Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

@Via Garibaldi 8 That's exactly our point. The ridership is still way down so it seems unlikely that they will return to the "normal" schedule anytime soon. So for now, this is the schedule that we're referring to when we talk about which stations should be served by the off-peak express trains.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If trains aren't running full, then fewer passengers will be inconvenienced if the express trains make a couple extra stops. Overall ridership will benefit because riders at Yonkers and Marble Hill would have 2 trains per hour instead of 1, which makes a big difference.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 That's exactly our point. The ridership is still way down so it seems unlikely that they will return to the "normal" schedule anytime soon. So for now, this is the schedule that we're referring to when we talk about which stations should be served by the off-peak express trains.

And where is this service supposed to be coming from? I didn't even realize they adjusted the schedules to run more service, which is nuts. I give kudos to Metro-North providing more service when the ridership has only inched up a little bit. I am sure based on this change from September, that they will provide more service as soon as they can, as they are obviously closely tracking ridership.

3 hours ago, Caelestor said:

If trains aren't running full, then fewer passengers will be inconvenienced if the express trains make a couple extra stops. Overall ridership will benefit because riders at Yonkers and Marble Hill would have 2 trains per hour instead of 1, which makes a big difference.

What do you mean IF? Ridership is still down over 80% on most days. https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/ridership

And where is this service coming from? The problem is no one is clear about anything. Two trains an hour from where? You're proposing to increase the commutes of people from areas like Poughkeepsie?  Not sure what the point would be, since a lot of those express trains run just a little before the local trains to and from Croton-Harmon. You'd have to adjust all of the schedules and potentially piss off people that have long enough commutes as it is. I actually just looked at the schedules. They already added back some service when ridership hasn't even gone up 10%, so clearly they are adding back service as they can. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

And where is this service supposed to be coming from? I didn't even realize they adjusted the schedules to run more service, which is nuts. I give kudos to Metro-North providing more service when the ridership has only inched up a little bit. I am sure based on this change from September, that they will provide more service as soon as they can, as they are obviously closely tracking ridership.

What do you mean IF? Ridership is still down over 80% on most days. https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/ridership

And where is this service coming from? The problem is no one is clear about anything. Two trains an hour from where? You're proposing to increase the commutes of people from areas like Poughkeepsie?  Not sure what the point would be, since a lot of those express trains run just a little before the local trains to and from Croton-Harmon. You'd have to adjust all of the schedules and potentially piss off people that have long enough commutes as it is. I actually just looked at the schedules. They already added back some service when ridership hasn't even gone up 10%, so clearly they are adding back service as they can. 

I didn't say anything about adding more service? I said to add those 2 stations to the off-peak express trains (which used to be stops anyway). And you're assuming every single passenger from points north is heading to the East Side of Manhattan. When I went to CCNY, I had classmates who lived in the Hudson Valley who would take Metro-North and the (1) train to get to/from class. (Areas like Ossining, Cold Spring, etc). So for those passengers who transfer to/from the (1) and need the West Side of Manhattan, this is actually saving them time. For Yonkers, being the major hub that it is, you're saving riders time who are heading to/from points north (not to mention whoever is heading towards Manhattan itself).

Yeah, you're right...it sucks to have to take the (1) to a local train and then have to transfer to an express train, as opposed to taking the (1) to the express train directly (which is "long enough")...again not every Metro-North rider is heading to the East Side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I didn't say anything about adding more service? I said to add those 2 stations to the off-peak express trains (which used to be stops anyway). And you're assuming every single passenger from points north is heading to the East Side of Manhattan. When I went to CCNY, I had classmates who lived in the Hudson Valley who would take Metro-North and the (1) train to get to/from class. (Areas like Ossining, Cold Spring, etc). So for those passengers who transfer to/from the (1) and need the West Side of Manhattan, this is actually saving them time. For Yonkers, being the major hub that it is, you're saving riders time who are heading to/from points north (not to mention whoever is heading towards Manhattan itself).

Yeah, you're right...it sucks to have to take the (1) to a local train and then have to transfer to an express train, as opposed to taking the (1) to the express train directly (which is "long enough")...again not every Metro-North rider is heading to the East Side.

I didn't say you did. I said where is the service coming from? How about you answer the question with some specific examples instead of rambling on about Yonkers and your classmates. Don't need to hear about all of that. As I said before, it is obvious that Metro-North is monitoring service, which is why they added some service back back in September. So give me a SPECIFIC train or trains from the CURRENT schedule that you would have stop at Yonkers, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I didn't say you did. I said where is the service coming from? How about you answer the question with some specific examples instead of rambling on about Yonkers and your classmates. Don't need to hear about all of that. As I said before, it is obvious that Metro-North is monitoring service, which is why they added some service back back in September. So give me a SPECIFIC train or trains from the CURRENT schedule that you would have stop at Yonkers, etc.

Every single weekend express train from the current schedule should stop at Yonkers and Marble Hill. That's the only change I would make. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Every single weekend express train from the current schedule should stop at Yonkers and Marble Hill. That's the only change I would make. 

My stance is when there's enough ridership, they'll add back those semi-express trains (at least some of them anyway). The one thing Metro-North has done very well is study ridership trends. On weekends, it is mainly younger folks using the trains, especially the semi-express trains, so as soon as those can come back, they'll add them, even if ridership isn't fully back.  I am shocked they added back some of the semi-express trains during the week a few months ago, so they are watching ridership very carefully.

I'm not necessarily a fan of just making that change without any data, especially when it adds more time to the commutes of folks with longer commutes.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Random thought that came to mind, I wonder why LIRR doesn't implement the City Ticket on weekdays, you'll more than likely see even more people on the RR if they were to implement such a thing.

I also think Metro North should do something like that, but it would extend a little further, for the Hudson Line-Yonkers, NHL-New Rochelle, and the Harlem line could be Fleetwood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.