Tokyo Metro 1000 Series Debut! 4/11/12

exseed

Today, on April 11, the new 1000 series, built by Nippon Sharyo, began revenue service on Tokyo Metro's Ginza Line, the oldest subway line in Tokyo and all of Japan. The new car's yellow and maroon exterior is styled after the first cars that used the subway, also called the 1000 series, when it opened in 1927. The new 1000 series also employs new technologies such as energy-saving permanent magnet synchronous motors, or PMSMs. The car also ditches the usual fluorescent tube lighting in favor of 100% LED lighting, resulting in further energy savings. In line with the subway's recent rolling stock, the spaces above each door feature two 17-inch LCD screens, one that shows ads and another that shows relevant subway ride information. Here are some videos from the debut event:

I really love that propulsion sound! The motors are similar to that of the Tokyo Metro's 16000 series (built by Kawasaki) which came out in November 2010. As much an affinity as I have for Kawasaki for the R142A, R143, R160B, 9000 series, and my favorite, the 16000 series, I can have two favorite subway cars right? lol

• 2 months later...

Archived