LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from the news12 article:

"During one particular month, the comptroller says there were 24 mechanical incidents reported by the MTA, but 14 other mechanical incidents that resulted in delays or lost trips were not reported. Had they been included, “the number of failures would have been 58% higher.”

The report also criticizes the LIRR for recording ridership numbers based on tickets purchased instead of actual people on the trains."

Hilarious, for several reasons.....

14 hours ago, EphraimB said:

Someone told me that there's a lot of light by the Croton-Harmon train station.

It is well lit over there, but what's wrong with that exactly?

On 1/8/2020 at 6:08 PM, EphraimB said:

Does anyone know the name of LIRR Conductor #7937?

11 hours ago, EphraimB said:

I want to make a database of all the LIRR employees including names, photos, audio recordings, and the days they work.

No, you don't.

Edited by B35 via Church

On 1/10/2020 at 12:17 PM, EphraimB said:

I want to make a database of all the LIRR employees including names, photos, audio recordings, and the days they work.

You might as well go big and get social security numbers, credit scores and blood samples.....  or one better, a different hobby!

2 hours ago, EphraimB said:

Light pollution masks out stars which makes it bad for stargazing.

Right, because that frivolous reason is more important than passenger safety.... You of all people should know how pitch black suburban areas get at night, Mr. Reads lane......

1 hour ago, Truckie said:

You might as well go big and get social security numbers, credit scores and blood samples.....  or one better, a different hobby!

You mean, like stargazing.....

6 hours ago, EphraimB said:

So can you please tell me?

Sorry dude, can't help you with that...

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

On myLIRR, it states that train 6153 (11:54 PM from Babylon to Penn) is a 2-car train. I have my suspicions about that, but what's the story with this train? Is a 2-car set a thing anywhere in the system?

Wait... The use of paired couplings within a trainset in general, or the running of only 2 cars in service??

If it's the latter, I'm all the way through with the LIRR... I've never heard of any such thing....

------------------

side note: Not that I frequent JFK airport like that, but IMO, it was funny as f*** two nights ago to see one car in operation during the wee hours of the morning (assuming that was the circulator / Airline terminals only route)

Edited by B35 via Church

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

On myLIRR, it states that train 6153 (11:54 PM from Babylon to Penn) is a 2-car train. I have my suspicions about that, but what's the story with this train? Is a 2-car set a thing anywhere in the system?

Was this between Locust Manor and Jamaica?

11 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Wait... The use of paired couplings within a trainset in general, or the running of only 2 cars in service??

If it's the latter, I'm all the way through with the LIRR... I've never heard of any such thing....

------------------

side note: Not that I frequent JFK airport like that, but IMO, it was funny as f*** two nights ago to see one car in operation during the wee hours of the morning (assuming that was the circulator / Airline terminals only route)

It's the latter. The 'cars' section only listed two cars as well (it was an M7, IIRC, 7801/7802). I want to believe that it's a mistake, but at the same time, I can believe it if it actually was a 2-car train. 

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

Was this between Locust Manor and Jamaica?

No, this was on the Babylon branch itself (I looked at it from Babylon all the way into the Massapequa), and then after Jamaica. In both instances, it mentioned that the train was 2 cars long. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

13 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

It's the latter. The 'cars' section only listed two cars as well (it was an M7, IIRC, 7801/7802). I want to believe that it's a mistake, but at the same time, I can believe it if it actually was a 2-car train. 

12 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

No, this was on the Babylon branch itself (I looked at it from Babylon all the way into the Massapequa), and then after Jamaica. In both instances, it mentioned that the train was 2 cars long. 

Damn, and I thought the measly running of 4 cars on the (G) was bad.....

It's one thing to run entire 8 car trains & locking like half of them from passenger consumption... It's another to simply run 2 whole cars on a particular train in service....

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I was only asking because there was something similar that happened a few days ago, though this was a Far Rockaway train. (I only found out about this because of a friend on Facebook.)

5 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

@BM5 via Woodhaven I've been on trains where only the first 2 car numbers are listed in MyLIRR, but the train is 6 or 8 cars long, is that what you're referring to?

Perhaps. IDK what the story is with that train because I didn't get to see it in person. I was just browsing through, and came across it.