Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay guys, the MTA has updated their alert on the DeKalb Av fire:

Service Change Posted: 08/14/2012 6:29PM

Due to a cable fire at the DeKalb Avenue Station, there are significant service changes and delays on several subway lines.

There is no b.png service between the 34 St- Herald Square Station and the Brighton Beach Station, b.png service is operating between the 34 Street- Herald Square Station and the Bedford Park Blvd Station.

There is no d.png service between the 34 Street- Herald Square Station and the Atlantic Avenue - Barclays Center Station. d.png service is operating in two sections between the 34 Street - Herald Square Station and the Norwood- 205 Street Station and the Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue Station and the Atlantic Avenue - Barclays Center Station.

Some Stillwell Avenue f.png service is operating via the g.png between the Queens Plaza Station and the Jay Street -MetroTech Station.

There is no n.pngq.png or r.png service between Lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn.

n.png service is operating between the Coney Island- Stillwell Avenue Station and the 36 Street (BKLYN) Station.

q.png service is operating between the Coney Island -Stillwell Ave Station and the Prospect Park Station.

r.png service is operating between the 95 Street Station and the 36 Street (BKLYN) Station at this time.

They seem to have fixed all of the typos and general mistakes...

I am going to ask a what I consider a very stupid series of questions.

Does anyone proofread these advisories? Does anyone check these advisories to make sure that they are accurate and providing correct information? Does anyone look at a map? Does anyone ride the subway? (As if they did they would not be writing these advisories this way).

This is not the first time this has happened (and members of the forum including myself will attest to the numerous times that it has happened) and it seems that the ones who write these advisories do not care about the riding public getting to and from where they are going but to write and send something that indicates that they have done their job. We know that the traffic reporters on the radio dont know anything either as otherwise they would correct these errors before they would report it as well.

Maybe as part of the job specifications, the persons who write these advisories should be tested in their knowledge of the subway and bus system (and the streets as well) prior to being offered this position. They should be tested periodically to make sure that they know about what they are writing before something as confusing as this is sent out.

I just got home after trying to catch at train at Grand Street around 4:14pm. I ended up going to Canal Street and taking an (R), which wasn't too bad until it stalled at Rector Street. The signals were all red and there appeared to be an R160 behind the train. I figured things weren't looking too good for Brooklyn-bound trains, and then an announcement said that trains were not running between Whitehall Street and Brooklyn. So around 4:30~4:45 was when the MTA figured out that trains weren't going to make it through Dekalb Avenue even via tunnel. At that point, I took the slow (4) train from Wall Street to Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center.

Making my was to the BMT 4 Avenue platform and descending the stairs, I saw there was a huge crowd of people probably waiting for 20 minutes at least. A keen observer noted that trains were empty on the other platform which meant they were turning trains back at the station. An empty (R) pulled into the express track and half the platform emptied itself into the train. I was going to Coney Island, but I figured I could get some relief from the heat until 36 Street or 59 Street. The train ended up running express to 36 Street where it was announced that it would be running to Kings Highway. "This train is now an (N)!"

At 59 Street, an R160 (R) waited across the platform. I don't know if the (R) trains were single-tracking, but on the other express track was an (N) shuttle train heading to 36 Street. The "(R)" train I was on ended up at Kings Highway where it terminated and dump everyone on the platform.

This mess happened just about the same time as I started my commute back home...

At about 5:30 PM, I was at Atlantic Ave waiting for the (N)...

All (D), (N), and (R) trains were running express from Atlantic Ave to 36th St at that time.

The headway for all three lines were like 20 minutes...

Edited by nu1116

Update:

As of 8:33 PM:

Following a cable fire near the Dekalb Ave station that impacted late afternoon and early evening subway service, (B) and (D) service between Midtown Manhattan and Brooklyn has been restored with residual delays. Service has also been restored on the (N), (Q) and (R) between Lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn. The cause of the cable fire is still under investigation. While repairs are made, there may be residual delays in the vicinity of Dekalb Ave. Monitor Service Status for up to date service information. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Service Change  Posted: 08/15/2012  5:32PM

Due to a train with mechanical problems on the Williamsburg Bridge:

Metropolitan bound (M)terminate at Myrtle- Wyckoff Avenue Station

Broad Street bound (J) terminate at the Marcy Avenue Station.

Please expect delays on the (J) and (M) train service.

I have a question.Can (M) trains really terminate there? Are there switches there?

Another catastrophe:

Delays Posted: 08/15/2012 5:39PM

Due to an ongoing incident at the 36 Street Station (BKLYN), uptown d.png and n.png train service running with delays at this time.

Delays Posted: 08/15/2012 5:36PM

Following an earlier incident on the Williamsburg Bridge, j.png and m.png service has resumed with residual delays.

Service Change Posted: 08/15/2012 5:21PM

Due to person requiring medical assistance at the W8 Street- NY Aquarium Station:

Some Forest Hills bound f.png service via the n.png from the Coney Island- Stillwell Avenue to the Broadway Lafayette Station.

Some Forest Hills bound f.png service via the d.png from the Coney Island- Stillwell Avenue to the Broadway Lafayette Station.

Please expect delyas on the d.png, f.png and n.png.

Service Change Posted: 08/15/2012 5:03PM

Due to a tree hanging low over tracks at the NewKirk Avenue Station:

Astoria bound q.png train service running express from the Kings Highway Station to the Prospect Park Station and regular route.

b.png service has resumed from the Kings Highway Stion to the Bedford Park Blvd Station.

Please expect delays on the b.png, n.png and q.png trains at this time.

Service Change Posted: 08/15/2012 4:55PM

Due to an electrical problem at the 18 Avenue Station, d.png train service bypassing the 18 Avenue Station at this time.

Please expect delays on the d.png train service at this time.

The grammar is getting worse! They even spelled station wrong! They probably might've suspended the (B), it says the (B)resumed service. And also, since when does the (F) terminate at Forest Hills?

Edited by TrainFanInfinity