LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been trying to find this info everywhere but how can I find out online what times all of the entrances open and close to Grand Central?

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/stations/station_detail.cfm?key=1

All the way at the bottom.  The open time isn't really accurate as the doors generally get unlocked at 5:15.  This isn't an issue as the first train doesn't depart until 5:35.

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/stations/station_detail.cfm?key=1

All the way at the bottom.  The open time isn't really accurate as the doors generally get unlocked at 5:15.  This isn't an issue as the first train doesn't depart until 5:35.

Yeah but that's not representative of all of the entrances though is it?  I know they all have different times.  For example, the entrance at 245 Park has different hours than the entrance on 45th and Vanderbilt.

Does that go into Grand Central North? 

If so, on the public timetables it lists Grand Central North's hours as Monday thru Friday from 6:30 am to 9:30 pm.  This covers 230 Park Ave (east and west walks - 45th st), 47th and Madison and 48th and Park.

Does that go into Grand Central North? 

If so, on the public timetables it lists Grand Central North's hours as Monday thru Friday from 6:30 am to 9:30 pm.  This covers 230 Park Ave (east and west walks - 45th st), 47th and Madison and 48th and Park.

Yeah it's one of the entrances that I believe takes you underground to avoid the elements during bad weather.  The Vanderbilt and 45th street entrance does the same thing and there are several others that I've used like that in Grand Central.    I'm shocked that it says 21:30 because I know the 45th street entrance closes much earlier than that.

While I have no preference over the two for fanning, I would much rather want to deal with the M7's on a daily basis, unless commuting from the end of a good non-stop stretch.

I used to commute by M7 daily for a couple months. The cars were noisy and rode very roughly, especially over switches and if you're not in the center of the car (between vestibules). Even then, the ride wasn't as good as the corresponding location on a C3. By unfortunate coincidence, that means most of the standing room in the car isn't smooth. The electrics have middle seats, while diesels don't. There's also no gasket (?) between A-ends of M7's, so when walking between pairs in the rain you'll get wet.

The downside with diesels is their poor reliability and limited service, but they don't have any of the problems mentioned above, at least in my experience.

Edited by Amtrak7

I have no idea how the C3's are but it's a fact that *most* modern diesels are noisier than modern electric trains. Maybe the C3's are an exception to that.

From the point of view of someone on the platform, that would be true. From that of someone in the train, the C3's are an exception.

Well, the DE/DM engines are the noisy things...instead of having a smaller motor on each car you have one huge one on the end.  The C3's themselves are unpowered, so you don't hear the traction motors or propulsions whining before and after every stop.

For the most part, conventional coaches are heavier, smoother riding, and quieter than MU's.

The main problem with the C3's is that there is simply not enough of them.  If there were more C3's we wouldn't have people crush loaded into them and making them hot, smelly, cattle cars.  I commute every day on them, and the cars are as comfortable as can be--so long as it isn't Friday or Sunday.

I commute every day on them, and the cars are as comfortable as can be--so long as it isn't Friday or Sunday.

(or Mondays—unless I absolutely had to be there 8min earlier I took 613 or 2309 on summer Mondays, avoiding 2703 as much as possible!)

(or Mondays—unless I absolutely had to be there 8min earlier I took 613 or 2309 on summer Mondays, avoiding 2703 as much as possible!)

I'm quite fond of 2705 on Summer Monday's. It normally isn't all that crowded and I get to sleep in later. But it only goes to HPA, so I would have a longer walk, but it's worth it anyways)

I'm amazed that those picking favorites in the M7 vs diesel debate overlooked the obvious. The M cars, all of them on the LIRR, are useless in snow or blackout conditions. A pure diesel on the other hand..................

Sure. Because picking which train you find more *comfortable* is based on weather conditions. Seats are gettings less comfortable and the noise is a drama on the M7s when there is snow. [/sarcasm]

Btw, the scenarios you described are a common problem with most modern electric trains in general (and yes, even catanary isnt *the* answer).

Edited by Vistausss

Tomorrow is the last day you'll be able to use Melrose and Tremont station. They're closing down on Monday and getting replaced with shuttle buses to Fordham!

I predict these shuttle buses are going to disappear as well, and eventually riders will be told to take the Bx41 SBS (possibly with some kind of free transfer deal made with NYCT) and Melrose & Tremont will become the next Morrisania and Claremont Park.

Tomorrow is the last day you'll be able to use Melrose and Tremont station. They're closing down on Monday and getting replaced with shuttle buses to Fordham!

I predict these shuttle buses are going to disappear as well, and eventually riders will be told to take the Bx41 SBS (possibly with some kind of free transfer deal made with NYCT) and Melrose & Tremont will become the next Morrisania and Claremont Park.

Permanently?