Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

According to MTA.info there are switch problems at 96th st (Q) .This seems to be affecting service on t whole line as Subway Time Dosent show any S/B trains all all running. Is that what’s going to happen every time there is a switch problem there?

EDIT:seems like 2 trains are on there way finally to the Brighton Line.

Edited by Abba

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Abba said:

According to MTA.info there are switch problems at 96th st (Q) .This seems to be affecting service on t whole line as Subway Time Dosent show any S/B trains all all running. Is that what’s going to happen every time there is a switch problem there?

EDIT:seems like 2 trains are on there way finally to the Brighton Line.

Sometimes when there is a reroute, all of the intervals get refreshed, thus removing them from the tracking system. They likely all have to be re-entered to show a run to whatever new terminal is being used during the time of the reroute. Remember, it's not as versatile as the ATS system tracking the IRT trains or CBTC tracking the (L).

Service Change

Posted: 02/03/2018  6:41PM

There is no (A) and (C) service between Chambers St and Euclid Av.

Some southbound (A) and (C) trains end at World Trade Center

Some southbound (F) trains are stopping along the (D) line from W 4 St-Washington Sq to Coney Island-Stillwell Av.

Some southbound (F) trains are stopping along the (E) line from Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av to Court Sq-23 St and then stopping along the (G) line from Court Sq to Bergen St.

Some southbound (F) trains end at 2 Av.

For service between Manhattan and Brooklyn, customers can take the (L) or (J) trains. 

For service between Jay St-MetroTech and Broadway Junction customers can take the B25 bus or shuttle bus on Fulton St.

These service changes because of a person struck by a train at Jay St-MetroTech.

On 2/2/2018 at 10:05 AM, Lance said:

Sometimes when there is a reroute, all of the intervals get refreshed, thus removing them from the tracking system. They likely all have to be re-entered to show a run to whatever new terminal is being used during the time of the reroute. Remember, it's not as versatile as the ATS system tracking the IRT trains or CBTC tracking the (L).

I saw on twitter people complaining about waiting for over an hour for a train that night. That shouldn’t be at any station south of 57/7. There was a G/O that night where half trains go to 96 half to 57/7. Why didn’t they just simply terminate all at 57.Something strange happened. There was a tweet from MTA saying trains were held in both directions. Why hold S/B? Sounds like it was a pretty big issue on the (Q) line.

Edited by Abba

14 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Happy Monday everyone! 

Southbound (1)  trains are running express from 137 St-City College to 96 St .

Some southbound (3)  trains are running local from 96 St to Chambers St.

These service changes are because of a sick passenger at 103 St.

Expect delays on   and  train service.

Monday morning = delays on (1) train.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Monday morning = delays on (1) train.

The New York Lottery should do a game base on delays. At the end of the month, you’d collect information on all the Monday delays for the winning numbers/letters (e.g.: (1)(M)(Q)(7)).

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Happy Monday everyone! 

Southbound (1)  trains are running express from 137 St-City College to 96 St .

Some southbound (3)  trains are running local from 96 St to Chambers St.

These service changes are because of a sick passenger at 103 St.

Expect delays on   and  train service.

Someone’s sick of Monday’s! 

53 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

If the person was sick on the train then I would understand, but most of the time these passengers are sick on the platform, so why does it cause such a big service disruption like this?

If the person is sick and on the platform the train will continue it’s trip normally. If the person was on the train and became ill it’s a completely different story. If the person is traveling with someone who can be responsible for the person that sick rider can be removed from the train to the platform. That train will be delayed until the removal is done. If the person is traveling alone and no responsible person or volunteer medical professionals will take over it’s a different story. Either the train is discharged and the C/R remains with the person or EMS arrives and they take over. That equates to a longer delay. What you are describing I’ve never personally encountered. What I have seen and heard about are lowlife passengers who don’t report an obviously sick person because they don’t want to be delayed. I remember when they started posting signs saying if a person felt ill to don’t board the train at all. That’s my experience though. Carry on.

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Posted: 02/05/2018  1:52PM

Some (R) trains are stopping along the (F) line from Forest Hills-71 Av to 179 St in both directions.

Expect delays on (F)(G) and (R)train service.

This service changes is because of earlier signal problems between 15 St-Prospect Park and Ft. Hamilton Pkwy.

As if the (R) wasn't long enough, feel bad for the crews

26 minutes ago, Lance said:

From a passenger's perspective, this is better than the alternative of waiting for what's potentially an abandoned interval because of cascading delays from Brooklyn.

True of course, from the passenger view its a great move.  Though (R) riders in the opposite direction may feel it a bit while they wait for the extended (R) trains to cycle back as it's my understanding B division doesn't have gap trains.

It depends if it deadheads or not.

11 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Isn't "sick passenger" sometimes used when referring to suicides or people suddenly dying on trains?

Sometimes. Other times, it may be listed as police activity/investigation or person on the tracks.

2 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Isn't "sick passenger" sometimes used when referring to suicides or people suddenly dying on trains?

Someone committed suicide at Avenue H last week, and the message was that trains are delayed due to an "unruly passenger".

18 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

If the person is sick and on the platform the train will continue it’s trip normally. If the person was on the train and became ill it’s a completely different story. If the person is traveling with someone who can be responsible for the person that sick rider can be removed from the train to the platform. That train will be delayed until the removal is done. If the person is traveling alone and no responsible person or volunteer medical professionals will take over it’s a different story. Either the train is discharged and the C/R remains with the person or EMS arrives and they take over. That equates to a longer delay. What you are describing I’ve never personally encountered. What I have seen and heard about are lowlife passengers who don’t report an obviously sick person because they don’t want to be delayed. I remember when they started posting signs saying if a person felt ill to don’t board the train at all. That’s my experience though. Carry on.

So the policy has the effect of creating a perverse incentive to sweep the sick passenger under the rug.