LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

51 minutes ago, 40MntVrn said:

30 minutes per route is the fallacy a lot of car-dependent folks hang their hat on.

Anyways.

Quite frankly, for such a small area, you don't need more than that. It's more or less a subway feeder that serves a few other places outside of a mainly residential neighborhood.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

So here is how they operated during the transition to standard time: http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/SpecialTT/Daylight Savings Time - November 1, 2020 - Poster.pdf

I appreciate this level of detail in an explanation, even if I read it with a touch of sarcasm. It felt like reading a guide on how to properly put on pants...

Since when did they put up signage along the guardrails at Boland's Landing?

Regular white background, "Boland's Landing" in black letters & in a smaller font size (colored red) directly under it, it says "LIRR Employees Only".....

Edited by B35 via Church

On 11/2/2020 at 2:19 PM, B35 via Church said:

Regular white background, "Boland's Landing" in black letters & in a smaller font size (colored red) directly under it, it says "LIRR Employees Only".....

Within the last few months, because there wasn't any signs there last year. 

On 11/2/2020 at 2:19 PM, B35 via Church said:

Noticed it on the mylirr.org site while tracking some  e/b Atlantic Terminal trains. Seems to be scheduled stops, too, like the Hillside Facility stops are shown. Why now ? That's something I can't figure out. Agency going broke and now you decide to fabricate signs ? 

Anybody know if those two sets of M3s are still stored at Long Beach? if they are, at least one set can be easily photographed from the platforms..

Here's an pic of an M3 from over the summer, I wasn't looking for it, I was in Long Beach for well, the beach lol and the M3 just happened to be there. I was quite happy to see them.

d2lzQzJ.jpg

On 11/10/2020 at 8:24 PM, trainfan22 said:

Anybody know if those two sets of M3s are still stored at Long Beach? if they are, at least one set can be easily photographed from the platforms..

Here's an pic of an M3 from over the summer, I wasn't looking for it, I was in Long Beach for well, the beach lol and the M3 just happened to be there. I was quite happy to see them.

d2lzQzJ.jpg

all i know is that their is one parked at Jamaica

On 11/3/2020 at 8:15 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

Noticed it on the mylirr.org site while tracking some  e/b Atlantic Terminal trains. Seems to be scheduled stops, too, like the Hillside Facility stops are shown. Why now ? That's something I can't figure out. Agency going broke and now you decide to fabricate signs ? 

People getting off there (not knowing any better) thinking it's Jamaica station, perhaps :lol:

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

People getting off there (not knowing any better) thinking it's Jamaica station, perhaps :lol:

Was riding with some coworkers after a class in Downtown Brooklyn. We were just talking with the LIRR engineer and the head Conductor and I mentioned Woodhaven station. The engineer slowed down to let us get a quick look and another rider jumped up with his gear because he thought it was Jamaica. 3:45 pm and this genius thinks that this dark, unlit station is Jamaica ? Dude got mad at us when we busted out laughing. Said he would report us to the Stationmaster at Jamaica because of our unprofessional behavior. TA employees 😁😁😁

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2020 at 12:43 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

Was riding with some coworkers after a class in Downtown Brooklyn. We were just talking with the LIRR engineer and the head Conductor and I mentioned Woodhaven station. The engineer slowed down to let us get a quick look and another rider jumped up with his gear because he thought it was Jamaica. 3:45 pm and this genius thinks that this dark, unlit station is Jamaica ? Dude got mad at us when we busted out laughing. Said he would report us to the Stationmaster at Jamaica because of our unprofessional behavior. TA employees 😁😁😁

If you ever hear Long Islanders talk about Jamaica Station you might be mistaken that they're talking about Iraq.

Anyone else notice that printed LIRR timetables have been "temporarily" eliminated, most likely as a stealth budget cut?

Yet before the pandemic, the MTA somehow had the money to churn out the production of thousands of temporary timetables which were valid for one or two weekends only...

On 11/24/2020 at 5:43 PM, bobtehpanda said:

If you ever hear Long Islanders talk about Jamaica Station you might be mistaken that they're talking about Iraq.

Funny thing is that I live in Suffolk County now and I've heard those " Longuylander"s" comments and I usually smile at them and shake my head. When they ask me why I do that I lower the boom and point out that I, a Brooklynite, have been a Long Islander longer than they or their parents were. When their parents used to take them Christmas and Easter shopping at Jamaica Station or Union Hall St, the stop just East of Jamaica where Gertz and the other department stores were located. Long before Smithaven, Roosevelt Field, Massapequa, and Valley Stream/Green Acres became their shopping centers. I personally think it's an ethnic, racial thing but it annoys me that high school and college students don't know that Long Island runs from the Brooklyn Bridge to Montauk Point and their LIRR was chartered in Brooklyn. The joke is that many of their beloved malls are downsizing so , unless they're embracing online shopping, for the best selection they'd have to pass through Jamaica Station headed west, to Penn Station and Herald Square. From one warzone to another I guess 😄. My observation. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5
additional thought

10 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Funny thing is that I live in Suffolk County now and I've heard those " Longuylander"s" comments and I usually smile at them and shake my head. When they ask me why I do that I lower the boom and point out that I, a Brooklynite, have been a Long Islander longer than they or their parents were. When their parents used to take them Christmas and Easter shopping at Jamaica Station or Union Hall St, the stop just East of Jamaica where Gertz and the other department stores were located. Long before Smithaven, Roosevelt Field, Massapequa, and Valley Stream/Green Acres became their shopping centers. I personally think it's an ethnic, racial thing but it annoys me that high school and college students don't know that Long Island runs from the Brooklyn Bridge to Montauk Point and their LIRR was chartered in Brooklyn. The joke is that many of their beloved malls are downsizing so , unless they're embracing online shopping, for the best selection they'd have to pass through Jamaica Station headed west, to Penn Station and Herald Square. From one warzone to another I guess 😄. My observation. Carry on.

Funny how a lot of suburban Long Islanders hate everything about "the city", except when it comes time to get drunk & loaded with friends/acquaintances & earn a living - Then all of a sudden, it becomes a paradise.

People like Pinepower posts as much youtube videos that he does, showing how dead Mineola & other parts of LI have been (and are) since the crisis... Can't say that I have any qualms or concerns about it.... Now the wives/husbands can stay kooked up with each other's miserable, pretentious asses all day WFH 😄

Edited by B35 via Church

17 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

It is 100% a racial thing, although until relatively recently if you got out of Jamaica Station from the LIRR area or out of the station house you were greeted by a first line of crackheads and junkies. Mostly harmless though, and once you got further than 100 feet from the station Jamaica is fine.

I wouldn't consider it much worse than the shithole that is Penn Station. Though it's definitely never West Coast bad (in that, on a day to day basis, I would consider openly coming across needles or a human in the act of public defecation very rare.)

7 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

It is 100% a racial thing, although until relatively recently if you got out of Jamaica Station from the LIRR area or out of the station house you were greeted by a first line of crackheads and junkies. Mostly harmless though, and once you got further than 100 feet from the station Jamaica is fine.

I wouldn't consider it much worse than the shithole that is Penn Station. Though it's definitely never West Coast bad (in that, on a day to day basis, I would consider openly coming across needles or a human in the act of public defecation very rare.)

I have a few female colleagues that filed complaints about being placed in some of our offices that would require them to go in and out of Penn Station early in the morning and late at night, because they were so fearful of being in Penn Station. They instead took positions in offices that required a Grand Central/MNRR commute because they felt safer going in and out of GCT late at night.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The New Haven line will not be extended to New London. If M8 run on SLE, it will be an separate service from the NH line service. If the NH line got extended to serve SLE stops, the run time would be an whopping three hours!

Plus, who would want to sit on an M8 for three hours? 

Well, I wouldn't be so quick to say this. After all, it would make direct service to/from Grand Central and Penn Station much easier.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 12:53 PM, Lawrence St said:

So since I've been seeing M8's on the SLE, will the New Haven line be extended to SLE or will it just run as a shuttle?

No plans to do any through-running that I'm aware of (beyond the peak-hour SLE trips to Stamford that already exist, anyway). It would just be regular Shore Line East service. I do think the MTA or CTDOT paid a little lip service to the idea of limited through-running in some planning document or other a long time ago, if I'm not misremembering, but I don't remember off the top of my head. There's also SLE platforms and consists being a lot shorter than typical New Haven Line trains to consider as well.

On 12/16/2020 at 1:59 PM, trainfan22 said:

The New Haven line will not be extended to New London. If M8 run on SLE, it will be an separate service from the NH line service. If the NH line got extended to serve SLE stops, the run time would be an whopping three hours!

Plus, who would want to sit on an M8 for three hours? 

Could be even longer - assuming a standard express from NYC to Stamford, then local to New Haven, you'd probably be looking at closer to 3.5 hours from NYC to New London (compared to about 2.5 hours on Amtrak). Granted, making fewer stops like those (former?) peak-hour expresses certainly could cut down the run time. 

On 12/16/2020 at 8:34 PM, Lex said:

Well, I wouldn't be so quick to say this. After all, it would make direct service to/from Grand Central and Penn Station much easier.

I get the appeal of Metro-North/SLE through service, though (and this is definitely getting out of Metro-North territory) I would much rather see Connecticut and Rhode Island complete their plans of bringing SLE and Rhode Island commuter rail service service together at Westerly, RI to help fill in one of the last commuter rail gaps along the Northeast Corridor. Not that either state has devoted much funding to this over the last decade though.

On 12/16/2020 at 9:00 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Before March, was there any weekend service north of Southeast, and if so, how much? 

Scoots between Wassaic and Southeast, typically every two hours. Prior to March 2018, there was also one through train from Wassaic to GCT each day on Saturday and Sunday, though this was discontinued due to track work.