Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

16 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Passengers at bypassed (R) stations in lower Manhattan may request a block ticket from station agents to re-enter the system for service on nearby lines.

That's new. I wonder how many agents actually knew about this and how many of them just told riders to take a hike.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Service Change

Posted: 05/09/2018 12:19PM

Some southbound (B) trains are stopping along the (D) line from Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr to Coney Island-Stillwell Av because of track maintenance.

Expect delays on the (B) and (D) trains.

This is an odd one. So this is an unplanned change for "track maintenance"?

30 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

This is an odd one. So this is an unplanned change for "track maintenance"?

I believe today is the only weekday until the 24th where the (B) is not running local during middays. IDK if it has anything to do with the equipment testing they're doing for that period.

3 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I kid you not: Cuomo is touring the roadbed at Avenue M with TWU brass.

3 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I believe today is the only weekday until the 24th where the (B) is not running local during middays. IDK if it has anything to do with the equipment testing they're doing for that period.

Seems like endless track maintenance on that line during the week, which makes it almost unusable.  They should've done all of this track maintenance when they re-did the stations along the Brighton Line to alleviate the need for so much of it now. 

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Seems like endless track maintenance on that line during the week, which makes it almost unusable.  They should've done all of this track maintenance when they re-did the stations along the Brighton Line to alleviate the need for so much of it now. 

Not for nothing, but the station and line rehab on the Brighton line wrapped up in late 2011, well over six years ago. Constant use of the tracks will require general maintenance over time.

15 minutes ago, Lance said:

Not for nothing, but the station and line rehab on the Brighton line wrapped up in late 2011, well over six years ago. Constant use of the tracks will require general maintenance over time.

True, but the (B) doesn't run on weekends, so why can't it be done then?  It seems like this track maintenance has been extensive and always during the week for a line that only runs part-time. By comparison I don't see the (Q) knocked out the way that the (B) is. They both run on the Brighton Line so if the (B) needs such extensive track maintenance I would think that the same applies to the (Q)... 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Service Change

Posted: 05/09/2018  5:24PM

Some southbound (R) trains are stopping along the (F) line from 36 St (Qns) to W 4 St-Washington Sq then along the (R) line toDeKalb Av.

Expect delays in (D) , (F) , (R) and (W) train service.

These service changes are because of signal problems at 28 St.

Not mentioned, but there's also a sick passenger at Times Square that's stalling all northbound (N)(Q)(R)(W) service. I'm on the (R) right now and both local and express trains are stalled together.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

True, but the (B) doesn't run on weekends, so why can't it be done then?  It seems like this track maintenance has been extensive and always during the week for a line that only runs part-time. By comparison I don't see the (Q) knocked out the way that the (B) is. They both run on the Brighton Line so if the (B) needs such extensive track maintenance I would think that the same applies to the (Q)... 

They aren't shutting Brighton exp for track maintenance IIRC. I think they're testing trains from CIY. I know they tested the R46s with the updated controls that way, no idea what's happening now. 

3 minutes ago, RR503 said:

They aren't shutting Brighton exp for track maintenance IIRC. I think they're testing trains from CIY. I know they tested the R46s with the updated controls that way, no idea what's happening now. 

Yeah well that's what they listed on their status page after stating that they'd be more transparent about such things... 

31 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Has anyone else noticed that when a line goes on a different trunk routing ( (R) via (F) ) it changes the service status on 6th Av and just says delays on Broadway?

That happened last weekend (the (R) ran... rather crawled into Bryant Park). I didn't know what was going on. Then it crawled out of the station and a (F) crawled in and then a (D).

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Has anyone else noticed that when a line goes on a different trunk routing ( (R) via (F) ) it changes the service status on 6th Av and just says delays on Broadway?

It's probably an error in the coding. It sounds like that should be inverted since the (R) running on the (F) (a service change to the Broadway line) would no doubt cause delays in 6th Avenue service.

You'd think that with those fancy new signals, they'd be able to turn trains at Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs. You'd also be excused in believing they could run Manhattan shuttles for the duration of the service change.

5 hours ago, Lance said:

It's probably an error in the coding. It sounds like that should be inverted since the (R) running on the (F) (a service change to the Broadway line) would no doubt cause delays in 6th Avenue service.

One of the things I've noticed creating my sign - for instance this weekend when everything N/B on QBL was express - the errant "local" train would show up in the subwaytime data. The time would count down until it got to 6 min - which is queens plaza from the station I had it set to - and then change to "Delay". 

I wasn't timing it, but anecdotally I'd say that the "Delay" wouldn't clear until the time had passed that the train was originally scheduled to arrive. 

The GTFS data doesn't have minute-countdowns, it has arrival times. I believe the countdown clocks and the subwaytime app are fed by the same server that provides a RESTful API from the GTFS, and that's what's creating the countdowns. I believe it's that server which is could have better handling of rerouted trains. 

In essence, the server is looking at the current time, and the arrival time at a given station, and getting the difference for the countdown clock. I think that if a given train no longer has an arrival time at that station, it falls back to generating "Delay" until the original arrival time has passed. 

Note I've been polling the subwaytime API directly (their fault for not using tokens) so I have no idea how this is showing up in the GTFS-realtime. I'm eventually going to modify and spool up a copy of this one, and maybe I can even improve on the MTA contractor's reroute handling. 🤓

This is a pretty big one...

Service Change

Posted: 05/11/2018  5:34PM

Some southbound (4) and (5) trains will end at 86 St, Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall or Bowling Green.

Some southbound (4) and (5) trains are running local from 125 St to Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall.

Select Brooklyn-bound (4) and (5) trains will be departing from the northbound track at Bowling Green.

Please listen to live station announcements for possible service changes.

Some southbound (5) trains are stopping along the (2) line from 149 St-Grand Concourse to Nevins St.

Expect delays in (2) , (3) , (4), (5) and (6) train service.

These service changes are because of fallen wires at Bowling Green.

NYCT personnel are on the scene to make repairs.

As an alternative for service between Manhattan and Brooklyn, customers are advised to use the (2) ,(3) , (D) , (N) , (Q) or (R) train service.

We're a little busy today...

Service Change  Posted: 05/15/2018  1:32PM 

Northbound (2) trains are running express from E 180 St to Gun Hill Rd because of a rail condition at Allerton Av.

Expect delays on the (2) and (5) trains.

Our crews are on the scene working to restore normal service as quickly as possible.

Service Change  Posted: 05/15/2018  1:04PM 

Some (M) trains are stopping along the  (J) line from Essex St to Chambers St because of signal problems at B'way-Lafayette St.

Expect delays on the (F) , (J) and (M) trains. 

EDIT: Another common change:

Delays  Posted: 05/15/2018  2:05PM 

Some northbound (F) trains are stopping along the (D) line from Coney Island-Stillwell Av to B'way-Lafayette because of signal problems at Coney Island-Stillwell Av.

Expect delays on the (D) and (F) trains.

And the weather is claiming victims left and right...

Posted: 05/15/2018  5:36PM

There is no service between E 180 St and Eastchester Av-Dyre Av in both directions.

Northbound (5) trains end at E 180 St.

Some northbound (5) trains are stopping along the (2) line from E 180 St to Nereid Avor Wakefield 241 St.

Expect delays in northbound  and  train service.

These service changes are because of a downed tree at Eastchester-Dyre.

Service Change

Posted: 05/15/2018  5:39PM

Franklin Av shuttle (S) trains no service between Franklin Av and Prospect Park in both directions because of trees across tracks at Prospect Park.

As an alternative for travel customer are advise to use B48 bus making nearby stops.

-----------------------------------------------------

Also

Posted: 05/15/2018  5:37PM

Northbound (Q) trains are running express from Kings Hwy to Prospect Park because of a train with mechanical problems at Avenue H.