Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, biGC323232 said:

I guess they do....:D....My thang is how in the world it ended up on the tracks to reroute or end service???? This is getting ridiculous....  

I have NEVER seen one before in the (MTA) system(let alone used on the subway platforms) and my guess is the workers don't know how to use them either apparently. lol You know what they do to call themselves "cleaning" the platform? They rip up those yellow rubbery tiles, and install new ones.  Such a waste of money and so much garbage created unnecessarily.  Just use the scrubbers with some soap and water. I noticed the platform at Grand Central looked cleaner in spots yesterday and I was wondering if they just ripped up the rubbery yellow tiles again or if they actually power washed the platform because parts of it looked the same as usual.

21 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I have NEVER seen one before in the (MTA) system(let alone used on the subway platforms) and my guess is the workers don't know how to use them either apparently. lol You know what they do to call themselves "cleaning" the platform? They rip up those yellow rubbery tiles, and install new ones.  Such a waste of money and so much garbage created unnecessarily.  Just use the scrubbers with some soap and water. I noticed the platform at Grand Central looked cleaner in spots yesterday and I was wondering if they just ripped up the rubbery yellow tiles again or if they actually power washed the platform because parts of it looked the same as usual.

I see them here in Brooklyn at Atlantic Ave and I've seen them at Franklin ave as well. There muted blue with scrubbers with a squeegee towards the back a push unit. Once in a while, I'll see high pressured water guns for cleaning. I've seen em at both my home stations Franklin and Brooklyn Museum maybe once a month maybe slightly longer. I can't validate how often they do it but I don't ride late that often and most times I've seen them it's midnight or after. Maybe it's every night or once a week that I don't know.

Edited by RailRunRob

6 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

I see them here in Brooklyn at Atlantic Ave and I've seen them at Franklin ave as well. There muted blue with scrubbers with a squeegee towards the back a push unit. Once in a while, I'll see high pressured water guns for cleaning. I've seen em at both my home stations Franklin and Brooklyn Museum maybe once a month maybe slightly longer. I can't validate how often they do it but I don't ride late that often and most times I've seen them it's midnight or after. Maybe it's every night or once a week that I don't know.

It's a start in the right direction.  Often times they don't clean much of anything during the winter months citing the cold.

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's a start in the right direction.  Often times they don't clean much of anything during the winter months citing the cold.

With 40% of the system exposed to the elements, I'm sure that has something to do with it. Maybe you don't use water B/C of the freeze and thaw process could cause damage to platforms. But that shouldnt stop anyone from trash removal and a sweep.  Providing it's not dangerously cold. Underground should be good.

Edited by RailRunRob

35 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I've seen them cleaning the lower concourse at Fulton Center, but those might be Westfield employees and not MTA workers.

1 hour ago, RailRunRob said:

With 40% of the system exposed to the elements, I'm sure that has something to do with it. Maybe you don't use water B/C of the freeze and thaw process could cause damage to platforms. But that shouldnt stop anyone from trash removal and a sweep.  Providing it's not dangerously cold. Underground should be good.

Not only that, but with the cold temperatures, they'd have to salt the platforms as well. Otherwise, the surface would become dangerously slippery and the potential for someone flying onto the tracks or down the stairs would increase dramatically.

2 hours ago, Lance said:

Not only that, but with the cold temperatures, they'd have to salt the platforms as well. Otherwise, the surface would become dangerously slippery and the potential for someone flying onto the tracks or down the stairs would increase dramatically.

They salt the platforms anyway whenever there's snow.

Service Change  Posted: 01/31/2018 10:29PM 

Southbound (A) trains are running express from 59 St-Columbus Circle to Canal St.
Southbound (D) trains are stopping along (C) line from 59 St-Columbus Circle to W 4 St-Washington Sq then along the (E) line and end at the World Trade Center.

Expect delays on (A) , (C) , (D) and (E) trains 

These service changes are because of a train with mechanical problems at 59 St-Columbus Circle.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

I once posted about trains with mechanical problems and signal problems not getting cleared right away during off peak.I really want t8 say that if this train now at Fort Hamilton Pkwy stalled during rush hour it would not take an hour or 2 to clear up.Anyone agree?

7 hours ago, kosciusko said:

What is it welded to the tracks or something? Just move the damn chair this shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to clear up.

No. There was a mouse sitting on the chair. They had to call in animal control as well.

6 hours ago, Lance said:

C'mon, you know it took a team of ten workers to move that chair.

That’s an underestimation. Union-quality work always calls for more workers than you can quote.