Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

Anyone know what’s happening with Tremont and Melrose this summer? The new timetable has bus service from Fordham to both stops on weekdays, but I can’t find anything about it online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I've been taking the New Haven line on MNRR this past week and I've been shocked by the amount of trackside garbage and left-over construction debris across the line, and in the tunnels out of GCT. 

I wonder if that toy wagon is still there trackside around New Rochelle...

  • LMAO! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

I wonder if that toy wagon is still there trackside around New Rochelle...

I'll take a closer look on Monday...do you remember where exactly you saw it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There needs to be a free crosshonoring system on the Far Rockaway LIRR Branch between Jamaica & Five Towns at all times. There’s like nothing else mass transit to take that actually exists to go to/from Five Towns.

Edited by Axis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to commute from far Rockaway to Brooklyn by train to get to my psychiatrist appointment. The problem is that it will thunderstorm today. The commute includes a 20 minute walk to the train station. What do I do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, EphraimB said:

I need to commute from far Rockaway to Brooklyn by train to get to my psychiatrist appointment. The problem is that it will thunderstorm today. The commute includes a 20 minute walk to the train station. What do I do?

Have someone drive you to the train station, or take a bus, or, finally, walk with an umbrella.

Edited by P3F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EphraimB said:

I need to commute from far Rockaway to Brooklyn by train to get to my psychiatrist appointment. The problem is that it will thunderstorm today. The commute includes a 20 minute walk to the train station. What do I do?

Buy an umbrella and take a bus or an Uber.... <_<

  • LMAO! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Does anybody know any EASILY ACCESSIBLE places to railfan within 1.5 hours of NYC that have RELATIVELY FREQUENT service? MNR, LIRR, Amtrak, freight, I'm fine with all! :)

LIRR: Woodside, Forest Hills

 

Metro North: 125th street

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Out of NYC, maybe? I was wondering if I could see MNR AND freight trains

Freight trains run on the Hudson line but IDK an specific time of when a freight will show up on the Hudson.

 

Bound Brook on NJT raitian valley line is the best spot for fanning freights in the NYC area.. not my video below but it's an example of what to expect there..

 

 

Edited by trainfan22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Out of NYC, maybe? I was wondering if I could see MNR AND freight trains

Yeah as was noted 125th is about as good as it gets and Fordham, though Fordham isn't quiet. The Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil stations in my neighborhood are quiet and you can see the Amtrak trains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Does anybody know any EASILY ACCESSIBLE places to railfan within 1.5 hours of NYC that have RELATIVELY FREQUENT service? MNR, LIRR, Amtrak, freight, I'm fine with all! :)

As others have said, Woodside, Forest Hills is a good place. Mineola is popular, Valley Stream as well.

During rush hour Babylon can be interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Jsunflyguy said:

As others have said, Woodside, Forest Hills is a good place. Mineola is popular, Valley Stream as well.

During rush hour Babylon can be interesting.

That island platform at Woodside is quite the experience during rush hour. Trains all around you going every which way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh that reminds me, there is a spot on the corner Skillman Ave and Thomson Ave near 33rd on the (7) where you have an ok view of Harold Interlocking. Won't get any good video but an interesting show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you buy LIRR tickets with a Pay-per-Ride MetroCard? 

Instead of taking the subway I want to take the LIRR but still use the funds I've added onto my MetroCard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Can you buy LIRR tickets with a Pay-per-Ride MetroCard? 

Instead of taking the subway I want to take the LIRR but still use the funds I've added onto my MetroCard. 

That'd be interesting, but MetroCards are hardly relevant to the railroads in any capacity. (Basically, unless your ticket comes with one in some form or there's cross-honoring, the MetroCard is meaningless.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know the procedure for boarding/deboarding the Hudson Line trains at Manitou? I am probably going to go up there this weekend (for a hike nearby)! Also, is there any special procedure for buying tickets there? I plan to use MTA eTix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Does anyone know the procedure for boarding/deboarding the Hudson Line trains at Manitou? I am probably going to go up there this weekend (for a hike nearby)! Also, is there any special procedure for buying tickets there? I plan to use MTA eTix.

Also, is there a specific car we need to board in?

Does the train always stop at Manitou, or do you have to flag it down? - I will be catching one of the afternoon trains back to NYC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Does anyone know the procedure for boarding/deboarding the Hudson Line trains at Manitou? I am probably going to go up there this weekend (for a hike nearby)! Also, is there any special procedure for buying tickets there? I plan to use MTA eTix.

 

35 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Also, is there a specific car we need to board in?

Does the train always stop at Manitou, or do you have to flag it down? - I will be catching one of the afternoon trains back to NYC

Leaving NYC, the first five trains to Poughkeepsie (6:45 hourly until 10:45 from GCT) all stop in Manitou. Coming back, there's a 1:24 return then hourly from 3:24 until 7:28, with no flagging down needed. 99.999% of Metro-North engineers know to stop at Manitou at those times on the weekends.

If you're in the wrong car, the conductor will typically let you know what car you need to be for Manitou as they check your ticket. eTix shouldn't be a problem in and of itself, but check the cell service when you get there just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

 

Leaving NYC, the first five trains to Poughkeepsie (6:45 hourly until 10:45 from GCT) all stop in Manitou. Coming back, there's a 1:24 return then hourly from 3:24 until 7:28, with no flagging down needed. 99.999% of Metro-North engineers know to stop at Manitou at those times on the weekends.

If you're in the wrong car, the conductor will typically let you know what car you need to be for Manitou as they check your ticket. eTix shouldn't be a problem in and of itself, but check the cell service when you get there just in case.

what does flagging down mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.