LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

11 hours ago, NY1635 said:

A one seat ride into Brooklyn and skipping the Hillside Support Facility. A lot of disgruntled Stony Brook Students party in the city and get stuck at Penn after getting drunk. They're mad that Suffolk is putting a curfew on Fire Island and Montauk parties due to all the disorderly conduct associated with them.

"You're all over the track! Let's see some control!"

Seriously, how the hell does any of that make sense?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, NY1635 said:

A one seat ride into Brooklyn and skipping the Hillside Support Facility. A lot of disgruntled Stony Brook Students party in the city and get stuck at Penn after getting drunk. They're mad that Suffolk is putting a curfew on Fire Island and Montauk parties due to all the disorderly conduct associated with them.

Can you read? The person's talking about a line to Staten Island. If the LIRR wanted to they could run Stony Brook trains to Atlantic today. Unless Patrick Starr has been around shuffling New York City around I'm pretty sure building the LIRR to Staten Island from Brooklyn doesn't put a new line through Brooklyn.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Lex said:

That's up to the MTA to decide.

Of course, there will be clearance concerns. If the tunnels to Grand Central are anything like the ones to Atlantic Terminal, expect them to be limited to Jamaica, Penn, and Hunterspoint...

I thought all LIRR territory had the clearance for the Diesels and C3s? 

On 12/27/2019 at 8:24 AM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Any ideas of double decker EMUs for the LIRR? Similar to what they have in Sydney, but obviously on third rail power.

• Double deck EMUs would be limited to the existing Penn Station terminal. The lower level of 63rd is only designed to fit things the size of an M3.
  • Double deck trains are bad for capacity, because they increase dwell times, they pretty much eliminate standing room, and the stairs take up space.

Quite frankly, the LIRR could get a lot more mileage by 

• removing the 3rd seat and putting vertical grab bars on alternating sides per row of seats
  • adding a 3rd set of doors in the middle to reduce time to walk to doors (and dwell times)
  • small, 3-seat bench sections closest to the doors so that people can stand around them

Check out the Thameslink Class 700 for how much better it looks, in terms of capacity:

Thameslink_Class_700.jpg

Edited by bobtehpanda

On 12/28/2019 at 8:09 PM, Shore El Express said:

the rockaway beach branch went from beach 116 st and according to a 1962 timetable it took 22 minutes

Okay I'm very late to the convo but what exactly is the question here ? AFAIK Inwood is on the Far Rock branch, right ? If I'm understanding this correctly there's a timetable saying 22 minutes to where ? In '62 the NYCTA ran the subways on the Rockaways and there was no connection to the LIRR Far Rock branch. Are we talking about the time from Ozone Park station perhaps ? Even then I can't see a 22 minute run from Ozone to Penn Station. Am I missing something here ? Carry on.

4 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Okay I'm very late to the convo but what exactly is the question here ? AFAIK Inwood is on the Far Rock branch, right ? If I'm understanding this correctly there's a timetable saying 22 minutes to where ? In '62 the NYCTA ran the subways on the Rockaways and there was no connection to the LIRR Far Rock branch. Are we talking about the time from Ozone Park station perhaps ? Even then I can't see a 22 minute run from Ozone to Penn Station. Am I missing something here ? Carry on.

The question at hand was the time from Inwood to Penn via the Rockaway beach branch, however the rockaway beach branch went to 116 st, not to inwood.

The reference  I made was the time from ozone park to Penn station, which was 32 Minutes, not 22. That was a spelling error on my part.

The Rockaway Beach Branch south of Ozone Park was converted for subway usage in 1956, so LIRR Trains from then on terminated at ozone. This 3.5 mile stretch was abandoned on June 8, 1962.

A fire on the wooden trestle across the bay on the LIRR line in 1950 is what cut service, so instead trains ran via the rockaway beach branch until going via the hammels wye, then along the far rockaway branch into penn station. The other rockaway beach branch stations in queens (whitepot to ozone park) continued to operate.

23 minutes ago, Shore El Express said:

The question at hand was the time from Inwood to Penn via the Rockaway beach branch, however the rockaway beach branch went to 116 st, not to inwood.

The reference  I made was the time from ozone park to Penn station, which was 32 Minutes, not 22. That was a spelling error on my part.

The Rockaway Beach Branch south of Ozone Park was converted for subway usage in 1956, so LIRR Trains from then on terminated at ozone. This 3.5 mile stretch was abandoned on June 8, 1962.

A fire on the wooden trestle across the bay on the LIRR line in 1950 is what cut service, so instead trains ran via the rockaway beach branch until going via the hammels wye, then along the far rockaway branch into penn station. The other rockaway beach branch stations in queens (whitepot to ozone park) continued to operate.

Thanks for the correction. Gotta laugh though because I'm 70 years young, have used the abandoned Woodhaven station downstairs on the Atlantic Branch and paid the extra fare when the (A) first went to the Rockaways. For the last decade or so I've been the historian in the subway forums. Glad to see I now have some help. My cousin and I drove by the Ozone Park Station  Thanksgiving evening because I had to show him that the structure was still standing. We passed the old RBB station earlier that day on the way to dinner and I was surprised that he never knew what the structure across Atlantic Avenue was. Then again he's one of those people who gets lost between Riis Park and Downtown Brooklyn while driving.  Anyway welcome aboard the forums.

Edited by Trainmaster5
additional thought

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Thanks for the correction. Gotta laugh though because I'm 70 years young, have used the abandoned Woodhaven station downstairs on the Atlantic Branch and paid the extra fare when the (A) first went to the Rockaways. For the last decade or so I've been the historian in the subway forums. Glad to see I now have some help. My cousin and I drove by the Ozone Park Station  Thanksgiving evening because I had to show him that the structure was still standing. We passed the old RBB station earlier that day on the way to dinner and I was surprised that he never knew what the structure across Atlantic Avenue was. Then again he's one of those people who gets lost between Riis Park and Downtown Brooklyn while driving.  Anyway welcome aboard the forums.

Cool. The I found that at woodhaven jucntion, the wye between the two branches has been converted into a school bus yard, so that's a dissapointing prospect in terms of the structure being intact

• 2 weeks later...