LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/1/2023 at 6:11 PM, Lawrence St said:

Regarding West Side Access for MNRR, they really really really need to look at an alternative way of adding Astoria to the New Haven Line. That is a gigantic missed opportunity. 

Yes they could build that station right on top of Ditmars Blvd, connect an elevator that goes to the subway platform and out into the street 

On 1/1/2023 at 2:05 AM, checkmatechamp13 said:

For the shuttle itself, the question is will the operation of the shuttle interfere with whatever work is going on at the terminal? If the work is on the track and workers have to clear up every time a shuttle train comes in, and it'll take longer to get it fully functional, then don't run the shuttle. If it's work that is just behind some boarded-up area that customers will have to stay out of while it is going on, then I don't see an issue running the shuttle. (The only question is, how crowded will that shuttle be if it's only once per hour during rush hour, and what impact will that have on passenger perception of the new terminal?)

Spot on.

What happens if there is a sweeping shift in commute patterns and there are more people willing to take the shuttle than what the 1-hour headways can provide in terms of capacity? If the answer is add more service...you get where I'm going...

I get the idea of using the shuttles as a 'soft-launch' (I did a lot of those during my retail days--they are incredibly helpful) but, IMO, the soft-launch window should have been full service during the 2 weeks leading up to the holidays when passenger volume was lower but was still large enough for a shake test. Whatever results from this limited shuttle will not paint an accurate picture.

On 12/23/2022 at 11:55 AM, Lawrence St said:

Why is Wassaic listed as a branch line even though it’s part of the Harlem line?

Because it is a shuttle. It is like how the Ronkonkoma and Greenport Branch are separated. Same goes with Port Jeff/Huntington and Babylon/Montauk.

On 12/1/2022 at 12:46 AM, Lawrence St said:

So basically, they spent close to $20 mil to overhaul Belmont Park...just to abandon it…for easier operations? If that was the case then why overhaul Belmont Park at all, hell close it down then.

The LIRR doesn't like running Belmont Park shuttles because they have to shut down the Hempstead branch to do it since the curve is 5 MPH... Elmont streamlines operations and allows more trains to serve the stadium. It is much more reasonable to build a station on the ML than shutting down an entire branch.

On 1/5/2023 at 8:54 PM, Lawrence St said:

Did they give up on doing the battery powered M7 test?

On 1/5/2023 at 8:56 PM, xD4nn said:

Yes they have... It was announced months ago... 

That was dumb as hell just electrify the rest of the lines and double track other places 

Also while im here who seen this 

They think its pathetic spending. Kind of have a point

18 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

That was dumb as hell just electrify the rest of the lines and double track other places 

Also while im here who seen this 

They think it’s pathetic spending. Kind of have a point

1. There is not enough money to electrify the whole system.

2. Environmental conditions prevent electrification.

3. There is no point…

20 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Anyone else think that (MTA) abandoning the Beacon Line is a huge mistake? If I’m not mistaken, the Beacon Line served as a critical connection during Sandy, Ida, and a lot of other rain storms that washed out Danbury & New Cannan.

There is no point of the Beacon line anymore plus they ripped up all the tracks.

On 1/10/2023 at 9:58 PM, 7-express said:

Looks like the $5 CityTicket will be expanded to 24/7 within city limits sometime in the future: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-hochul-announces-public-transit-expansions-increase-access-affordability-and-safety

It says “for a modest premium”.  I’m assuming it will be less than $5 more than the current City Ticket price.

1 hour ago, N6 Limited said:

It says “for a modest premium”.  I’m assuming it will be less than $5 more than the current City Ticket price.

Wouldn't make sense considering that the current peak hour city zone fare from Penn Station to anywhere in Queens is $10.75.

It'll probably match the off-peak fare at $7.75.

Edited by Cait Sith

19 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Wouldn't make sense considering that the current peak hour city zone fare from Penn Station to anywhere in Queens is $10.75.

It'll probably match the off-peak fare at $7.75.

I can see that happening. To clarify, I meant $0.25 - 4 more than current City Ticket. Being that $5 would be too much.

3 hours ago, NBTA said:

They’ve covered every LIRR signage in Grand Central.

Yeah something’s going on. If they’re wasting time and money covering up the LIRR signs, that thing won’t be open for another 6-8 months 😂😂😂.

On another note, yesterday a lot of trains kept getting late from the amount of crowds getting to Elmont-USB. The rational for refusing to run Belmont Park service is starting to become an issue. Select trains were 15-20 minutes late yesterday from the crowds.

8 minutes ago, IAlam said:

I wonder if they're fully installing PTC before they open it this time, since they missed the deadline there's no reason to rush and start the shuttle.

PTC is already installed, it’s just a software update on the DE/DM 30 AC locomotives, Multilevel Cab cars that will prevent them from entering the tunnels