Train Status before entering the Subway

Far Rock Depot

IMG_00000042.jpgSo I get out from work in the afternoon and as I cross 7th Ave, I'm noticing a new feature with the advertisement screen above the entrance to the northbound IRT. There was a scrolling marquee along the bottom showing current local status! This is new at this stop and I'm not sure if there are others or when this began. If anyone knows, please put me on to this news.

What would also help is noting the arrivals of the next few trains. Especially late nights. If you know you have to wait 20 mins for the next (F) you might walk around longer or get something to eat, etc. Something that can fit in that same banner, for example:

[ (A)FarRock: 1min ---- (E) Jamaica: 7 mins ]

A similar thing was out in S.I when I was out there a few days ago. It's not exactly the same thing but here it is.

524326_10150934582949348_689259347_12965221_1080745582_n.jpg

Eltingville Transit Center using the bustime technology to track down buses that are arriving. It's about time something like this was out there!

Yep, they have been placing them in a lot of major stops... Heres one at 14th & 6th:

A similar thing was out in S.I when I was out there a few days ago. It's not exactly the same thing but here it is.

Eltingville Transit Center using the bustime technology to track down buses that are arriving. It's about time something like this was out there!

Thats been there for 2 months. Seen in in Feb. But looks good! To bad, bus stops can't get mini screens to tell when the next bus is coming, rather then using the phone or timetable. Seen them in Providence once.

524326_10150934582949348_689259347_12965221_1080745582_n.jpg

Folks keep complaining about how inaccurate Bus Time and the countdown clocks are in some cases though. I was in Grand Central around 13:45 or so today and the countdown clock said something like 13 mins for an express train which is insane and I had already been waiting a few minutes. A few months back there was certainly a problem at the Bowling Green station. The countdown clock kept throwing out information... Train in 0 mins, then it jumped to 7 mins and then some ridiculous number. If the train is delayed as was the case at Bowling Green, they would be better off putting something else people were pissed because no trains were coming and we kept getting inaccurate information, so folks didn't know if they should wait, or leave and take a taxi.

Yep, they have been placing them in a lot of major stops... Heres one at 14th & 6th:

Thats been there for 2 months. Seen in in Feb. But looks good! To bad, bus stops can't get mini screens to tell when the next bus is coming, rather then using the phone or timetable. Seen them in Providence once.

I think the issue with the bus stops may be cost... I've seen them going back to 2004 in Bologna when I lived in Italy. It showed you where the bus was and how many minutes you had until the bus arrived and the time, so you didn't have a need for a cell phone which was great.

Folks keep complaining about how inaccurate Bus Time and the countdown clocks are in some cases though. I was in Grand Central around 13:45 or so today and the countdown clock said something like 13 mins for an express train which is insane and I had already been waiting a few minutes. A few months back there was certainly a problem at the Bowling Green station. The countdown clock kept throwing out information... Train in 0 mins, then it jumped to 7 mins and then some ridiculous number. If the train is delayed as was the case at Bowling Green, they would be better off putting something else people were pissed because no trains were coming and we kept getting inaccurate information, so folks didn't know if they should wait, or leave and take a taxi.

True true....

During FASTRACK the countdown clock had no idea what was going on...

I'm just worried about vandalism. Some neighborhoods will probably never get it.

This tech has good potential for displaying other information like reroutes, where to walk for shuttle bus or alternative service, and the time of arrival for the next train.

Cool, perhaps they can use that as leverage for advertising rates. If riders know service information will be on the screen, they will be more likely to look at it. (Can't say they WILL because we all know they don't read the "Planned Service Changes" posters.)

I believe they need to find a way to consolidate the information, it takes too long to cycle through all lines that serve a station, . In the case of that particular video, all it had to say was [ (F)(L)(M)(1)(2)(3) Good Service All lines ] Or something like that

Maybe the MTA can get CEMUSA to pay for small screens at their bus shelters.

Archived