LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Male shot dead inside the train in Long Island
The SCPD reported a male was shot dead in Long Island. This is by the Ronkonkoma LIRR station. It happened around 1:45am. The crime scene was inside one of the train where the male shot was found. The suspect took off when it stopped at the station. The conductor heard the gunshot and alerted police. Ongoing investigation.

7 hours ago, Joyjliradio said:

Male shot dead inside the train in Long Island
The SCPD reported a male was shot dead in Long Island. This is by the Ronkonkoma LIRR station. It happened around 1:45am. The crime scene was inside one of the train where the male shot was found. The suspect took off when it stopped at the station. The conductor heard the gunshot and alerted police. Ongoing investigation.

Perhaps now you understand what I was saying in the Subway thread. There's no difference in crime in Suffolk, Nassau, or NYC. Subway, bus, LIRR. Same crimes but different locations. Just my opinion. Your opinion may be different. Carry on.

15 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Perhaps now you understand what I was saying in the Subway thread. There's no difference in crime in Suffolk, Nassau, or NYC. Subway, bus, LIRR. Same crimes but different locations. Just my opinion. Your opinion may be different. Carry on.

This state is high crime rates, thank bail reforms.,  crime is getting worse 

@paulrivera Didn't you take LIRR from Penn to Brooklyn via Jamaica to avoid using the subway due to crime, well looks like there was a shooting on the LIRR.

Surprised one wouldn't feel safe on the (4) line, during the daytime hours it's one of the safest lines cause of how busy it is so the odds of becoming a victim of crime on that line is low IMO.

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

@paulrivera Didn't you take LIRR from Penn to Brooklyn via Jamaica to avoid using the subway due to crime, well looks like there was a shooting on the LIRR.

Surprised one wouldn't feel safe on the (4) line, during the daytime hours it's one of the safest lines cause of how busy it is so the odds of becoming a victim of crime on that line is low IMO.

In the Bronx I'm good because I know the (4) line like the back of my hand. You don't really see suspicious looking people hanging out on the platforms. Also, that LIRR shooting was in the middle of the night and was a targeted crime, not a random attack.

(4) line in Manhattan.... I'm not there yet.

LIRR is cross honoring this weekend between Penn and Jamaica so if anybody wanna ride the Bi Level trains powered by the DM30 for free, this is your chance.

Just make sure to have the Subway (E) train G.O loaded on your phone in case the C/R thinks you're lying about the cross honoring.

Did a round from Penn to Jamaica and back, dual mode each way. Was cool to be on an Dual Mode that stopped at Woodside. Most if not all diesel/dual mode runs skip Woodside.

15 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

LIRR is cross honoring this weekend between Penn and Jamaica so if anybody wanna ride the Bi Level trains powered by the DM30 for free, this is your chance.

Just make sure to have the Subway (E) train G.O loaded on your phone in case the C/R thinks you're lying about the cross honoring.

Did a round from Penn to Jamaica and back, dual mode each way. Was cool to be on an Dual Mode that stopped at Woodside. Most if not all diesel/dual mode runs skip Woodside.

If you would like to pay for the pleasure train 2742, 6.28pm NYK-SPK stops at Woodside. 

On 2/16/2022 at 4:01 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

Hey now, there is a difference.

You get to pay an arm and a leg for the privilege on the LIRR.

Notice how they don't even mention the cheaper ticket programs. (For example, one-way off-peak Zone 1 - Zone 1 or Zone 1 - Zone 3 are still listed as $6.50 and $7.75 respectively, despite the $5 CityTicket being valid during all off-peak periods). And of course, the Atlantic Ticket prices are nowhere to be found.

48 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Notice how they don't even mention the cheaper ticket programs. (For example, one-way off-peak Zone 1 - Zone 1 or Zone 1 - Zone 3 are still listed as $6.50 and $7.75 respectively, despite the $5 CityTicket being valid during all off-peak periods). And of course, the Atlantic Ticket prices are nowhere to be found.

Their excuse is probably because they're "pilot programs".

6 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

5 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Their excuse is probably because they're "pilot programs".

That and they want to milk all the sheep that don't know about it.

28 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Do you think that the MTA will create/allow Joint LIRR - MNRR tickets after east side access opens? 

Some possible examples:

Fordham - Jamaica

Mineola - White Plains

While were on this topic, I wonder if the MTA will reprogram the TVM currently at GCT where you can buy both LIRR and MN tickets from the same machine.

Any LIRR station to Yankees - E153rd would be an good combo ticket as there's a lot of Yankee fans on LI.

On 3/1/2022 at 4:53 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

I mean this is an agency that allowed you to buy peak tickets throughout the pandemic, and even keeping a big warning in the app telling you when off peak tickets are not accepted well into 2020

It would make way too much sense to simplify the tariffs for the commuter railroads, but the (MTA) would prefer you try to comprehend which ticket is the best ticket you should buy when going from Atlantic Terminal to Rosedale:

Peak

Off Peak

CityTickets with minimal explanation

Atlantic Tickets, which is the same as CityTicket except it allows you on peak trains

I swear the railroad is begging you to just press peak/off peak and ignore the other options. For a while I believe the MTA had AT under deal and packages, not sure if they moved that now

Edited by Mtatransit

19 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

I mean this is an agency that allowed you to buy peak tickets throughout the pandemic, and even keeping a big warning in the app telling you when off peak tickets are not accepted well into 2020

It would make way too much sense to simplify the tariffs for the commuter railroads, but the (MTA) would prefer you try to comprehend which ticket is the best ticket you should buy when going from Atlantic Terminal to Rosedale:

Peak

Off Peak

CityTickets with minimal explanation

Atlantic Tickets, which is the same as CityTicket except it allows you on peak trains

I swear the railroad is begging you to just press peak/off peak and ignore the other options. For a while I believe the MTA had AT under deal and packages, not sure if they moved that now

It's the same agency that thinks everybody wants to get from Nassau or Suffolk to Midtown Manhattan and nowhere else; how they became this out of touch, I don't know.

I wonder if Prendergast ever even took a LIRR train while he ran that division.  Mindless, out-of-touch, Manhattan-centric beancounters.  That's all him and his executive team at the railroad ever were.

Apparently the MNRR employees don't know that CityTicket launched earlier this week for off-peak service.  I decided to use it this morning to get into Grand Central. Train wasn't crowded at all coming from Riverdale and the conductor that originally checked my e-ticket nodded his head and then came back and asked me if that was actually a CityTicket and I told him that the program just started earlier this week. He had no idea. lol

I may make this a regular thing when I need Grand Central since they are restoring a lot of trains later this month on the Hudson Line.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 3/2/2022 at 8:02 PM, N6 Limited said:

Do you think that the MTA will create/allow Joint LIRR - MNRR tickets after east side access opens? 

Some possible examples:

Fordham - Jamaica

Mineola - White Plains

I read on Twitter that they were looking into it, it was through a reply on either the Metro-North or LIRR Twitter page (I cant recall which one)