LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

7 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

They're trimming too much fat off the peak trips but that's where the bulk of the ridership lies, not in off-peak service. Off-peak service is being run at a total loss and they can't expect that trimming off the peak service is gonna help their budget, it'd do the opposite in the long run. People would rather drive-in rather than stand shoulder to shoulder. The sad part is they have the data to know which trips are full and which aren't from the sensors above the door, they can count how many people get on each car and this is true for M7 and M9's mainly. 

On an slightly unrelated note, they've been doing signal work for the whole weekend and today in Mineola and they've been cutting peak trips here and there to reduce the disruption through the area, the trains are packed and riders have been tweeting at the LIRR for their gross incompetence. 

This is just sad... 

I agree about the track work, but those don't sound like permanent cuts. 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

They're trimming too much fat off the peak trips but that's where the bulk of the ridership lies, not in off-peak service. Off-peak service is being run at a total loss and they can't expect that trimming off the peak service is gonna help their budget, it'd do the opposite in the long run. People would rather drive-in rather than stand shoulder to shoulder. The sad part is they have the data to know which trips are full and which aren't from the sensors above the door, they can count how many people get on each car and this is true for M7 and M9's mainly. 

Off-peak service is actually cheaper to provide than peak service because peak service determines the maximum amount of people being hired, trains being run, etc.

Off-peak service is run with equipment and people already on hand.

Does LIRR do split shifts for peak services during normal times?

How come the google departure board for New York Penn isn't available anymore? Google "Grand Central Terminal" on your phone, its departures show up, do the same for Hoboken Terminal, same thing. Google New York Penn Station and no departures, they use to be on there but for some reason google doesn't have NYP departures anymore..

Sucks, as it showed departures for all three railroads out of that station along with each stop they made, used to love to use that google departure board to plan trips.

Edited by trainfan22

If the LIRR does not begin to reinstate services cut when the city begins to rebound, they should expect to lose a lot of riders that would otherwise resume using the railroad once many jobs shift back to non-remote. Similarly, with the level of evening service reduction and the eroding perception of safety at Penn Station, capturing riders heading to and from cultural events in the city might become nigh-impossible.

I know it's an unpopular opinion on this board, but the MTA (and the city as a whole) needs to crack down on the homeless in a manner that will make Giuliani and Bloomberg look like weaklings if they want to get LIRR riders back.

Edited by 67thAve

1 hour ago, 67thAve said:

If the LIRR does not begin to reinstate services cut when the city begins to rebound, they should expect to lose a lot of riders that would otherwise resume using the railroad once many jobs shift back to non-remote. Similarly, with the level of evening service reduction and the eroding perception of safety at Penn Station, capturing riders heading to and from cultural events in the city might become nigh-impossible.

I know it's an unpopular opinion on this board, but the MTA (and the city as a whole) needs to crack down on the homeless in a manner that will make Giuliani and Bloomberg look like weaklings if they want to get LIRR riders back.

Don't worry. The progressives will take care of it! De Blasio is super busy making this City the most equity based one it can be, hence the increase in the homeless population.

I noticed this last week but haven't posted it since I'm not on here too often. Last week my ETix app updated, and it now shows the entire barcode along with your ticket all on one screen. Also, your ticket must be activated for a full 60secs before inspection to avoid having it scanned. The little golden arrows next to the barcode alerts conductors to scan it. I still think this makes absolutely no sense for them to scan it when the LIVE Date and Time is right in their faces (everything is flashing by the way, barcode, date, and time). To avoid having it scanned, make sure its activated for a full 60 seconds before they inspect tickets. I don't normally activate my ticket until I board the train and sit down, but due to this update I had my ticket scanned twice, but now I activate as soon as I step onto the train (unless its Penn Station and I arrive early before departure).

MTA-ETix-Update.jpg

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

8 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I noticed this last week but haven't posted it since I'm not on here too often. Last week my ETix app updated, and it now shows the entire barcode along with your ticket all on one screen. Also, your ticket must be activated for a full 60secs before inspection to avoid having it scanned. The little golden arrows next to the barcode alerts conductors to scan it. I still think this makes absolutely no sense for them to scan it when the LIVE Date and Time is right in their faces (everything is flashing by the way, barcode, date, and time). To avoid having it scanned, make sure its activated for a full 60 seconds before they inspect tickets. I don't normally activate my ticket until I board the train and sit down, but due to this update I had my ticket scanned twice, but now I activate as soon as I step onto the train (unless its Penn Station and I arrive early before departure).

MTA-ETix-Update.jpg

They did this to avoid anyone trying to scam the system, along with the people that BS and make a whole song and dance about having their ticket activated or buying one.  It holds them up from checking other tickets and it means that some people continue to ride for free.  We had this a few weekends ago when I was going to the City. Conductor was checking tickets. Lady made a whole song and dance about her ticket. We went almost three stops before she actually paid with people getting on and off the train, some of whom I'm sure rode for free.

You may think that everything looks fine, but you'd be surprised at the scams people pull off. There was a huge scam with monthly tickets not too long ago, either on LIRR, MNRR or NJ Transit, and the railroads have to eat those costs, or pass them on via fare hikes, so I am totally fine with them taking extra measures to ensure that all tickets (e-tickets or the traditional ones) are legitimate ones.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

I dunno...I prefer having them scan it either way, it ensures that everyone has a legitimate ticket. Make it seem more official than just presenting it and some conductors barely even care lol

They're taking it much more seriously than before. If they have a scanner, they are required to make sure that they use it. I think they have been cracking down to ensure that they are maximizing ticket collection.

The scanner doesn't work on my phone, whenever a C/R tries to scan the etix, it doesn't go though and the C/R eventually moves on.

I don't do anything to try and beat the system, perhaps my phone has too many fingerprints or something. It's very puzzling to me. 

This has happened to me on both LIRR and MN... and the scanner worked on other passengers. 

Edited by trainfan22

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

The scanner doesn't work on my phone, whenever a C/R tries to scan the etix, it doesn't go though and the C/R eventually moves on.

I don't do anything to try and beat the system, perhaps my phone has too many fingerprints or something. It's very puzzling to me. 

This has happened to me on both LIRR and MN... and the scanner worked on other passengers. 

Have you tried increasing your screen brightness? Sometimes, it works sometimes it doesn't. It might also be a problem with a dark screen protector.

5 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

I dunno...I prefer having them scan it either way, it ensures that everyone has a legitimate ticket. Make it seem more official than just presenting it and some conductors barely even care lol

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They're taking it much more seriously than before. If they have a scanner, they are required to make sure that they use it. I think they have been cracking down to ensure that they are maximizing ticket collection.

I don't mind the scanner, but if it's really that serious then they should just change the rule to make them scan ALL ETix. I don't understand the logic behind ONLY scanning a recently activated ticket. 

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They did this to avoid anyone trying to scam the system, along with the people that BS and make a whole song and dance about having their ticket activated or buying one.  It holds them up from checking other tickets and it means that some people continue to ride for free.  We had this a few weekends ago when I was going to the City. Conductor was checking tickets. Lady made a whole song and dance about her ticket. We went almost three stops before she actually paid with people getting on and off the train, some of whom I'm sure rode for free.

You may think that everything looks fine, but you'd be surprised at the scams people pull off. There was a huge scam with monthly tickets not too long ago, either on LIRR, MNRR or NJ Transit, and the railroads have to eat those costs, or pass them on via fare hikes, so I am totally fine with them taking extra measures to ensure that all tickets (e-tickets or the traditional ones) are legitimate ones.

I really would love to hear the excuses because all the proof is in the LIVE ETix app. I was on the Babylon branch leaving Wantagh, conductor walks to check recently boarded tickets. Lady ends up causing a scene (I missed the beginning because it wasn't escalated at that point and I had my headphones on). Once I heard her yell, I looked up and paused my headphones, she was yelling that the conductor put his hands on her to force her to show the ETix, she refused to show the ticket again saying that "I showed my phone before it died and he forced himself to grab the phone out my hand". But before she said that, they were arguing and the conductor went to the last car and there was an undercover cop who came and that's when she explained. Eventually the cop was saying to show the conductor your ticket, the conductor was calling the lady a liar and that "there's cameras on the train, I will win." This continued from just east of Wantagh all the way to Massapequa Park, before I decided to walk down the train a little to exit. I really don't get some people. 

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Back in Fall 2019 when I would get scanned like once a month, the scanners were having issues with my phone as well (I have a privacy screen). This was the first time I got scanned since I started riding again in September 2020, and it worked perfect both times. I'd suggest increasing the brightness, fingerprints shouldn't be an issue (excessive cracks are an issue though).   

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

The LIRR is being shit on for cutting too much peak service after pics surfaced on social media of packed trains this morning. I can't say they don't deserve all the flack they are getting.

They claim they will add more service today and tomorrow to accommodate the crowds.

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

The LIRR is being shit on for cutting too much peak service after pics surfaced on social media of packed trains this morning. I can't say they don't deserve all the flack they are getting.

Ronkonkoma line has hour headways during the PM rush, yikes!

3 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Ronkonkoma line has hour headways during the PM rush, yikes!

When MNRR made cuts to our service, it was hourly most of the day and half hour for rush hour service, but the trains were not overcrowded as a result, at least on the Hudson Line. The LIRR just did a poor job of gauging ridership. They claimed they had ways to track ridership and based the cuts on that, and it was clearly inaccurate. Eng seems to be incapable of overseeing such basic things.

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They claim they will add more service today and tomorrow to accommodate the crowds.

According to their twitter, what thee mean is a grand total of 2 trains. One AM from KO at 4:50AM making no stops until Farmingdale, and one in the PM hours at 4:39PM I believe

Metro North had it better with still decent rush hour peak/reverse peak service, while the LIRR went full on into a weekend schedule.

Edited by Mtatransit

50 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

According to their twitter, what thee mean is a grand total of 2 trains. One AM from KO at 4:50AM making no stops until Farmingdale, and one in the PM hours at 4:39PM I believe

Metro North had it better with still decent rush hour peak/reverse peak service, while the LIRR went full on into a weekend schedule.

That's nonsense. They're claiming that the overcrowding was isolated. Seemed like every LIRR train was overcrowded and packed.

There's a dual mode run from Penn to Speonk that departs at 2:37PM, goes via the main line and stops at Mineola and Hicksville. A little early to have an dual mode run as they usually only use them during rush hours. I gotta fan that run one of these days. All of my dual mode rides have been from Penn to Jamaica, never felt like riding far into LI as they usually run late in the day.

I always wanted off peak DM service on the LIRR like MN has with the Hudson line, yea its only one run but its better than nothing...

Damn, they got rid of all those early (reverse) AM peak trains leaving Atlantic Terminal before 6am....

When I used to work in LI, that first train was the 5:12 Far Rockaway (which was usually the train I took, since it connected with that first Ronkonkoma train that made a stop at Mineola), then the next train was a 5:28 Long Beach (which went nonstop to Jamaica from Atlantic Terminal), then after that one was the 5:51 West Hempstead....

Some time either late last year or early this year, they still kept the 5:12 Far Rockaway - but got rid of the 5:51 West Hempstead, to have that 5:28 Long Beach train leave 1 minute earlier & run locally b/w Atlantic Terminal & Jamaica (meaning, serving Nostrand av. & East New York)...

Now both those 5:12 Far Rockaway & 5:27 Long Beach trains have been eliminated, and the first AM peak train leaving Atlantic Terminal is a 6:23 am Far Rockaway train... After that, is a 6:45am Long Beach train.....

To sum it up, it appears that (reverse) AM peak service out of Atlantic Terminal resembles weekend service.....

22 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Damn, they got rid of all those early (reverse) AM peak trains leaving Atlantic Terminal before 6am....

When I used to work in LI, that first train was the 5:12 Far Rockaway (which was usually the train I took, since it connected with that first Ronkonkoma train that made a stop at Mineola), then the next train was a 5:28 Long Beach (which went nonstop to Jamaica from Atlantic Terminal), then after that one was the 5:51 West Hempstead....

Some time either late last year or early this year, they still kept the 5:12 Far Rockaway - but got rid of the 5:51 West Hempstead, to have that 5:28 Long Beach train leave 1 minute earlier & run locally b/w Atlantic Terminal & Jamaica (meaning, serving Nostrand av. & East New York)...

Now both those 5:12 Far Rockaway & 5:27 Long Beach trains have been eliminated, and the first AM peak train leaving Atlantic Terminal is a 6:23 am Far Rockaway train... After that, is a 6:45am Long Beach train.....

To sum it up, it appears that (reverse) AM peak service out of Atlantic Terminal resembles weekend service.....

During the PM rush in the peak direction Atlantic Terminal pretty much has weekend service, hourly headways on Hempstead and Far Rock lines, all those rush hour specials for Babylon/Long Beach/West Hempstead out of Atlantic Terminal are all gone.

The LIRR cuts are nothing but pure austerity. This doesn't make any sense when the TA is getting more needed money on the way. Odd how this isn't happening to Metro-North. They can't keep pretending that ridership is gonna stay down forever. Regular service has to be provided at some point. 

Unrelated to the new LIRR schedules, but the LIRR Train Time app is amazing. Literally the pandemic caused them to expedite and provide so much info for passengers. As a enthusiast, it would be nice if you can filter all Babylon trains in service, all Long Beach trains, filter by various fleet type (although there's only two so that's irrelevant), etc. However, and I assume it's already in the makings, the one thing that would perfect this app and put it above and behind would be to provide exit locations along the station platforms to show what car aligns near the exit of your choice, preferably with a little reference. For example, if the exit leads you to a street, a subway station, bus terminal or park and ride.