LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

So, this morning, someone was struck by a train on the Babylon branch west of Rockville Center, AND, an overheight vehicle struck an LIRR bridge east of Mastic Shirley. 

Obviously there's hella cancelations right now, but my thing is, can they backtrack service to Babylon, by having trains pick up westbound customers while heading east to Babylon, and have them transfer at Babylon and use diesels to run express to Jamaica via the central branch? 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

So, this morning, someone was struck by a train on the Babylon branch west of Rockville Center, AND, an overheight vehicle struck an LIRR bridge east of Mastic Shirley. 

Obviously there's hella cancelations right now, but my thing is, can they backtrack service to Babylon, by having trains pick up westbound customers while heading east to Babylon, and have them transfer at Babylon and use diesels to run express to Jamaica via the central branch? 

I think at this point, whatever scheduled diesel was east of Babylon would get diverted to Central Branch just to reduce congestion on Babylon branch.  But besides that they prob have a really small spare factor with the diesels so I would be surprised if they would advertise that passengers knowing full well they dont have the equipment nor the crews to operate such services. Most they can do in this instance is prob shuttle between Hicksville and Babylon and tell pax to transfer at Hicksville to EMU’s but it’s really ineffective.

There is no out east spare factor to speak of, generally the Railroad doesn't have extra crews and cars laying around. In order to even have the equipment to do such a thing you would essentially be stealing from scheduled trains. Given that Speonk would be the nearest Diesel terminal there are no crews on duty except the ones for regular service. 

15 hours ago, Jsunflyguy said:

There is no out east spare factor to speak of, generally the Railroad doesn't have extra crews and cars laying around. In order to even have the equipment to do such a thing you would essentially be stealing from scheduled trains. Given that Speonk would be the nearest Diesel terminal there are no crews on duty except the ones for regular service. 

How the LIRR budgets for its diesel service is absolutely ridiculous. They don't have enough trains to run service according to their own guidelines.

There needs to be a plan to bring the entire (or at least the "commuter" portion) of the system to hourly, if not half-hourly service all day.

8 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

How the LIRR budgets for its diesel service is absolutely ridiculous. They don't have enough trains to run service according to their own guidelines.

There needs to be a plan to bring the entire (or at least the "commuter" portion) of the system to hourly, if not half-hourly service all day.

For the low-low price of an east end Diesel facility, 4 extra tracks in Speonk yard, double track to Smithtown you can bring the Diesel Branches to half hourly services. Write you Senator, checks in an unmarked envelope please.

I feel like if they just electrified all of Port Jeff branch, it would help alleviate many issues. Frees up the diesel equipment. Only Oyster Bay and Montauk would need diesel equipment. Heck, I feel they don't even have to double track the damn thing, trains can wait at 2-platform stations if they need to pass through. They could run more service out there. Port Jeff should have one island platform for 2 trains to platform either side. 

If the Oyster Bay and Port Jefferson branches were to be completely electrified and double-tracked, would we have enough electric equipment to make service (or, at the very least, enough to limit diesel use on those branches to improve service east of Babylon and especially Ronkonkoma)?

The entire Port Jeff branch should've been electrified since 2015 earliest...means we're 5 years behind. Should've been electrified with double tracks all the way to Port Jefferson. 

Oyster Bay should've been electrified since 2010. Especially considering how its basically a Port Washington branch in terms of length and its not even that far in terms of needing to divert or be used for other branches. 

The Montauk branch should be electrified to Patchogue, especially since ridership is high enough for that area of stations to become EMU territory. 

Everything east of Patchogue and east of Ronkonkoma should be diesel territory. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888
Fixed need to needing, fixed riders to ridership

On a different note, I would really like to see battery electric trains on the rails, especially since they can drastically expand operations while cutting our reliance on fossil fuels (and the pollution that comes with their use).

Just now, Lawrence St said:

I've never used LIRR before, but I was told that the Atlantic Branch will be a shuttle only soon with trains to/from Hunters Point Av being cancelled?

The Atlantic Branch will indeed become a shuttle, so no more direct service to Atlantic Terminal from points East of Jamaica. My thing is, where are Far Rockaway/Hempstead trains terminating? Jamaica? Or East Side and Penn Station.

I haven't heard anything about trains to Hunters Point Ave being cancelled...

2 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

The Atlantic Branch will indeed become a shuttle, so no more direct service to Atlantic Terminal from points East of Jamaica. My thing is, where are Far Rockaway/Hempstead trains terminating? Jamaica? Or East Side and Penn Station.

I haven't heard anything about trains to Hunters Point Ave being cancelled...

The amount of trains that are east of Jamaica are way to many to be diverted solely to Grand Central & Penn Station. There has to be some rush hour trips continuing to Atlantic Terminal...

15 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The amount of trains that are east of Jamaica are way to many to be diverted solely to Grand Central & Penn Station. There has to be some rush hour trips continuing to Atlantic Terminal...

Don't be so sure, between GCT, NYK, HPA and 4 electrified tracks at LIC it's not beyond imagination that through service to ATL will be done.

16 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The President of the LIRR, Philip Eng said he wanted to look into maintaining some trips to Atlantic Terminal. Nothing has officially changed from the original plans however, which would have the tracks to Brooklyn completely severed from the rest of the network. If you look on the MTA Modern LI portion of the website at the Jamaica Capacity Improvements section, this is a picture from a July 17, 2019 update. It doesn’t seem as if there is any room for the new platform tracks to connect to the existing tracks.Platform-F-Labeled_July-15.jpg

4 hours ago, jaf0519 said:

The President of the LIRR, Philip Eng said he wanted to look into maintaining some trips to Atlantic Terminal. Nothing has officially changed from the original plans however, which would have the tracks to Brooklyn completely severed from the rest of the network. If you look on the MTA Modern LI portion of the website at the Jamaica Capacity Improvements section, this is a picture from a July 17, 2019 update. It doesn’t seem as if there is any room for the new platform tracks to connect to the existing tracks.Platform-F-Labeled_July-15.jpg

It doesn't matter if the new platform tracks don't connect to tracks east oif Jamaica. Tracks on existing platforms will continue to connect to the Atlantic Branch, allowing trains from LI to go to Brooklyn. The Atlantic branch will not be "completely severed" from the rest of the network.

Does anybody know if you can access the NY Central RR Hudson and Chatham Branch Bridge (over the Claverack Creek) in Columbia County? I know that one end is an active industrial track, but since I've seen pictures of people exploring it, I was wondering how they accessed it legally. Anyone know @Jsunflyguy@jaf0519@XcelsiorBoii4888?

Edited by Jova42R

Does anybody know if you can access the NY Central RR Hudson and Chatham Branch Bridge (over the Claverack Creek) in Columbia County? I know that one end is an active industrial track, but since I've seen pictures of people exploring it, I was wondering how they accessed it legally. Anyone know?

On 3/19/2020 at 2:12 AM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

The LIRR seriously needs to shorten the train cars during this drop in ridership. No point in having 12 cars with 6 cars keyed off. Why aren't they running 6 and 8 cars off peak and 8/10 during peak? There should be no 12 car sets at all during this duration. Give the cars a break. 

Then people will just cry that they're being herded in like cattle during Corona virus.