit

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=m7060103&PLTYPE=1

M7060103

Brewster YD Improvements - Design

Design and environmental assessments for expansion of Brewster yard to accommodate fleet replacement and future growth.

Design Start June 2019 Design End 2024

Funds increased from $4,200,000 to $7,500,000.

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_budhist.php?PROJNUM=m7060103&PLTYPE=1

Anyone know more about this?

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=m7030210&PLTYPE=5

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_budget.php?PROJNUM=m7030210&PLTYPE=5

M7030210

Hudson Line Tunnels Inspection

This project is a continuation of Hudson Line Tunnel Rehabilitation which addressed the general conditions of the tunnels and increased the clearances through Little, Middle and Fort Montgomery Tunnels as part of the New York State Full Freight Clearance Improvement Program.

Const Start May 2019 End 2020

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=m7030204&PLTYPE=5

M7030204

Beacon Line Undergrade Bridges

This project will rehab select undergrade bridges on the Beacon line.

$7.5 million

Strategic Facilities **

M7020301

This project will purchase the property located at 12 Croton Falls Road in Croton Falls, New York, followed by design-build construction of a 450 space parking lot with connecting sidewalks to the existing sidewalk on the station side of the Croton Falls Road / RTE 202 intersection.

Design Start Jun 2019 Design End 2021 Const Start 2020 End 2021

$14,111,840

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=m7020301&PLTYPE=5

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_budget.php?PROJNUM=m7020301&PLTYPE=5

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_budhist.php?PROJNUM=m7020301&PLTYPE=5

Edited by Union Tpke

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Anyone know more about this?

In the 80s, 90s and early 2000s, NYS undertook a program to revamp freight rail infrastructure in NYC. This program -- called the Full Freight Access Program -- was the impetus for things like the Oak Point Link, the Harlem River Yard rebuild, the 65th St rebuild, and -- salient here -- 19' 6" clearances from Albany to Tarrytown, and 17' 6" from Tarrytown to Bay Ridge. The TOFC traffic that the clearance improvements targeted never materialized, and today HRY is used for the Waste Management rail transload (IINM WM cars are Plate F, meaning they use the full 17' 6" provided, but I could be wrong on that). This contract is, I assume, just them making sure that there's nothing threatening the clearance profile. 

A little fun bit of trivia: before the program was completed, Conrail ran a daily train of RoadRailers (which fit in the previous clearance envelope) between Buffalo and what is now Highbridge Yard in the Bronx. They called it the "Empire State Xpress," ran it at 70mph, and (as legend would have it) raced it against the Lake Shore Limited. Sadly, imbalanced commodity flows (too much in, too little out) killed it after two years. A cool operation, nonetheless.