Comet I and 1B car question.

Charleston

I would guess under 30 in service. I think MNRR might have plans to take them off of (NJT)'s hands for use on west of hudson service only.

- Andy

Comet Is might be going somewhere else actually for leasing or sold off last I heard.

Hell, I already see Comet Is on West of Hudson MNRR lines.

Comet Is might be going somewhere else actually for leasing or sold off last I heard.

Hell, I already see Comet Is on West of Hudson MNRR lines.

I would not be shocked if they converted them to flatbeds or crew work cars, or had a few parked in morisville or elsewhere in case a revenue train gets disabled & passengers need rescue.

- Andy

Hello Everyone,

By the End of this year 2008 NJ Transit has to retire all the Comet 1 and Comet 1B passenger cars on NJ Transit. The passenger cars are LONG OUT OF DATE and are not meeting the safety requirements and as a result by the end of the year NJ Transit has to retire the entire fleet which NJ Transit has started to do.

Eric

Hello Everyone,

By the End of this year 2008 NJ Transit has to retire all the Comet 1 and Comet 1B passenger cars on NJ Transit. The passenger cars are LONG OUT OF DATE and are not meeting the safety requirements and as a result by the end of the year NJ Transit has to retire the entire fleet which NJ Transit has started to do.

Eric

I wonder how long the comet 2's have?

- Andy

im not sure about how many,but I know Utah's new commuter rail system (Frontrunner) bought a few from NJT, and I heard Metrolink in California may be interested in buying a few....

this is what they look like now in Utah

http://www.utahtransit.us/cot12.htm

Wow, i never thought i'd see such a sexy railcar paint scheme......

- Andy

If only (SEPTA) and (NJT) would get crazy with paint. Might inspire more people to go without a car.

- Andy

By the way, i really like the (SEPTA) smiley! VERY useful! PATH or AirTrain should get one too.

- Andy

I'm surprised that another transit agency would even be interested in these cars to begin with considering their age. The comet 1 cars were built for Erie Lackawanna in the 1970's.

Eric

Takes pressure off the newer stuff if there's a problem?

- Andy

I wonder how long the comet 2's have?

- Andy

The Comet IIM Cars I would expect have another few years of service before them still. The cars were rebuilt in 2002-2003 and entered revenue service a in 2004 so I think personally that they still have a few years.

Eric

The Comet IIM Cars I would expect have another few years of service before them still. The cars were rebuilt in 2002-2003 and entered revenue service a in 2004 so I think personally that they still have a few years.

Eric

I have a feeling those will be sold not scrapped. Like i said before with the comet 1, i also think many will be turned into flatbed cars.

- Andy

despite the Comet I's age, they have proven themselves to be extremely reliable, I would say they are the most reliable out of the Comet fleet or the most sucessful

The multilevels will be the new standard after the comet 1 and 2 are gone. They work, and are comfy.

- Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Everyone,

According to the August 2008 issue of Railpace Newsmagazine NJ Transit has leased 8 Comet I Coaches to SEPTA for commuter service out of Philadelphia PA.

Eric

Well they have pretty much the same stuff (NJT) does as far as push-pull rolling stock, so i guess the only difference will be the paint. I wonder if (SEPTA) will ever get alp-46...

- Andy

Hello Everyone,

According to the August 2008 issue of Railpace Newsmagazine NJ Transit has leased 8 Comet I Coaches to SEPTA for commuter service out of Philadelphia PA.

Eric

Also, 14 more Comet IBs (2 cab cars and 12 trailers) have been leased to AMT in the Montreal area, as their MLV allotment has been pushed back while NJT gets even more. (AMT is getting 30 with an option for 130 that is likely to be exercised right after the NJT order.)

The lease also includes 5 GP40FH-2Bs and 2 F40PH-2CATs.

Well they have pretty much the same stuff (NJT) does as far as push-pull rolling stock, so i guess the only difference will be the paint. I wonder if (SEPTA) will ever get alp-46...

- Andy

If SEPTA wants to add on to NJT's ALP-46A order.....

I was actually suprised when I heard Septa was getting Comet I's ......the entire system operates almost exclusively on MU's with the exception of the rush-hour express trains that are push-pull

These cars are left over from conrail, which in turn were left over from penn central etc etc. Once these EMU's get older they will need push/pull conversion of the younger sets, and new push/pull rolling stock.

The EMU's across (NJT) and (SEPTA) won't be here forever, they are reaching EOL, and will be phased out slowly especially as (NJT) receives more of its second order of multilevel cars. Once enough cars come to replace a whole train, an EMU set will be option B on that scheduled run, and then eventually be retired all together.

Also soon to be retired by (NJT) will be comet 2 cars, which aparently will be sold to (SEPTA). I believe (SEPTA) right now is about to order more locomotives to prepare for this transition from EMU to push/pull.

I would suggest to anyone who is a fan of comet 2's and arrow 3 EMU's on (NJT) that they plan to ride them before the end of the year, because by that time many more multilevel will have been delivered and the retirement/sale process will have begun.

- Andy

Archived