Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

3 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

Same amount of time it would take the (A) to travel between Penn Station, or Downtown Brooklyn via the Rockaways.  All the LIRR does make stops in Nassau, and skip unnecessary stops in Queens like Hollis, Laurelton, or St. Albans

I thought the mta made the Rockaway beach branch to decrease travel times.

On 10/10/2019 at 5:07 PM, EphraimB said:

I thought the mta made the Rockaway beach branch to decrease travel times.

The Far Rockaway Branch is mostly for 5 Towns, Gibson, and Valley Stream Residents. The Travel Time is already roughly a hour into the city via LIRR, it's not going to get any shorter unless the LIRR starts doing Super Expresses similar to the Ronk. or Babylon Lines.

HELP

I left my bag on the 5:43 local Hudson Line train from Grand Central to Greystone on Tuesday. I boarded the train at GCT and got off at Riverdale. Its a black Food Network bag. Does anyone know how I could possibly get it back?

(I already put in an inquiry for Metro North Lost and Found a couple days ago)

On 10/17/2019 at 1:31 PM, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

HELP

I left my bag on the 5:43 local Hudson Line train from Grand Central to Greystone on Tuesday. I boarded the train at GCT and got off at Riverdale. Its a black Food Network bag. Does anyone know how I could possibly get it back?

(I already put in an inquiry for Metro North Lost and Found a couple days ago)

Lost and found is your best option. I suppose you could board the same train again and ask a crew member if they saw it.

I seriously do not understand why the LIRR does not coordinate with Stony Brook knowing that the university brings so much traffic to the branch. Stony Brook is the reason why service increased drastically on the Port Jefferson branch east of Huntington, and because of the increased service...the stations along the line also increased as service is more reliable. (hopefully soon after the Main Line project they can expedite the double track considerations, and hopefully electrify east of Huntington). 

BUT....the LIRR still has the situation of not coordinating trains to accommodate when school goes on break or days when everyone is going home. 

Earlier this month, Stony Brook had its mid-semester fall break. Friday, Oct 11th was the last day of classes until Oct 16th. Clearly everyone is going home that Friday, and most classes on Friday run from 10am-3:30pm. 4:18pm is the perfect train for everyone to catch and its express to Jamaica. No one even considers the 6:49pm unless they need to because it takes an extra 35mins because it sits around at stations waiting for eastbound trains to pass. (and why take that train when you can take the 4:18pm for free because its so crowded they can't check tickets). 

Anyways...imagine everyone going home that Friday on that ONE train....the 4:18pm...my goodness the platform looked like Times Square during New Years...

And at that...the train only had FIVE C3 cars and ONE 4xx DE30AC...it took about 9mins to board at that station, and literally the last 3 cars were packed to the doors (even both levels had people standing, literally the most uncomfortable and slowest ride I've ever had).

Imagine having to pick up at St James, Smithtown, Kings Park, Northport, and Greenlawn.....(mind you, the exits at 90% of these stations are at the back of the platform...and engineers stop at the front middle of the platform. So now the only the first two cars had slight standing room in the aisles on both decks, and everyone literally had to walk down the train (which took about 5-6mins at each station) to board the train. It was so crowded and slow (that poor engine took forever to accelerate up to speed). 

LIRR....you've got to do better next time....we don't even need an extra train....just make it an 8 coach set with two engines whenever Stony Brook has breaks like that...

Here's a heads up: next big break is Thanksgiving Break. It starts WEDNESDAY, November 27th, and goes on until November 30th. This means everyone will be going home on TUESDAY, November 26th. Everyone is going to target the 4:18pm train....please make it 8 cars....PLEASE make it 8 cars.....so we can actually get to Jamaica on time and not 30-35mins late. 

Here's a video of the boarding crowds (mind you, I was already standing here for about 3mins because I had to wait for the train to pass before crossing). 

Nobody expected the warmer than normal Fall Season, which in turn is causing more foot traffic. Can't wait to see how News12 spins this