Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

51 minutes ago, kosciusko said:

If this is the case then why are the amount of sick passenger delays higher on the NYC subway than around the world? London and Tokyo don't have 3000 monthly sick passenger delays. Why are more people getting sick on the NYC Subway as opposed to other rail systems?

Throwing up your hands and saying "passengers fault, nothing we can do about it" is absolute bullshit, no other subway systems are having this many delays due to sick passengers.

I'll ask you again. What would you suggest we do to mitigate the delays ? Perhaps there aren't 3000 monthly delays due to sick passengers ? The (MTA) has been known to provide bogus numbers in the past. If that's the case my question remains the same. Any " sick passenger " report must be investigated by a crew member which automatically means a delay. Should the protocol be ignored ? I'm waiting for your solution , if you have one. I personally subscribe to the notion that there are 300 monthly delays because 10 a day fits in with my personal experience.  There are many forum members who accept the (MTA) numbers as gospel whether it's about "sick passengers", travel time, SBS speed, whatever, I take those numbers with a grain of salt. I don't get excited about obviously bogus numbers. I've been riding the system for 60 years, 30 as an employee , so I think I know when the agency is running a "game" on the public. Do you really believe that 3000 number ? Your past posts show me that you do think these things through. In this case I believe your anger, at sick passengers, is misplaced. Blame the folks who provided those numbers in the first place. Just my opinion . BTW if you think I'm an apologist for the (MTA) because of my past you're wrong about that, too. Carry on.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

BTW if you think I'm an apologist for the (MTA) because of my past you're wrong about that, too

I'm not concerned with your posting history and you shouldn't be with mine, I think it's really lame to use someone's past posts in to judge them in a debate.

27 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I'll ask you again. What would you suggest we do to mitigate the delays ?

I don't have a detailed breakdown of the sick passenger statistics so I can't effectively rewrite the protocol for a sick passenger, you know that.

28 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Perhaps there aren't 3000 monthly delays due to sick passengers ? The (MTA) has been known to provide bogus numbers in the past.

Sure that's a possibility, and if it's the case then it's a major communications failure on the (MTA)'s behalf, it's also possible that the numbers are accurate. Either way, this is the information the (MTA) is giving us and it's not unreasonable to critique the agency based on that.

32 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I personally subscribe to the notion that there are 300 monthly delays because 10 a day fits in with my personal experience.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean anything unless you can prove it.

40 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

There are many forum members who accept the (MTA) numbers as gospel whether it's about "sick passengers", travel time, SBS speed, whatever, I take those numbers with a grain of salt. I don't get excited about obviously bogus numbers. I've been riding the system for 60 years, 30 as an employee , so I think I know when the agency is running a "game" on the public. Do you really believe that 3000 number ?

What else do we (passengers) have to go by if not the numbers we are given by the (MTA)? Everyone should take stats with a grain of salt, after all they are estimates. I do believe that there are around 3000 monthly subway service delays. My point still stands, this is an issue unique to the NYC Subway. Trains get delayed because of sick passengers here far more than they do anywhere else, and something should be done about it. If it's an issue with the (MTA) fudging the numbers, then they should stop doing that, problem solved. If those numbers are true and there are actually 3000 sick people a month delaying trains, then this is a serious issue that needs to be dealt with. Again nowhere near 3000 trains a month are being delayed in Tokyo, London, Paris, etc due to sick passengers. 

Why are so many people getting sick on trains? Is it germs, maybe a chemical used to clean the cars/stations?

Why is this causing so many delays? Is it because passengers are pulling the ebrake, are train crews sluggish to respond?

These are questions that need to be asked.

Maybe these passengers aren't getting sick in that sense. Perhaps these passengers are getting panic attacks, claustrophobia, and/or dizzy and faint spells from any combination of overcrowded trains, trains with lack of ventilation, trains that stop in tunnels for long periods of time, or the stench of the vagrants that sleep on the trains. Perhaps it could be someone who has difficulty standing on a moving train that falls over and ends up injuring either themselves or others.

They can't all be coming down with colds and allergies....

Edited by paulrivera

14 hours ago, kosciusko said:

Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean anything unless you can prove it.

Have you ever thought that he actually has many years of experience when he worked for transit and is trying to explain to you why the protocol exist? And if you think its so easy removing a sick passenger off the train, why don't you join the EMT? 

Edited by Daniel The Cool

1 hour ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Have you ever thought that he actually has many years of experience when he worked for transit and is trying to explain to you why the protocol exist? And if you think its so easy removing a sick passenger off the train, why don't you join the EMT? 

"why don't you do it" is a really pathetic argument to make in this situation.

Look at the facts, no other metro system on the planet is reporting anywhere near 3000 monthly delays due to sick passengers. This is a problem that is unique to New York. 

23 minutes ago, kosciusko said:

why don't you do it" is a really pathetic argument to make in this situation.

It’s actually a really good argument in this case. You seem to believe it’s so simple to “remove” a sick/I’ll passenger form a train. Not every situation is that simple. Not every situation, can someone simply walk off the train. What would you as a member of the EMT if that person was having a heart attack on the floor Of the train? You simply can’t lie them on the floor is the platform, and the train be on its way. As @Trainmaster5 said there are these protocols in place for a reason. And as a retired train operator, I believe him when he says they have good reason to have these types of procedures to deal with sick/ill personel. 

Edited by Dannny

1 hour ago, Dannny said:

You seem to believe it’s so simple to “remove” a sick/I’ll passenger form a train. Not every situation is that simple. Not every situation, can someone simply walk off the train. What would you as a member of the EMT if that person was having a heart attack on the floor Of the train? You simply can’t lie them on the floor is the platform, and the train be on its way.

When did I ever communicate that? Point out to me where I said that.

I think you need to re-read my arguments. 

2 hours ago, kosciusko said:

Look at the facts, no other metro system on the planet is reporting anywhere near 3000 monthly delays due to sick passengers. This is a problem that is unique to New York. 

Nobody as of yet has been able to explain why the NYC subway has far more sick passenger delays than any other train system.

56 minutes ago, kosciusko said:

When did I ever communicate that? Point out to me where I said that.

I think you need to re-read my arguments. 

19 hours ago, kosciusko said:

Why is this causing so many delays? Is it because passengers are pulling the ebrake, are train crews sluggish to respond?

Its not about being sluggish, its about Protocol, that's why it takes so long, hence adding to service delays.

Edited by Dannny

19 minutes ago, Dannny said:

Its not about being sluggish, its about Protocol, that's why it takes so long, hence adding to service delays.

You're failing to address my main point, try again.

3 hours ago, kosciusko said:

no other metro system on the planet is reporting anywhere near 3000 monthly delays due to sick passengers. This is a problem that is unique to New York. 

^ Why is this?

Sick passengers account for a chunk of the delays because there obviously aren't enough EMTs throughout the subway where they can be mobilized and able to assist passengers quickly. As I mentioned, the MTA is trying to address this problem by adding more EMT staging areas in key stations, but the fact remains that not every station is adjacent to a hospital where emergency teams can be dispatched with any haste.

On April 13, 2018 at 3:38 PM, kosciusko said:

Nobody as of yet has been able to explain why the NYC subway has far more sick passenger delays than any other train system.

The US is the only industrialized nation without universal health care which just might have something to do with it...

1 minute ago, Around the Horn said:

The US is the only industrialized nation without universal health care which just might have something to do with it...

That and everyone feeds from the trough called “fast food.” I see people eating in McDonald’s and I shake my head at them.

Every single time the (F) goes via Broadway Express and West End, something gotta happen...

Service Change

Posted: 04/14/2018  8:54PM

Some southbound (F) trains are stopping along the (R) line from 36 St (QNS) to 57 St-7 Av.

Southbound (F) and (Q) trains are making local stops along the (R) line from 57 St-7 Av to Canal St.

These service changes are because of signal problems at Times Sq-42 St.

You may experience delays on the (F) , (N) , (Q) and (R) lines.

Our crews are on site working to correct the signal problems as quickly as possible. We'll keep you updated.

On 4/14/2018 at 5:57 PM, kosciusko said:

We just went 8 hours without a single delay, I think that might be a record.

OMG REALLY? 

THAT'S THE NEXT BEST THING TO THE SAS GOING TO BROOKLYN (but let's be honest with ourselves that's not happening) 

no but srsly the whole system- no delays for 1/3 of a day is cool

4 hours ago, kosciusko said:

From (MTA) twitter

For what reason would they do this?

If trains had to run slow, it may be to reduce delays. (C) trains are running to 145th only, so they have to use the lower-level with the (D) . That way, there's no merging further north. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

3 hours ago, thicctrain said:

OMG REALLY? 

THAT'S THE NEXT BEST THING TO THE SAS GOING TO BROOKLYN (but let's be honest with ourselves that's not happening) 

no but srsly the whole system- no delays for 1/3 of a day is cool

Heh please. My (A) train kept stopping today because of train traffic... Train was packed too... Why wasn't the (D) running via 6th Avenue?

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Heh please. My (A) train kept stopping today because of train traffic... Train was packed too... Why wasn't the (D) running via 6th Avenue?

6th Avenue is shut down for track maintenance (according to the MTA website). (D) trains run via the (A) in Manhattan, and via the (F) in Brooklyn. (F) trains runs via the (D) south of Barclays, and via the (Q) between Lexington Avenue and Barclays.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

This has been ongoing for over 2 hours.

Posted: 04/16/2018  5:30PM

There is a Con Ed power problem affecting our signal system between 42 St-Port Authority Bus Terminal and 59 St-Columbus Circle.

We have generators at our 50 St and 42 St facilities to supplement and keep our trains moving while the problem is being worked on.

(A) trains are running local from Euclid Av to 168 St in both directions.  

(B) trains are running express from 125 St to 59 St-Columbus Circle in both directions. 

There is no train (C) service between 168 St and Euclid Av in both directions. 

Some (E) trains are stopping along the (F) line from W 4 St-Washington Sq to 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr then along the (M) line to 5 Av-53 St.   

Some (E) trains are stopping along the (F) line from W 4 St-Washington Sq to Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av.   

(M) train service has resumed. 

Please anticipate longer travel times during this evening's rush hours while ConEd crews work to correct the issue.

We will keep you posted as conditions change.

3 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

This has been ongoing for over 2 hours.

Posted: 04/16/2018  5:30PM

There is a Con Ed power problem affecting our signal system between 42 St-Port Authority Bus Terminal and 59 St-Columbus Circle.

We have generators at our 50 St and 42 St facilities to supplement and keep our trains moving while the problem is being worked on.

(A) trains are running local from Euclid Av to 168 St in both directions.  

(B) trains are running express from 125 St to 59 St-Columbus Circle in both directions. 

There is no train (C) service between 168 St and Euclid Av in both directions. 

Some (E) trains are stopping along the (F) line from W 4 St-Washington Sq to 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr then along the (M) line to 5 Av-53 St.   

Some (E) trains are stopping along the (F) line from W 4 St-Washington Sq to Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av.   

(M) train service has resumed. 

Please anticipate longer travel times during this evening's rush hours while ConEd crews work to correct the issue.

We will keep you posted as conditions change.

Suspended the (C) but not the (B) ... must have a new guy in the office. Rat will get shocked on the tracks and out goes the (B) 95% of the time.