Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

20 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

This goat fiasco shows how badly the MTA handles service issues... it's like when they screwed over Brighton for a cat. It's one thing if an animal falls on the tracks underground, but in an open area like this, they should just leave the goats alone. No animal will get near the trains and will run off the ROW or will run to another track given how loud and large the trains are when they come through...  the PETA crowd are probably the only people who think a reroute should occur due to some random animal on the ROW...

It's one of those "damned you do, damned you don't" situations. Had the MTA actually ran service normally and hit the goats, it would've become a PR nightmare with every animal rights advocate, not just the PETA pitas*, comes out against the agency for harming/killing a poor, defenseless animal. Getting some cutesy PR from the fiasco is much better alternative, even if service had to be rerouted to round up the goats.

*pains in the ass

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Idk whats going on with the (7) but it better get repaired soon...

Service Change  Posted: 08/24/2018  8:37AM 

Some <7> express trains are running local from Mets-Willets Point to Queensboro Plaza because of switch problems at 34 St-Hudson Yards.

Expect delays in both directions.

17 minutes ago, Deucey said:

So signal problems have (7) terminating at TSQ.

Amazing how that was the terminal for damn near 80 years and NOW it's a problem terminating trains there.

But then how does a new train segment have signal problems already?

All of these extensions have problems because they are RUSHED, not to mention overpriced.  Problems pop up along the way and they are never quite rectified. Cuomo yells, the (MTA) runs and they say the hell with it. We'll deal with the problems later. Just get the station open. Same deal with the escalators and elevators at Hudson Yards and on the SAS... Brand new and they constantly break down.  They knew about the problem in advance and never rectified it.  They need to focus on getting the basics done and building more structurally sound stations with things like good AC, working elevators etc. These massive mezzanines are such a waste of time and money.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

34 minutes ago, Deucey said:

So signal problems have (7) terminating at TSQ.

Amazing how that was the terminal for damn near 80 years and NOW it's a problem terminating trains there.

But then how does a new train segment have signal problems already?

It's a switch problem not a signal problem.

There is no (7) train service in both directions between 34 St-Hudson Yards and Times Square-42 St, and reduced (7) train service between Queens and Manhattan, while we repair a switch problem at 34 St-Hudson Yards.

For service between 34 St-Hudson Yards and Times Square-42 St, see a station agent to receive a courtesy pass for continuing train or bus service.

58 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Do elaborate.

Earlier (around 11 AM and lasting into the early afternoon), the (7) was not running between Times Square and Queensboro Plaza, with a few short-turns on the Queens side. The reason was due to a signal problem at Hunterspoint Avenue. LIRR was cross honoring. 

Additionally, later on that afternoon, a train's brakes was activated at Times Square. Don't know what happened during that, but I did see the notice when service resumed.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

14 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Brooklyn-bound (R) on the Brighton Line at Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center

Manhattan-bound (N) via tunnel

Manhattan-bound (R) via bridge and 6 Avenue

What's going on?

Signal problems at DeKalb and:

Service Change

Northbound (N) and (R) trains are running express from 36 St (Bklyn) to Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr because of a train with mechanical problems at Union St.

Boy am I glad I have a 9:15 this semester...

Anyway

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Service Change

Northbound (N) and (R) trains are running express from 36 St (Bklyn) to Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr because of a train with mechanical problems at Union St.

A friend of mine was on this train... It was a R46 that randomly started smoking in the station and the FDNY had to be called and the train evacuated.

Service Change

There is no (J) train service between Delancey St-Essex St and Broad St in both directions because of signal problems between Fulton St and Chambers St.

As an alternative, you can take the M9, M15 or M55 bus for service between Broad St and Delancey St-Essex St.

41 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Boy am I glad I have a 9:15 this semester...

Anyway

A friend of mine was on this train... It was a R46 that randomly started smoking in the station and the FDNY had to be called and the train evacuated.

Started smoking....What the hell....<_<

7 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Started smoking....What the hell....<_<

I have no sessions at all as all of my students are on vacation, so I won't be touching the subway for anything this week.  I had one parent contact me about resuming last week.  I basically pushed everything back until after Labor Day, as I have no interest in tutoring in this weather.   It'll be complete hell because of the heat. I've been hearing that some lines have really been struggling to make service with ongoing signal problems.

25 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I have no sessions at all as all of my students are on vacation, so I won't be touching the subway for anything this week.  I had one parent contact me about resuming last week.  I basically pushed everything back until after Labor Day, as I have no interest in tutoring in this weather.   It'll be complete hell because of the heat. I've been hearing that some lines have really been struggling to make service with ongoing signal problems.

Lately ive been trying to use the lines that's the most reliable even if i have to make a transfer or two or walk an additional block or two....

2 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Lately ive been trying to use the lines that's the most reliable even if i have to make a transfer or two or walk an additional block or two....

I don't blame you.  Stations like 96th street are really bad in this weather.  42nd is horrible too... Unbearable in fact. They should make it a requirement to add an HVAC system to all stations that are rehabbed. Instead they focus on pretty mezzanines.... 

So that switch that's being repaired at 149-GC...

Delays

Southbound (2) and (5) trains are running with delays because of switch problems at 149 St-Grand Concourse.

Stay tuned to see whether this evolves...

EDIT:

Delays

Southbound (B) and (D) trains are running with delays while we repair a rail at 7 Av.

Posted: 8/27/18 2:00 PM

Based on Subway Time:

Some (D) trains are running via Culver

(N) and (F) trains are being rerouted via West End to replace the (D)

UPDATE (2:47 PM)

The 7th Avenue rail situation has evolved

Service Change

There are delays and service changes on the (A) , (B) , (C) , (D) , and (F) lines between Manhattan and Brooklyn while we repair a rail at 7 Av.

There is limited (B) train service in both directions.

Southbound (C) trains are running express from 145 St to 59 St-Columbus Circle.

There is limited southbound (D) train service between midtown Manhattan and Brooklyn; (D) trains are being rerouted over the (A) line from 59 St-Columbus Circle to Jay St-MetroTech

There is no southbound (D) train service in Brooklyn; (D) trains are being rerouted over the (F) line from Jay St-MetroTech to Coney Island-Stillwell Av. 

For service to/from bypassed stations along the (D) line in Brooklyn, see a station agent to receive a courtesy pass for continuing train or bus service.

For service to/from bypassed stations, please use northbound service.

UPDATE (3:25 PM)

The 7th Avenue rail situation is over. However, the 149-GC switch problem has evolved.

Service Change

There is limited (2) and (5) train service between Manhattan and the Bronx in both directions because of switch problems at 149 St-Grand Concourse.

Based on Subway Time:

SB (5) trains are running via 7th Avenue

QBL's turn in today's fiasco...

Service Change

There is no (F) train service in either direction between Parsons Blvd and Jamaica-179 St because of a gas leak at street level near Jamaica-179 St

(F) train service is also reduced between 71 Av-Forest Hills and Parsons Blvd.

Not mentioned:

(E) service to/from Jamaica-179 Street is suspended for the mean time, where the 179 Street-bound trains will terminate is uncertain.

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't blame you.  Stations like 96th street are really bad in this weather.  42nd is horrible too... Unbearable in fact. They should make it a requirement to add an HVAC system to all stations that are rehabbed. Instead they focus on pretty mezzanines.... 

I imagine that any new platform ACs work about as well as the ones at Grand Central. They're fine if you're standing directly below the vents, but move a couple feet in any direction and you're back to boiling on the platform. With the HVAC kickouts from every passing train and the relative openness of the subway stations themselves, it would be extremely difficult to cool down the stations in any significant way. That's why it's always brought up as a secondary benefit of full-height PSDs.

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

QBL's turn in today's fiasco...

Service Change

There is no (F) train service in either direction between Parsons Blvd and Jamaica-179 St because of a gas leak at street level near Jamaica-179 St

(F) train service is also reduced between 71 Av-Forest Hills and Parsons Blvd.

Not mentioned:

(E) service to/from Jamaica-179 Street is suspended for the mean time, where the 179 Street-bound trains will terminate is uncertain.

I wouldn't be surprised if those (E) trains are cut back to 71 Avenue or are abandoned entirely.

9 minutes ago, Lance said:

I imagine that any new platform ACs work about as well as the ones at Grand Central. They're fine if you're standing directly below the vents, but move a couple feet in any direction and you're back to boiling on the platform. With the HVAC kickouts from every passing train and the relative openness of the subway stations themselves, it would be extremely difficult to cool down the stations in any significant way. That's why it's always brought up as a secondary benefit of full-height PSDs.

It's hell in Grand Central on the subway platforms, but that little breeze (albeit small) still helps until a train comes assuming you stand in the right spot. lol  I actually haven't used the subway in a few weeks now. When I've had to head to the UES, I've taken one of the 3rd Avenue buses. Seems like others have a similar thought in mind. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8