LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

21 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I wonder what caused a whole HALF HOUR to be added to the GCT - NH and GCT - POU runtime!?!

Both of these runs used to be able to be done in a hour and a half, now both take two hours SMH. 

I think just about all MNRR trips are longer now compared to years ago. For starters, trains have to reduce their speeds, especially around turns. That started after that accident by the Spuyten Duyvil station.  It seems as if most trips have a good 5-10 minutes added on at a minimum. Are they making additional stops on the line you're mentioning?

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I think just about all MNRR trips are longer now compared to years ago. For starters, trains have to reduce their speeds, especially around turns. That started after that accident by the Spuyten Duyvil station.  It seems as if most trips have a good 5-10 minutes added on at a minimum. Are they making additional stops on the line you're mentioning?

No new stops on the Upper Hudson line runs (Off peak runs express from Harlem to Tarrytown, then all stops after that) New Haven has two brand new stations that opened in recent years, but I doubt those two extra stops would increase the runtime so much.

11 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

No new stops on the Upper Hudson line runs (Off peak runs express from Harlem to Tarrytown, then all stops after that) New Haven has two brand new stations that opened in recent years, but I doubt those two extra stops would increase the runtime so much.

Wonder if it has anything to do with work being done along the Hudson Line. Some of the trains I have been on have been delayed by about 10 minutes coming from Riverdale.

On 10/13/2020 at 5:25 PM, trainfan22 said:

I wonder what caused a whole HALF HOUR to be added to the GCT - NH and GCT - POU runtime!?!

Both of these runs used to be able to be done in a hour and a half, now both take two hours SMH. 

The express run between NYC and Stamford is padded by as much as 5 minutes northbound, and that's on top of the 5 minute padding they already do at the terminal stops. There's some crazy padding between Fordham and Mt Vernon on the Stamford locals where the trains end up sitting for a couple of minutes as well.

So yea, the trains are not only running at slightly reduced speeds (for safety), but the schedules are also padded by as much as 10 minutes.

Edited by paulrivera

aaaannnndddd that's all folks, the M9s now run like the M7s, just more soundproof and no rattling and squeezing like the M7s. 

I blame the LIRR with their brutal infrastructure, (aggressive switches and rough tracks) and something about their maintenance just gives me piecemeal, and I feel that's because of their operations in rotating cars all the time. You can have a shitty pair with a good pair, and this can vary across 4/6 different pairs on a consist, allowing you to feel everything and how they interact with each other. 

Tbh, I love these cars though, but everything featured on this train should've been a standard M7 spec, and the M9s should've been just additional trains (similar to the R179s) before a majority next generation fleet comes to replace the M7s.

3 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

aaaannnndddd that's all folks, the M9s now run like the M7s, just more soundproof and no rattling and squeezing like the M7s. 

I blame the LIRR with their brutal infrastructure, (aggressive switches and rough tracks) and something about their maintenance just gives me piecemeal, and I feel that's because of their operations in rotating cars all the time. You can have a shitty pair with a good pair, and this can vary across 4/6 different pairs on a consist, allowing you to feel everything and how they interact with each other. 

Tbh, I love these cars though, but everything featured on this train should've been a standard M7 spec, and the M9s should've been just additional trains (similar to the R179s) before a majority next generation fleet comes to replace the M7s.

How do they run like the M7s?

From my experience, they do actually make some subtle squealing which I think will eventually get just as bad as the M7s. I was a little disappointed when hearing it.

I think they're alright. Interior lighting is a bit too strong and the colors gives me hospital vibes.

13 hours ago, brakethrow said:

How do they run like the M7s?

From my experience, they do actually make some subtle squealing which I think will eventually get just as bad as the M7s. I was a little disappointed when hearing it.

I think they're alright. Interior lighting is a bit too strong and the colors gives me hospital vibes.

They don't have that smooth suspension like they had before when I first rode them, and I felt buckling throughout the trip. Don't get me wrong, the suspension is definitely better than the M7s, as well as the amount of rattling and squealing it does, but I can definitely feel a difference from first ride to now, on the same section of track. 

The interior lights are way too bright, especially for a commuter train, would've been nice if they had a dim option. 

On 10/15/2020 at 10:12 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

.....so they don't run like the M7s lmao.

They're still pretty solid to me. I've gotten one set every day this week and they've been pretty damn solid.

Edited by Cait Sith

How prevalent are these M9's? Are they relatively common throughout the system now, or do you have to go hell or high water to catch one?

Yeah, the lighting inside those things do give off hospital/dentist office vibes... That was my exact sentiment when I first seen it from platform level (back when they were doing test runs or whatever).....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

How prevalent are these M9's? Are they relatively common throughout the system now, or do you have to go hell or high water to catch one?

Yeah, the lighting inside those things do give off hospital/dentist office vibes... That was my exact sentiment when I first seen it from platform level (back when they were doing test runs or whatever).....

Let's just say you'll catch one when you least expect it. The M7 fleet is much larger than the M9 fleet by about 8:1 give or take. 

M9s are easy to find at Penn during rush hour. I got an M9 on the Port Wash branch on a Sunday over the summer, and on the Babylon branch on a Saturday without trying, just got lucky.

M3s are the hardest to find as there's only like 30 cars active and they seem to limit their usage as LIRR riders hate them. Out of all the transit agencies in the area, I never seen an ridership base show disdain for equipment like LIRR riders do the M3s. 

Edited by trainfan22

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

So, a rarity.... Thanks.

If you really want to ride them, download the LIRR Traintime app and you can locate one that way. 

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

M3s are the hardest to find as there's only like 30 cars active and they seem to limit their usage as LIRR riders hate them. Out of all the transit agencies in the area, I never seen an ridership base show disdain for equipment like LIRR riders do the M3s. 

Are there still active M3's anymore? I thought they were pretty much all out of service by now. 

19 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

If you really want to ride them, download the LIRR Traintime app and you can locate one that way. 

Are there still active M3's anymore? I thought they were pretty much all out of service by now. 

They took them all out of service when the pandemic started, but brought back a handful of cars when a bunch of M7 & 9's got flat wheels after that tropical storm. 

I haven't seen anything posted anywhere about the small amount of M3 that came back being mothballed again. 

On 10/20/2020 at 3:08 PM, trainfan22 said:

M9s are easy to find at Penn during rush hour. I got an M9 on the Port Wash branch on a Sunday over the summer, and on the Babylon branch on a Saturday without trying, just got lucky.

21 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Those M3s are only used for emergencies, as they don't have the passenger counters to tell you how crowded each train is. That's literally the only reason why they aren't in service. They would've ran them until they can't anymore, but depending on the length of the pandemic and when it's "safe" for people to crowd up on trains, they'll put them in service, 

Those trains are all basically parked up at Hillside Facility. 

Since the Belmont branch will be eliminated due to the stupid plan to build a Elmont station and disregard the already established real estate, can they change the color of the Babylon or Oster Bay Branch? Those shades of green are too identical and purple is wasted, it would go good fitting in with a regular line. 

On 10/20/2020 at 7:11 PM, trainfan22 said:

They took them all out of service when the pandemic started, but brought back a handful of cars when a bunch of M7 & 9's got flat wheels after that tropical storm.

I haven't seen anything posted anywhere about the small amount of M3 that came back being mothballed again. 

On 10/21/2020 at 4:26 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Those M3s are only used for emergencies, as they don't have the passenger counters to tell you how crowded each train is. That's literally the only reason why they aren't in service. They would've ran them until they can't anymore, but depending on the length of the pandemic and when it's "safe" for people to crowd up on trains, they'll put them in service, 

Those trains are all basically parked up at Hillside Facility. 

Actually, the M3s have seen some service here or there, but they are primarily being used as PTC test trains now that the M9s are here.

They've cut some AM and PM trips since September, so they've had no real reason to re-enter service regularly

On 10/20/2020 at 1:57 PM, B35 via Church said:

So, a rarity.... Thanks.

Kinda sorta, there's at least 5-6 in-service sets. Whether they are all in service at the same time or not is another thing.

On 10/23/2020 at 8:08 AM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Since the Belmont branch will be eliminated due to the stupid plan to build a Elmont station and disregard the already established real estate, can they change the color of the Babylon or Oster Bay Branch? Those shades of green are too identical and purple is wasted, it would go good fitting in with a regular line. 

Wait huh?

They want to eliminate the entire Belmont Branch including Belmont Park? why??

On 10/23/2020 at 8:08 AM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

What are you talking about? Is this with regard to Country Clu- er, Staten Isla- uh, Floral Park's eternal bitching and moaning about public transportation?

15 hours ago, Lex said:

What are you talking about? Is this with regard to Country Clu- er, Staten Isla- uh, Floral Park's eternal bitching and moaning about public transportation?

Country Club has every right to complain. The streets are mainly residential. There's almost next to no commercial strips in the area, which is usually where buses run. Having a bus roaring through on narrow residential streets is quite annoying.  The frequencies of every 30 minutes suffice for those who need it, which is mainly seniors and school kids.  Most others have a car with the understanding of how the neighborhood is set up, so if you lived in such an area that was almost all residential, you would understand.

Similar reason why the B3 stopped running into Bergen Beach.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Country Club has every right to complain. The streets are mainly residential. There's almost next to no commercial strips in the area, which is usually where buses run. Having a bus roaring through on narrow residential streets is quite annoying.  The frequencies of every 30 minutes suffice for those who need it, which is mainly seniors and school kids.  Most others have a car with the understanding of how the neighborhood is set up, so if you lived in such an area that was almost all residential, you would understand.

Similar reason why the B3 stopped running into Bergen Beach.

Glad the folks who planned 2 bus routes and 1 commuter rail through my quiet, suburban neighborhood didn't listen to this sentiment. Although most of the US will disagree, Car or not, there is a general need for reliable & convenient public transport at all corners, regardless of how 'annoying' they are.

9 minutes ago, 40MntVrn said:

Glad the folks who planned 2 bus routes and 1 commuter rail through my quiet, suburban neighborhood didn't listen to this sentiment. Although most of the US will disagree, Car or not, there is a general need for reliable & convenient public transport at all corners, regardless of how 'annoying' they are.

That Bx24 serves the community's needs. A bus every 30 minutes does the job. The area is not terribly large to begin with. Country Club is a neighborhood with around 3,500 residents and is almost all residential, where most people have a car. Mount Vernon by comparison is much larger with over 60,000 residents, and a number of commercial and residential strips, where more people don't have a car. No comparison.

22 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That Bx24 serves the community's needs. A bus every 30 minutes does the job. The area is not terribly large to begin with. Country Club is a neighborhood with around 3,500 residents and is almost all residential, where most people have a car. Mount Vernon by comparison is much larger with over 60,000 residents, and a number of commercial and residential strips, where more people don't have a car. No comparison.

30 minutes per route is the fallacy a lot of car-dependent folks hang their hat on.

Anyways.