Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Dannny said:

^interesting service change. 

But why run the (A) via the (C) when you could just leave the (C) alone? 

And the (A) and (B) are switched CPW with the (B)eing express and the (A) being local. 

(A)rrested

(C)anceled

(E)expelled

(B)oosted

On 4/16/2018 at 10:13 PM, Dannny said:

And the (A) and (B) are switched CPW with the (B)eing express and the (A) being local. 

Maybe some pol told the (MTA) they have to keep the (B) running along Brighton because HIS/HER constituents need that service more than (C) riders need theirs? 

There is no "(A) via the (C)" especially since they run on the same corridor and the (C) is internally a short-turn (A). Also, it's pretty pointless to do so anyway when the (A) is already making all stops along its entire route.

This change lit up almost the entire service status box to "Service Change" . Thought the subway went to hell all at once.

Service Change  Posted: 04/21/2018 12:32AM 

There is no (4)(5)(6) train service in both directions between Bowling Green and 86 St because of an unauthorized person on the tracks near Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall. 

Travel alternative: Passengers can take nearby (N)(Q) trains and M101, M102 and M103 bus stopping at nearby  train stations.

9 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

This change lit up almost the entire service status box to "Service Change" . Thought the subway went to hell all at once.

Service Change  Posted: 04/21/2018 12:32AM 

There is no (4)(5)(6) train service in both directions between Bowling Green and 86 St because of an unauthorized person on the tracks near Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall. 

Travel alternative: Passengers can take nearby (N)(Q) trains and M101, M102 and M103 bus stopping at nearby  train stations.

Why would (especially at THAT hour)? someone unauthorized being on the tracks at Brooklyn Bridge cause trains to be truncated to 86th Street?  I would think they'd be able to run trains to Grand Central (or at least the (6) to 59th on the local level) without much issue then.  

13 hours ago, Lance said:

Shh. Don't try to bring logic into this.

The folks at Ops probably felt since the issue was isolated to 8th Avenue below the 59th Street junction, there was no need to impact 6th Avenue and Brighton service as well.

5 hours ago, Jemorie said:

There is no "(A) via the (C)" especially since they run on the same corridor and the (C) is internally a short-turn (A). Also, it's pretty pointless to do so anyway when the (A) is already making all stops along its entire route.

They cut the (C) to reduce train trains through the area which the (A) can cover. I believe the (B) went express so that they could keep the CPW to 53rd st switches in place.

That's actually a reasonable unplanned service change.

The (A) still covers it's route, runs frequent enough during the rush to replace the CPW Locals

CPW Express keeps 2 routes to carry the bulk of riders, many uptown riders are going to 125th so they can go across the platform for the express at 59th or take the (E) to 7th Ave/53rd for the (B)(D) , or transfer at West 4th St for the (B)(D) . The (B) has capacity.

Those going to Washington Heights/Inwood can rejoin the (A) at 125th/145th after it deals with local riders,maybe passing a couple on the way uptown.

145th to 168th gets more service

42 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

They cut the (C) to reduce train trains through the area which the (A) can cover. I believe the (B) went express so that they could keep the CPW to 53rd st switches in place.

That's actually a reasonable unplanned service change.

The (A) still covers it's route, runs frequent enough during the rush to replace the CPW Locals

CPW Express keeps 2 routes to carry the bulk of riders, many uptown riders are going to 125th so they can go across the platform for the express at 59th or take the (E) to 7th Ave/53rd for the (B)(D) , or transfer at West 4th St for the (B)(D) . The (B) has capacity.

Those going to Washington Heights/Inwood can rejoin the (A) at 125th/145th after it deals with local riders,maybe passing a couple on the way uptown.

145th to 168th gets more service

You're actually wrong on the (B) Train part. The switch to/from 6th Avenue connecting to the CPW Local tracks was actually down too during the incident which was why the (B) Train was running express.

3 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

You're actually wrong on the (B) Train part. The switch to/from 6th Avenue connecting to the CPW Local tracks was actually down too during the incident which was why the (B) Train was running express.

Which is basically the same thing. The (B) train went express so they could (or because they had to) keep the 53rd street switches in place.

2 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Which is basically the same thing. The (B) train went express so they could (or because they had to) keep the 53rd street switches in place.

No it isn't. The switch wasn't working when I said it was down. It had nothing to do with keeping the 53rd Street switches in place.  

46 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

No it isn't. The switch wasn't working when I said it was down. It had nothing to do with keeping the 53rd Street switches in place.  

lol if they're "not working" due to power problems then they have to stay in place and attempts to move them isn't a good idea . SOOO they left the (B) express so that all traffic to and from the express tracks go to 53rd street.

11 hours ago, CenSin said:

Nope. And I don't know where to find it. Is it a leak?

No just some idiocy he sent in a newsletter: 

“Is there a rogue F Express?

Many of you (including members of my own family) have complained to me that the F train so frequently skips local stations that it seems like the MTA is running a “rogue F express.” When that happens during rush hour, the platforms at the local stations get so crowded it becomes a real safety issue.

As far as my office has been told, the MTA is notofficially pursuing their plan from last year to eliminate half the trains from local stations. What’s happening seems to be improvising when there are service problems. But those problems are so frequent, it is fair to wonder. So we’re asking for your help to track what’s going on.”

Yes, Brad, there’s a vast conspiracy to defraud your constituents. You should sue the MTA. 

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

No just some idiocy he sent in a newsletter: 

“Is there a rogue F Express?

Many of you (including members of my own family) have complained to me that the F train so frequently skips local stations that it seems like the MTA is running a “rogue F express.” When that happens during rush hour, the platforms at the local stations get so crowded it becomes a real safety issue.

As far as my office has been told, the MTA is notofficially pursuing their plan from last year to eliminate half the trains from local stations. What’s happening seems to be improvising when there are service problems. But those problems are so frequent, it is fair to wonder. So we’re asking for your help to track what’s going on.”

Yes, Brad, there’s a vast conspiracy to defraud your constituents. You should sue the MTA. 

The (MTA) has knowingly said that they use tactics to unofficially cut service to save money.  That's their bottom line.  They admitted to doing publicly after the 2010 service cuts where they stated they don't fill some trips when bus operators call out sick so you have missing buses here and there on numerous lines, and somehow we're supposed to trust that they aren't f-king with subway service to save money? I sure as hell don't.  There's no "conspiracy" per se... Just them being obsessed with cutting costs and anyone's expense, so yes Brad, speak up, launch an investigation and get on their @ss to get service in line!

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The (MTA) has knowingly said that they use tactics to unofficially cut service to save money.  That's their bottom line.  They admitted to doing publicly after the 2010 service cuts where they stated they don't fill some trips when bus operators call out sick so you have missing buses here and there on numerous lines, and somehow we're supposed to trust that they aren't f-king with subway service to save money? I sure as hell don't.  There's no "conspiracy" per se... Just them being obsessed with cutting costs and anyone's expense, so yes Brad, speak up, launch an investigation and get on their @ss to get service in line!

Actually, most of the cases that there are (F) express trains (usually southbound in the reverse-peak direction) is because trains were delayed to the point where another train was within a minute from it when the first train arrives at Jay Street-MetroTech. In an effort to not cause more delays, the trains get sent down via Culver Express. They sometimes do this during the peak direction too.

2 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Actually, most of the cases that there are (F) express trains (usually southbound in the reverse-peak direction) is because trains were delayed to the point where another train was within a minute from it when the first train arrives at Jay Street-MetroTech. In an effort to not cause more delays, the trains get sent down via Culver Express. They sometimes do this during the peak direction too.

Oh I know all about the (F) train... The line is a disaster... There's no sense of management at all and it needs to change.  I often watch 5 or 6 (F) trains pass in one direction in say a span of 10 minutes or less, then there's nothing, so all of this service is running but obviously not to the benefit of the passengers that actually need it.  Way too much bunching.  That line needs to be restructured in some way.  I myself have waited on insanely packed platforms with no (F) trains in sight only to be passed up when some finally arrive because the train is too packed to get on.  

The elected official has every right to be angry and if I were him I'd take all legal measures against the (MTA) to address it.  That's the only time they seem to respond is when they're threatened with legal action.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm all for grassroots campaigns. I'm all for fixing the MTA. I'm not all for suing over a question that could be answered with Google. 

The only reasons Fs run express are to fill service gaps (which means there is a train close on the express's heels), and to terminate at Church. Because of the Culver El work, we can't turn as many trains at KH as we once did, so we use Church. And because the G is already fumigating at Church, you can't terminate those turns on the local track without causing excessive delay. Hence, their being sent express. 

Brad Lander shouldn't be investigating this conspiracy to secretly implement F express. He should be looking at the poor management/cost decisions that led to the cuts in weekend service, and the idiotic operating practices that lead to the bunching you describe. 

Lmao, somebody is complaining about the (F) running express? The damn thing's so slow, the one-seat ride from Jay Street to Kings Highway is only 1 minute faster than walking to DeKalb Av, taking the (B), and taking the B82 over to McDonald Av. 30 minutes for the one-seat ride, vs 31 minutes (5+16+10) for the alternative.

Wait till Brad Lander finds out that the (MTA) plans to run three (F) trains per hour via express during the Canarsie shutdown, in order to accomodate more (G) service...

Edited by P3F

MTA Service Status

Delays   Posted: 04/23/2018  8:24AM

Northbound (A) and (C) trains are running with delays because of a train with mechanical problems at Hoyt-Schermerhorn.  

Service Change   Posted: 04/23/2018  8:03AM

(F) trains are stopping along the (E) line between Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av and Queens Plaza, then on the (M) line to/from 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr in both directions.

(M) trains are stopping along the (F) line between Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av and 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr in both directions.

Expect delays on (E)(F) and (M) trains in both directions.

These service changes are because of ongoing signal problems at Queensboro Plaza. 

Our crews are on the scene making repairs and we hope to resume regular service soon. Stay tuned for updates.

Edited by Jemorie

And also why did they switch the (F) and (M) routes for? Especially since 63rd Street and 53rd Street would still have roughly the same amount of trains per hour (even though the (F) is more frequent than the (M))?

The service change made no sense at all. The (MTA) needs to be a bit more clear and specific whenever they announce unplanned service changes on their website.

Edited by Jemorie